Pokemon X/Y General Thread

Quintessence

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that Ice types suck.

It's that the combination of Ice and Rock types suck.

Like I think it's calculated to be the worst defensive type in the game.

And every Ice-type that exists, with the exceptions of Regice and Kyurem, can be found in Kalos, so we'd already know if one of them experienced an ability change. Those two are pretty much the last hope.

Though by all means GameFreak, give it to something like Mega Lapras if such a thing exists.

Or Mega Cryogonal with the Ice-type Rapid Spin.

Edited by Professor Palutena

Protean is pretty amazing. I don't think anyone would really care all that much about Greninja if he didn't have it as a hidden ability. Bulletproof is also fairly intriguing in that it gives outright immunities to certain moves. And obviously Stance Change + King's Shield makes Aegislash incredibly unique.

It's actually hard to pick just one ability to call it the best because there were a lot of good abilities added this gen. But I think Protean is just amazing mindgames when combined with Greninja's access to different priority moves.

Edit: Greninja'd

Edited by Samias

Protean Greninja is basically Genesect done right + given the ability to break through Genesect's counter

I wonder how long will it take until Greninja is played as Genesect 0.5, because right now many still use it as fully Special Attacking "sweeper" instead of momentum giver(see: no U Turn plox), or not running full ATK spread(because IIRC most of the special targets are weak enough) >_>

Edited by Choujin Sentai Chesnaught

Woo, first egg from 4 IV parents got my 5 IV Mawile. Unfortunately, I forgot that A. Play Rough isn't an egg move so I didn't have to train an Azumarill for it, and B. I forgot that Ice Fang is an egg move. The best moveset for MegaMawile is something like Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Iron Head, and Ice Fang, right? And is Adamant or Jolly better?

Edited by Konnor97

Adamant is definitely the better choice. Stone Edge and Thunder Punch can also be used as coverage move instead of Ice punch. Sword Dance is also a good choice since it combines with Huge Power to give an enormous boost.

Woo, first egg from 4 IV parents got my 5 IV Mawile. Unfortunately, I forgot that A. Play Rough isn't an egg move so I didn't have to train an Azumarill for it, and B. I forgot that Ice Fang is an egg move. The best moveset for MegaMawile is something like Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Iron Head, and Ice Fang, right? And is Adamant or Jolly better?

I'm personally running Power-Up Punch for now, in place of Ice Fang. It lets Mawile hit steel types that would normally wall her. I'm wondering what exactly you need Ice Fang for?

I'm personally running Power-Up Punch for now, in place of Ice Fang. It lets Mawile hit steel types that would normally wall her. I'm wondering what exactly you need Ice Fang for?

Sucker Punch now it's Steel for neutral damage, so it doesn't really matter that it walls it's 2 STAB. And power up punch is a decent option, but it's low BP make it an unsure option.

Also, nevermind the Thunder punch suggestion, it's a gen5 only move. And I maintain that Ice fang could also be replaced by Sword Dance.

Sucker Punch now it's Steel for neutral damage, so it doesn't really matter that it walls it's 2 STAB. And power up punch is a decent option, but it's low BP make it an unsure option.

Also, nevermind the Thunder punch suggestion, it's a gen5 only move. And I maintain that Ice fang could also be replaced by Sword Dance.

Well, I would prefer not to use Sucker Punch on steel walls because of its low PP. Steel types could just wear it down by using status moves. Power-Up Punch might have low BP, but it is at least being backed up by Mega Mawile's monsterous attack.

Greninja without Protean is better than talonflame without galeforce, but both are crappy.

I dunno, the "no Protean is definitely the best new skill" comments indicate some would disagree, given no other Pokemon have those (besides lolKecleon)

I actually believe Gale wings is better than Protean. I've never had any problem facing a greninja with protean, but talonflame with galewings gave me some headaches before putting rotom-w on my team

Priority Brave bird is just insane. Most times I can kill a greninja before it even scratches me. And lol @ grass knot on rotom-W.

Edited by Nobody

I swear I remember seeing that Ice Punch (Ice Fang as a replacement) was a good move for Mawile somewhere. I guess I was thinking more about potential ground types that could heavily damage Mawile, instead of actual coverage. Also because I didn't really know that Mawile could get stuff like PuP. So I guess PuP it is for Mawile, since I don't think it absolutely needs the +2 Attack on it immediately, and I'd rather do some damage while I'm boosting.

So I guess my Mawile was actually good to go then. Anybody want a Mawile before I Wonder Trade the suckers?