Retail or Digital games (for the 3DS)?

Fruity Insanity

Which one?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Retail or Digital?

• Retail, 'cause digital is too intangible.
    • Digital, 'cause it's way more convenient and is the way gaming is heading, anyway.
    • Dunno, depends, I guess.

With handhelds, I like having digital copies of games, that way I can carry everything at once. With a console, I prefer the hard copy. So for 3DS games, unless it's Pokemon, I'll go digital.

I like cartridges (more than discs despite my platform of preference, oddly) so the only digital game I have is Project X Zone, which I bought with mostly my FE13/SMT4 promo dosh. I don't really have any complaints with digital, I guess, I just like popping cartridges in and out. \o/?

Physical, especially considering the way nintendo handles digital content

I can't really say it any better than this. I'm not too fond of the idea that I'll lose my digital games and DLC if something happens to my 3DS.

I wouldn't be sure. Both ways have cons to me, it makes it hard to judge. Physical has the problem of needing to import, and currently I'm without a passport to just go to the US. I'd buy here, but it costs more. Same for digital copies, they cost more than the prices on the US and with the way the eShop is handled, it's a bit unappealing.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'd prefer having an actual disk/cartridge, but I'm fine with digital releases.

^

e.g. I bought Awakening at 12AM because I couldn't wait like 10 hours (nor would I have had the time to buy it/play it then).

But for the most part I prefer retail because I like boxes and limited editions and stuff. I even enjoy the little trip to go get the game because it's slightly more memorable for me. The receipts are annoying, sure, but I even feel like I'm getting more of my money's worth by buying a physical copy. Digital is just like, so instant and all just so I could download some bytes, I don't really have anything to show for my money except like an icon on my 3DS and said download takes forever most of the time because of a crappy internet speed.

Retail is especially important for new games and big-time games for me, which is why the digital-only release of PW5 bothers me... that's a game I'd really like to get a physical copy of, unlike virtual console games or small-time indie games and stuff like that

Oh I actually forgot physical games are so overpriced here in Brazil (R$ 140, which is like 70 dollars for a 3ds game). That's the only reason I bought some 3ds digital games, including awakening (well, i couldn't find awakening in stores, so that certainly contributed).

No way I'll buy pokemon digital, though. It's too valuable to me, so the price will be worthy it, and i feel like my 3ds could die in a year or two. I don't want to ever lose my pokemans!

Edited by Nobody

Some games are better to have digitally, such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and Etrian Odyssey IV. Other games...well, I'd prefer buying them retail.

I like the physical copies, I am afraid of the day when Nintendo shuts downs their servers for the 3ds and stops taking requests to grab your digital copy. I still would like to play my 3ds after that day, so physical. Also it is harder for Nintendo to seize games. With digital, just a bit of code to a 3ds and it is locked. While for a physical they have to rip it out of my hands. So for me its a rights issue and the extreme off chance that Nintendo will lock their 3ds games for whatever reason. I just don't like companies having that power over something I purchased.

and the ability to create save back-ups.

My 300+ Awakening save backups would like a word with you. I have only cartridges.

I'm pretty sure I'm only limited by the space on my hard drives for said save backups.

While I'm sure they'd have a limited number for the backups on digital copies.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Depends. For full games like FE:A or Animal Crossing, i prefer the physical copy. But for smaller, VC style junk or low priced shorter games, i really like having them all on my 3DS digitally. (What? SpeedX 3D helps me wind down!) The only game that i have digitally that has a retail release is Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I prefer to have Retail Games for the 3DS and that I can to save up for SpotPass stuff, DLC content, Videos, the Nintendo 3DS downloadable-only games like Chrashmo, Pokedex 3D, 3D Classics series, GBA Virtual Console from the Ambassador Program, etc., Images, and maybe add FlipNote content (until they release FlipNote Studio 3D) so that I save enough room on my SD card.

Edited by Prince Chrom of Ylisse

My 300+ Awakening save backups would like a word with you. I have only cartridges.

I'm pretty sure I'm only limited by the space on my hard drives for said save backups.

While I'm sure they'd have a limited number for the backups on digital copies.

Tell them that I have better things to do than grind for 99,999 renown... twice. :P

Anyway, I was talking about the fact that you could create save back-ups without the need for a save dongle. >_<

Tell them that I have better things to do than grind for 99,999 renown... twice. :P

Anyway, I was talking about the fact that you could create save back-ups without the need for a save dongle. >_<

Pfft. Don't care.

IkItDKE.png

Get at me bro.