Post good Metal here

Espinosa

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a vinyl copy of Ramesses' Baptism of the Walking Dead without really knowing much about them because the artwork was cool.

one of my favourite accidental purchases.

Awesome man! And yeah, the artwork to Ramesses albums is always great. Since you like Ramesses, you should also try Electric Wizard.

Edited by BlueDruid356

Don't mind me just posting my favourite band.

I could never appreciate their early stuff as much as I still do with, say, Katatonia beginning with Sound of Decay/Brave Murder Day (Dance of December Souls is pretty much a teenager suicide album so I don't have any reasons to listen to that anymore lol). A Natural Disaster is really great though, especially the title track. Love its live performance on the recent DVD (was about to link to the video but YouTube removed it apparently). The rest of their catalogue... just never grew on me, kinda like the other 'mellow' metal project The Gathering (I just don't like Anneke's vocals), aside from specific tracks.

Speaking of early Katatonia,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkj30qcdjI4

This just never grows old.

I was bored lol

Somewhat related, but Oathean is a pretty neat Koren metal band. It's black metal with ethnic instruments that I don't quite dare to call folk (I wouldn't call Negura Bunget that either), with occasional female vocals (not cheesy though), for some reason really depressing too (must be a Korean thing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Hsoi8OVDU

not metal, but something metal fans might like:

Dance of December Souls is pretty much a teenager suicide album so I don't have any reasons to listen to that anymore lol

ehhhh... it's got melodramatic and ~oh so deep~ lyrics but so does the rest of katatonia's discog, i'm not really sure where you're pulling that from to be honest.

well, i mean, i see where you're pulling it from, rather i don't know where you're pulling that the rest of katatonia's discography isn't the same thing.

the deathspell omega and 1349 bits in that grim kpop video you posted made me snort though, kudos.

ehhhh... it's got melodramatic and ~oh so deep~ lyrics but so does the rest of katatonia's discog, i'm not really sure where you're pulling that from to be honest.

well, i mean, i see where you're pulling it from, rather i don't know where you're pulling that the rest of katatonia's discography isn't the same thing.

Katatonia's always had "personal" lyrics and were oriented towards evoking emotions (in spite of Blakkheim's impressive talent as a composer and performer that don't really let you call them an 'atmospheric' band), but DoDS is about as grandiose as it is immature. I can imagine many still considering it a masterpiece of its genre; hell, I was probably one of these people when I was like 15 lol. The riffs are great, I'll give you that, and it was also the last full-length album where they still tried to apply the melodic death/doom aesthetics (Brave Murder Day is more similar to the albums with clean vocals that followed), but if I try to listen to it now I'll be found somewhere between pain (not in a good way) and embarrassment. Like the bit where Renkse yells out "I love yoooooooou" at the end of one really long song; how fucking tasteless can you get? Thinking about that song now though; yeah, that was some p glorious songwriting, but they topped that by expressing emotion more maturely in later albums.

wrt your appeal that it's just like their later stuff; I already addressed some of that but yeah, I can see where you're coming from, and I'm sure many feel the same way about Tonight's Decision opening track as I do about DoDS. Then in my favourite album from them, you have other pretty emotional songs like Teargas, Future of Speech, Sweet Nurse and many more (also the pronunciation of 'emo' in that one song still makes me chuckle like it did 10 years ago) and I think everything really works out there, though again, I can see how somebody would feel it's pretty faggoty shit.

I'm not opposed to expressions of despair or anything btw; metal just might be a really good medium for that sort of naked thing - I just want it to be done well. One of the more popular albums of this kind that I've been enjoying a lot lately would be:

Kvarforth (whatever you may think of his personality) has a really great performance on the whole thing imho.

Well, the ideas are also different I would say. DoDS is essentially all about being at one's last breath, while the latter albums deal with specific problems dealing with people and other experiences (betrayal, breakups, moving on), and there's overall a big evolution from what hopelessness and emptiness mean to teenager Jonas (which just isn't satisfactory after some point) and what they mean to a grown man well in his thirties.

I do agree with not making the common error of considering metal lyrics "too deep", because it gets ridiculous (it's my main reason for not reading any reviews of music I like because the presentation makes me feel awkward; I guess I recognise myself and my own impressions from music from years back) and usually means the listener hasn't grown up or has done that but to preserve whatever value old favourites had likes to pretend he's got no fucking clue what's going on, what the subject of lyrics could be etc. - even when the metaphors utilised are as simple as they get. I remember when I was a 13 year old on some music forum, there was this German kid who would keep rambling about how mysterious and indecipherable Akerfeldt's lyrics circa BWP were. His problem was that his English vocabulary needed some serious work, but others who, like I dunno, studied some poems, even at high school level, quickly get out of that mindset.

I'm kinda simplifying it though, as a lot of bands rooted somewhere between occultism / philosophy / pseudo-science (and a lot of them fall under that umbrella) do express themselves in ways that cannot really be understood unless you're part of the same circles as far as really unorthodox interests go, often to puzzle and amaze the public on purpose. In those instances it's the old case when words and phrases receive new meanings from certain kinds of unstated knowledge and mythologies.

I could never appreciate their early stuff as much as I still do with, say, Katatonia beginning with Sound of Decay/Brave Murder Day (Dance of December Souls is pretty much a teenager suicide album so I don't have any reasons to listen to that anymore lol). A Natural Disaster is really great though, especially the title track. Love its live performance on the recent DVD (was about to link to the video but YouTube removed it apparently). The rest of their catalogue... just never grew on me, kinda like the other 'mellow' metal project The Gathering (I just don't like Anneke's vocals), aside from specific tracks.

Eh, Katatonia (and a lot of other early doom bands) always usually give me more of a gothic vibe. I don't dislike that but Anathema didn't really lean so much that way, their doom/death stuff is "sludgey" (perfect example *), but at the same time it's not as sludgey as say, early Novembers Doom stuff. It's this nice inbetween niche. I enjoy all their albums though. Not metal sure but w/e, it's kinda the same deal for another one of my favourite bands, Thrice. There's just a really broad spectrum across the whole discography.

embedding it too whatever fuck the police.

(PS My Dying Bride > Katatonia, Aaron's flat "clean" vocal doom owns.)

But w/e, here's another random song, idk if Daylight Dies got brought up before but they're probably my favourite melodeath/doom band.

Edited by Irysa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr_gROZmTtA
Paredolia - Haken

Definitely one of my favorite releases of 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTc75Qbb_Qg
Vicarious Redemption - Cult Of Luna
I love this song, but, the vocals in this just aren't too spectacular to me. Whatever.

Edited by Krystalthryx

• 4 weeks later...

IN FLAMES WE TRUST

Holy shit Grant Kirkhope was in a metal band? That's awesome!

yeah, grant's story is basically that he was in a metal band that wasn't going anywhere. he was lucly enough to have a friend connected to rare company somehow, and grant spent like a year making tunes to present to them. the rest is history. i only know this because of a game grumps episode.

yeah, grant's story is basically that he was in a metal band that wasn't going anywhere. he was lucly enough to have a friend connected to rare company somehow, and grant spent like a year making tunes to present to them. the rest is history. i only know this because of a game grumps episode.

He said that in the Game Grumps episode? Well I never viewed it fully because it was one hour long though.

Have you heard My Neighbor Satan?

re:metal

I post diru and maudlin songs in every other thread, guys, I think I'm good for contributions already.

also system deftones "the sword" "bloody panda" mastodon tool (a perfect circle?)

evans blue/parabelle if they count (yes)

"as heaven is wide" is a pretty metal song by garbage but they are not metal you should still listen to them of course

most of maudlin moved on to kayo dot and they also had a metal sound -for a while-

kokuyasou is metal as fuck but they do toe whore music

Sigh is kind of metal but they are mostly wtf

That's all the metal I can list from my crap but it is definitely not all of my good stuff I had to leave out like white stripes and modest mouse etc. because they are only metal in badassitude not in style of music.

Edited by Amorphous Laugh