So the US Government just shut down

Eail

So, if I'm reading correctly, the House has passed a rule that restricts the ability to put forth a motion to vote on a bill to the Speaker of the House.

Also, theoretically, Ted Cruz might be able to force a default all by himself, even with all other parties willing to pass something (ha, etc)

[Close the city, and

tell the people, that

something's coming to call

[Death and darkness, are

rushing forward, to

take a bite, from the wall, oh]

Edited by Rehab

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if I'm reading correctly, the House has passed a rule that restricts the ability to put forth a motion to vote on a bill to the Speaker of the House.

Also, theoretically, Ted Cruz might be able to force a default all by himself, even with all other parties willing to pass something (ha, etc)

[Close the city, and

tell the people, that

something's coming to call

[Death and darkness, are

rushing forward, to

take a bite, from the wall, oh]

Holy crap. That's crazy. And also impossible to follow.

And also, Ted Cruz promised to be on his behavior:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-senate-deal-vote-government-shutdown-debt-ceiling-98291.html?hp=f2

Edited by Viewtiful_J

Dunno dude, Cantor might be sharpening the long knives at the moment

edit: this made me laugh until i realized it would fuck me over too

aiHCSDL.gif

Edited by Soran Ibrahim

The radio implied this morning that most of the Republicans finally decided to stop killing the economy with the exception of one crazy guy in Texas who reckons that people are overstating how bad social security collapsing and the country going technically bankrupt would really be. That was like six hours ago. Is this accurate?

(it also said things would work out alright and the Republicans held an approval rating in the low 20s)

The radio implied this morning that most of the Republicans finally decided to stop killing the economy with the exception of one crazy guy in Texas who reckons that people are overstating how bad social security collapsing and the country going technically bankrupt would really be. That was like six hours ago. Is this accurate?

(it also said things would work out alright and the Republicans held an approval rating in the low 20s)

If the crazy guy from Texas is Ted Cruz then yes, from what I understand that's accurate.

I've also heard that most Republicans would be willing to compromise with Obama/not defund the ACA, but not publicly because they don't want to be seen as cooperating with the President.

Not entire accurate. There are still 30 to 40 extremely member in the House willing to let us go into default and keep the government shut down.

The government shutdown is bad, but default will be worse. We need the Senate to pass a bill extending the debt limit. Its smart to tie this to ending the government shutdown so we will solve (or kick the can down the line) these problems. After the Senate passes, we still need the House to pass the same bill as well. This should happen before Thursday.

And although the media calls it compromise, it's not really compromise. It's the Republicans agreeing to not to keep trying to repeal an existing law. Due to the sequester and their previous agreement, we are already funding the government at the Republicans demanded levels.

I doubt if the bill goes to the House there will be even half of the Republicans supporting it. Pretty much all the dems will support the bill, but Republicans don't want to vote for it because they might get primaried.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

If the crazy guy from Texas is Ted Cruz then yes, from what I understand that's accurate.

I've also heard that most Republicans would be willing to compromise with Obama/not defund the ACA, but not publicly because they don't want to be seen as cooperating with the President.

Yeah, Pat Toomey (the Republican co-sponsor of a universal background check bill earlier this year) straight up said that his earlier bill failed because a ton of his party didn't want to be seen as helping Obama under any circumstances.

I doubt if the bill goes to the House there will be even half of the Republicans supporting it. Pretty much all the dems will support the bill, but Republicans don't want to vote for it because they might get primaried.

Yeah, Pat Toomey (the Republican co-sponsor of a universal background check bill earlier this year) straight up said that his earlier bill failed because a ton of his party didn't want to be seen as helping Obama under any circumstances.

Really this shouldn't be surprising. It's a result of how we elect our Congresspeople. There aren't nearly enough competitive districts in the US right now, so the only way a candidate can lose their seat is via primary.

Things may be looking up, at least on the debt limit. Even this pretty much amounts to "let's kick this problem down the line and worry about it later."

Edit: Or not.

Your second article is from an earlier date, and involves the failed House deal Boehner tried, while the top deals with the Senate.

Really this shouldn't be surprising. It's a result of how we elect our Congresspeople. There aren't nearly enough competitive districts in the US right now, so the only way a candidate can lose their seat is via primary.

California has moved to an open primary system where the top two candidates move on, regardless of party. It's working out very well for us. I think it would be a good model for every other state.

neither of these issues were problems until the republicans made it a problem. The government budget has already been cut due to sequester cut, while the debt ceiling was raised to no argument because it was basically paying off our current bills. The deficit has dropped dramatically based on current projections.

Oh, and the Senate leaders have reached a deal. Boehner is probably going to put it on the floor, and hope it doesn't break the Hastert rule.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

Your second article is from an earlier date, and involves the failed House deal Boehner tried, while the top deals with the Senate.

DERPITY DERP

California has moved to an open primary system where the top two candidates move on, regardless of party. It's working out very well for us. I think it would be a good model for every other state.

Sounds nifty. What I'd really like is for the US to implement something like MMP for Congress.

John Boehner: That fight [against the ACA] will continue. But blocking the bipartisan agreement reached today by the members of the Senate will not be a tactic for us. In addition to the risk of default, doing so would open the door for the Democratic majority in Washington to raise taxes again on the American people and undo the spending caps in the 2011 Budget Control Act without replacing them with better spending cuts. With our nation’s economy still struggling under years of the president’s policies, raising taxes is not a viable option. Our drive to stop the train wreck that is the president’s health care law will continue. We will rely on aggressive oversight that highlights the law’s massive flaws and smart, targeted strikes that split the legislative coalition the president has relied upon to force his health care law on the American people.

Well, thank Ashera we've got a guy like him on Team Amurrica.

It seems to be temporary. . .and I hope we don't see this fiasco in a few months!

technically, any CR is temporary. A CR is done because the budget doesnt cover those date usually. The debt stuff, though. That's shorted than usual.

I doubt the Republicans will try this again. If they do this next time, it will actually be in 2014. Which will mean voters have a good chance of remembering by elections.

But never underestimate a dumb senator. Keep in mind, Ted Cruz has only been in office for nine months! We still got 5 more years of this guy!

Edited by Viewtiful_J

So Congress has decided to end the shutdown, huh?

More like enough of the house GOP realized that defaulting and harming the dollar's status as the world's reserve currency and crashing the world economy like a drunken monkey piloting a helicopter wouldn't be good

Oh, here's a map of the vote: Boehner did indeed have to break "the Hastert Rule" again, like with Sandy