So the US Government just shut down

Eail

Let's be fair. They did get something. The lowest approval ratings of any party in history.

And yet somehow I feel this won't hurt that many of them politically.

Edit: Dat moment when you realize that neither of the Representatives of the two districts you live in voted to approve the CR.

Edited by shinpichu

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrymandered districts can only take you so far, man. This is going to hurt them pretty bad.

A lot of the GOP members who voted "no" whenever it was back in the states are in, what, R+20 districts right now or something? This definitely might hurt a lot of Republicans in some of the more purple districts (such as Denham's or Gary Miller's in California or Joe Heck in southern Clark County or Michael Grimm on Staten Island or Frank Wolf in Northern Virginia, all of whom voted "yes" but whose districts went for Obama last year).

Of course, one year is a pretty long time and a lot of the electorate...doesn't exactly display a long memory (or might listen to CNN talking about how "both sides couldn't compromise" or shit like that). Then again, I hear the Tea Party is gearing up for another shutdown grandstand, and if they do this repeatedly...

...then we might get to see what single-digit approval ratings look like. Hell, I'm pretty sure the Democrats are ecstatic as the possibility of another. Especially one in February, because it'll be right smack dab in 2014 where even the short attention span of the public won't soon forget it.

Also this article made me smile

This is the hidden blessing of the GOP gerrymandering themselves into R+20 districts after winning control of a ton of state legislatures in 2010. Now, they have a bunch of far-right crazies in Congress who probably got into office promising to shut the government down, and then they're in blood-red districts so that they don't have to care about trying to appear remotely centrist. Meanwhile, they'll be in a lot of trouble in the more purple districts they hold.

ouch, from an awful state to the (2nd) worst state

The saving grace of this is that I live in Austin/Huntsville, which seem to be better than the rest of the state that they're part of.

Not sure if Alabama is the 2nd worst. Louisiana and Mississippi seem to be pretty bad as well.