Pokemon Bank and 1st Gen Mega Evolutions.

Knight

So there was another Pokemon Direct, and they announced a couple of new things. First thing was this new Pokemon Bank, an online cloud where you can store Pokemon, up to 3000 of them in fact. It's a paid service however, but you can also use it to bring Pokemon from the 5th gen games over to X and Y. They also announced three new mega evolutions, based on the Kanto starters final evolutions. Mega Venusaur gets Thick Fat upon evolution, Blastoise gets a new ability called Mega Launcher, and Charizard gets a Sp. Atk boost as well as drought (goodbye Ninetails). I'm not sure if their typing has changed.

ku-xlarge.png

"Mega Venusaur gets Thick Fat upon evolution"

Incoming fanboys overrating this, but this can be cool when done right

"Blastoise gets a new ability called Mega Launcher"

Send Blastoise to the graveyard and special summon 2 Blastoise from the deck! Wait, wrong game

"and Charizard gets a Sp. Atk boost as well as drought (goodbye Ninetails). I'm not sure if their typing has changed."

STEALTH ROOOOOCKKKKK!!!

Charizard kinda looks like..... a Wyvern or something

Blastoise looks cool

Edited by JSND

I think Charizard may get a boost up in the tiers, since drought is such a coveted ability and Charizard's stats are better than Ninetails. Volcarona can still stand in OU despite the stealth rock weakness.

Hmm, that Bank thing's fee is annual. Makes me think it's gonna be compatible with at least the next two Gens after VI... perhaps. Otherwise, unless they don't really plan to make much money out of it, it's something I see them having in use for at least 5 or so years, considering the actual fee...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I think Charizard may get a boost up in the tiers, since drought is such a coveted ability and Charizard's stats are better than Ninetails. Volcarona can still stand in OU despite the stealth rock weakness.

Volcarona is usually the kind of pokemon that switch in 1 - 2 times and close the game

Ninetales.... not so much.

Granted, I can see Charizard replacing Ninetales because he only need to switch in 1 - 2 times in short matches but we still need to see how gen 6 meta plays out, or how important that "1 Mega Pokemon per team" slot is

Edited by JSND

I like the new forms, but I hope the gen 1 starters won't overshadow the new ones too much.

A Venesaur with thick fat and some extra defense sounds pretty nice.

Blastoise looks awesome with the arm cannon.

Charizard looks...not that different, but drought is a pretty good ability from what I've heard.

Also I never played competitively, but why is Ninetales seen as that horrible aside from getting the sun up? Its pretty fast, 100 special defense is pretty nice and its 81 attack should still hurt, considering its fire attacks are boosted. I never used one either so I don't know much about its moveset. Did't it learn a lot of psychic and ghost attacks along with having an instant solar beam with drought up?

I like the idea of pokemon bank, not so hot on the fee though. *Sigh*, I hope its not too high though considering its my only way of transferring the old ones so far.

And yay, more Mega Evolutions! I know there won't be one for every pokemon line, but they way they worded it sounds like there may be a lot more than expected hopefully!

Also I never played competitively, but why is Ninetales seen as that horrible aside from getting the sun up? Its pretty fast, 100 special defense is pretty nice and its 81 attack should still hurt, considering its fire attacks are boosted. I never used one either so I don't know much about its moveset. Did't it learn a lot of psychic and ghost attacks along with having an instant solar beam with drought up?

Stealth Rock Weakness

Water Weakness

Rock Weakness

Spikes vulnerability

Rather fragile

One of the most common Rock Type being 8 Speed above it

Tyranitar switch in being a nightmare most of the time

Ehhh, theres a lot of them

I hate charizard's current ability so drought is great. And that mega Blastoise. Not just arm cannons but arm shells? Being able to pick two starters means I have to pick blastoise and someone else. but I would never pick two waters so its down to the other two pokemon.

So if these 3 got Mega forms along with the already known Blaziken. I wonder if any other starters are, also wow Gamefreak if Charizard does not get a part dragon type from this mega form you done goofed.

I heard another rumour about the price of Pokemon Bank. It comes to the awful substantial annual fee of: $5.00, and to top off their cruelty, they made it a free trial until 2014.

I'm awfully intrigued by the competitive idea of mega venusaur...

I am also disappointed by mega charizard, he almost looks weaker than normal charizard, plus he's still fire flying, I think it's time to give up the earthquake invulnerability for dragon-ness.

I don't know much about the competitive aspects of pokemon, but aren't there some teams that have both Tyranitar and Hippopatos as to sustain sandstorm weather better? People saying Ninetails getting replaced, but I could see DOUBLE SUN POWERRRRR teams being a thing. One dies, you still have another to pull the sun out. Means you could more freely have Ninetails sacrifice itself for the greater good, since it's death no longer means your sun team is automatically drowned in a bathtub.

That being said, I like the design of the mega forms. All except Venusaur's. They made the plant bigger and put a plant on his head. Seems a little lazy in comparison. That being said, Charizard now looks even more like a dragon, but he's still Fire/Flying? Probably due to it having Drought thus being a second Sunbringer, but still...He's a damn dragon! Look at him!

(so much for Fire/Dragon, huh? AMPHAROS became a dragon before Charizard...)

Venusaur getting Thick Fat is good to make him a better tank, but I wonder if it's going to be better than what Chlorophyll made him in Gen 5. There's pretty good competition out there for a subseeder and I think Breloom still got it best.

Charizard got an awesome ability, but keeping the Flying type is puzzling considering he's an actually draconic orange Garchomp. I wouldn't go so far as to say he'd be overpowered with Dragon instead of Flying with Fairies around the corner, but Flying is generally redundant in terms of offense and only really helps against Ground and Fighting.

Blastoise not getting Steel is also a bit of a downer, but the new ability seems to be a bonus to pulse moves which is fairly neat if the new stats allow him to get some actual oomph. Kinda weird Lucario didn't get that since he's the Pokémon with most of the pulse moves though. He looks a bit like Rhyperior with his arm cannons but he doesn't look retarded at least.

Also it seems there's a new llama Pokémon around. Check it out : http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/New_Pok%C3%A9mon_spotted_in_Pok%C3%A9mon_Direct

Edited by Woodshooter

I may wind up with like...three freaking fire starters at the beginning of the game. =I Dat's bad, right?

Same for me. Maybe I'll add Volcarona, Arcanine and something and I'll have my own mono fire team.

I'm fine with 90% of today's Pokémon Direct news. An online, cloud box, under perfect conditions, is a great idea. (Well, unless you have multiple siblings and you're all sharing one bank of boxes - that's just asking for headaches.) More Mega Evolutions is good - the more that have them, the less of a waste of time the mechanic will seem like. (There's just no point in introducing the mechanic if only a small fraction of Pokémon can even make use of it.) Though, I would have honestly preferred that it wasn't for starters. The new consoles are meh to me, but I'm sure that younger kids will clamor for them.

I'm kinda annoyed that Game Freak brought the Gen I starters in, especially since they get Mega Evolutions too. Right now, it seems like they're drawing the focus away from the new starters. However, it's a decent marketing tactic, since it can draw on the nostalgia factor to try and draw more of the old diehards back into the fold. The thing that really grinds my gears (though, it was still expected) is that you can only transfer from Gen V, despite all of the Gen IV games being developed on the same hardware as Gen V. It's not like Gen V removed mechanics from IV, so I fail to see why they couldn't have just let it go the whole way back to Diamond and Pearl outside of the fact that Game Freak has continually shown that they're simply inept half of the time.

I love that new llama pokemon.

I totally bet it'll be water normal.

'Cuz llamas spit.

Maybe have some big saliva drop rolling down its face in its final form, without making it creepy, because in the one picture there is, it's pretty adorable.

Also I take back everything I said about mega Charizard, except for how lame his lack of dragon type is.

He looks like a real dragon. I love it.

I can't wait to yell "Fus Ro Dah!" when he uses dragon pulse.