Post good Metal here

Espinosa

i was just talking to a friend about swano's stuff last night since he's going back through edge of sanity's discography.

i haven't dug through his entire backlog (cus holy fuck) but pan.thy.monium and infestdead are top fucking quality. early edge of sanity is pretty good but around purgatory afterglow they start getting really inconsistent with the albums being 50/50 with good/bad parts or worse imo.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An album from my childhood; I almost forgot how good this is. Overall, Dan is phenomenal and it's ridiculous what intricate compositions one man could come up with for the lyrical subjects of love drama and sadness, cyborgs, Egyptian mythology and douchebag atheism. Oh, and how could I forget procreation in times of apocalypse? Dan is the man.

Everything Dan Swano touches is gold. From this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMr2KjNluiQ

to this (His first band, circa age 17)

(Unicorn was more Progressive rock than anything - That's where Dan's true influences and love lie.

EoS wallops eos (pun unintended), but for me Nightingale is where it's at. Those faggoty songs make me cry sometimes; excellent stuff.

Been a while since I heard Pan.thy.Monium and I barely remember what that sounded like; better do some research. I also realise to my dismay that I've never heard Unicorn.

iirc Dan released a new album like a year or two ago (prog-metal with conceptual lyrics?), it was okay but forgettable imho.

edit: yeah Dan's really into old (and not so old) prog. iirc Marillion is his favourite band. Never got into them myself though, aside from specific tracks that I like coming back to every once in a while.

Edited by Espinosa

EoS wallops eos (pun unintended), but for me Nightingale is where it's at. Those faggoty songs make me cry sometimes; excellent stuff.

Been a while since I heard Pan.thy.Monium and I barely remember what that sounded like; better do some research. I also realise to my dismay that I've never heard Unicorn.

iirc Dan released a new album like a year or two ago (prog-metal with conceptual lyrics?), it was okay but forgettable imho.

edit: yeah Dan's really into old (and not so old) prog. iirc Marillion is his favourite band. Never got into them myself though, aside from specific tracks that I like coming back to every once in a while.

That album was Witherscape. it's not bad, just not up to Nightingale's level I'd argue.

I wish he'd release Second Sky, which is supposedly elements of Nightingale and Unicorn brought together in one band. Sadly it's been almost nine years and there;s been little to show for it.

Edited by Siuloir

^ I need to give those another chance. Frankly, I can't really listen to anything after Elegy, which is G-d tier metal.

The second record and Elegy is what I tend to come back to; the lasting appeal is surprisingly high as I think I first heard it a half or so of my life back and I still enjoy all of it (whereas I burn out of most of my favourites as a kid eventually, like a lot of Opeth's stuff and the classics... Sabbath w/ Ozzy is an exception though).

Tuonela, Elegy's successor, tries to be all proggy with funny sounding guitars but it's just so forgettable. I really dig this track though:

Isn't this the band where ELP's drummer came from?

btw I'm dying to know what this was right now; some years back I was shown a song that had a Sabbathesque riff made in like early 60s or so. I don't really remember any names or anything that could help.

that's indeed the band with Carl Palmer, but i think he only played on their debut.

i can think of several bands that wrote Sabbathesque riffs in the late 60's, but that much information doesn't bring anything to mind about the early 60's.

i can't put my finger on what you're talking about, but this song came to my head for some reason. no black metal riffs or nothing but noisy, dark stuff from 1970. unfortunately my knowledge of music tends to cut off around 1968.

Edited by bonesaw

I found what I was looking for, thanks to Google... Apparently I first heard about it on Ultimatemetal's forum back in 2005:

This is it, dates back to '69.

What you posted is really cool too, and way ahead of its time.