recommend me (anime) movies please

i have trouble sleeping at night because my sleeping pills take awhile to kick in. driving and (multiplayer) games after taking these pills go horribly, so i resort to movie watching. i'm also probably a worse cinephile than michael bolton.

i'm keeping a sort of mini movie watchlist, but it's growing drastically short as i delete each movie i watch off the list; not to mention i've exhausted a lot of friends and critic's top (insert # here) list. i dabble in all genres and will most likely be open to any movie you'd want to recommend me, but please include a few lines of review / why it's your favorite and stuff. i love niche movies just as equally as i love popular movies. feel free to multipost or add as many that come to your mind or continue to revisit the thread whenever you think of another you'd like to recommend. movie discussion is cool too, i know you know how to use spoilers, but even if you dont, that's just as cool.

anime movies are a plus for obvious reasons, but not the only flavour i like. for example, i'm watching a clint eastwood western tonight, just because something a friend said earlier today influenced me to think about western themes. last night however, i was all over this miyazaki (romantic comedy?) animation involving a cat who referred to himself as a baron.

i'm an eclectic, so go all out. thanks in advance.

Edited by black op: skyfang

OK, obvious Miyazaki movies here (my favorite is Castle In The Sky), but I also really liked Summer Wars. You should totally watch that.

Do they have to be movie-movies, or do shows with like, episodes and stuff count as well?

Also this seems like exactly the sort of thing tat could pass as a non-FftF topic, and so I'm wondering if you're expecting it to get de-railed or something.

If you saw The Cat Returns (aka baron cat), you should see Whisper of the Heart if you haven't already. The cat statue comes from that movie.

Here's a list of movies:

- Spirited Away

- Castle in the Sky

- Howl's Moving Castle

- Kiki's Flying Delivery Service

- My Neighbor Totoro

- Literature Girl

- Wolf Children

- Ocean Waves

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

- 5 Centimeters per Second

- Ponyo

- Grave of the Fireflies

- Hotarubi no Mori e

- Kara no Kyoukai movies (there are a bunch of them)

- Princess Mononoke

- Summer Wars

- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

- The Secret World of Arrietty

- From Up on Poppy Hill

- Porco Rosso

If you saw The Cat Returns (aka baron cat), you should see Whisper of the Heart if you haven't already. The cat statue comes from that movie.

Here's a list of movies:

- Spirited Away

- Castle in the Sky

- Howl's Moving Castle

- My Neighbor Totoro

- Literature Girl

- Wolf Children

- Ocean Waves

- Ponyo

- Grave of the Fireflies

- Hotarubi no Mori e

- Princess Mononoke

- Summer Wars

- From Up on Poppy Hill

- Porco Rosso

Watch all of these and these as well:

- Tekkonkinkreet

- AKIRA

- Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

- Mind Game

- Metropolis

- The Place Promised in Our Early Days

- Steamboy

Here are a couple of my favorites.

Princess Mononoke: Set in the middle ages, Emishi prince Ashitaka's village is attacked by a demon one day. He is forced to fend it off and kill it, but is in the process is cursed to die. He must journey far to the west where the demon came from to find out why such a hateful creature had been created. This is my personal favorite animated movie. The characters are so expressive, the environments are unbelievable, and the soundtrack is truly amazing.

Kiki's Delivery Service: Kiki is a young witch who according to tradition moves away for a year from her remote home in the woods to a sprawling coastal city miles and miles away. Along the way she sets up a delivery service flying around goods to customers on her broom. Along the way she meets a host of colorful characters. This one's just a great light-hearted romp, lots of color and fun.

Howl's Moving Castle: A young hat-maker Sophie is literally swept from her feet by a handsomely-dressed wizard named Howl. She is first pleasantly astonished by him, but finds herself soon drawn into conflict when the Witch of the Waste that covets him curses her, transforming her into a hunched old woman. The plot is fittingly Ghibli in nature with a diverse cast of characters voiced extremely well. It's all quite beautiful and definitely worth a watch.

Jin-Roh- The Wolf Brigade: Set in a modern Japan wracked with extremist anti-protestors, a young terrorist courier transporting a satchel bomb is intercepted by an elite shock-troop formation of Special Armored Police sent to weed them out of the sewers. The protagonist Kazuki Fuse, ordinarily a most cold and calculating soldier, shows a moment of compassion in not killing the courier immediately. What follows is a story of political intrigue and tragic drama. It's dark, deep, and incredibly impacting. Of all the animated movies I've seen this is probably the most complex with so many twists and turns you could get lost in it every time you watch it.

Redline: In the faraway future, of all galactic entertainment, racing is near the top. JP, a hot-blooded young man, is one of the best. Despite failing qualifications in the Yellow Line, he's invited to participate in the prestigious if incredibly dangerous Redline race, which will decide the true champion in the racing community. Redline is well known for being one of the most incredibly animated films of all time, and it certainly shows. Lines are sharp and colors are deep, with even the simplest of movements turning into dynamic posing and flashy acrobatics. The plot is anything but deep and the characters are one-dimensional, but they are many and still expressive in their very simple ways. This is an amazing film to just veg out to.

Gundam: War in the Pocket has only 4 roughly 20 minute episodes, and features little boy tears.

EDIT-Watch Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

That's not anime, but it's one of the best films made.

It was recently completed.

That's not anime, but it's one of the best films made.

It was recently completed.

Ya I know. Well IIRC there were still some missing parts but they're now pretty marginal...

Or did they add on even more recently? I remember watching the newest version in 2010 or 11 or something at the film forum in NYC.

Ya I know. Well IIRC there were still some missing parts but they're now pretty marginal...

Or did they add on even more recently? I remember watching the newest version in 2010 or 11 or something at the film forum in NYC.

I don't think they found the missing three or so minutes.

I saw the first showing of the completed version since it stopped airing. I hadn't seen it before. I was so taken with it.

this isn't anime but try watching some of the french romance/drama films. they're actually kinda interesting. for starters, try watching some of the films with romain duris in it. i enjoyed heartbreaker and "the beat that my heart skipped"

so i watched unforgiven last night, prompting me to add million dollar baby as well as the sergio leone + clint westerns to my list. morgan would have made the movie even if clint taking his first sip of rum didnt make me go ohhhhhhhhh shitttttt, but something about having them both together is just amazing acting from scene to scene.

Do they have to be movie-movies, or do shows with like, episodes and stuff count as well?

Also this seems like exactly the sort of thing tat could pass as a non-FftF topic, and so I'm wondering if you're expecting it to get de-railed or something.

yes, i'm asking specifically for movie movies =) i already have a huge backlog of recommended tv (breaking bad, the wire, walking dead) and anime shows (eden of the east, codebreakers) that i need to find time to watch through. i reserve late night before sleeping for movies because i like having finality / conclusion. if i watched episodic shows during that time, i wouldnt be able to sleep afterwards, thinking about what happens next.

don't worry about thread health, i put it in fftf so people are free to discuss / recommend / multipost as much as they want. like i said, i'm an eclectic cinephile and welcome everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Blue

perfect blue is a great anime movie.

thanks for the recommendation and linking the wiki. i know from personal experience that it can be time consuming to write reviews, so an imdb / wiki link instead for the title is just as good.

Here's a list of movies:

- Spirited Away

- Castle in the Sky

- Howl's Moving Castle

- My Neighbor Totoro

- Literature Girl

- Wolf Children

- Ocean Waves

- Ponyo

- Grave of the Fireflies

- Hotarubi no Mori e

- Princess Mononoke

- Summer Wars

- From Up on Poppy Hill

- Porco Rosso

ahh yes, i had to google search a bit after i saw the cat returns to find out where he originated from, and i added whisper of the heart to my list then. thanks for the multiple movies ! i'll have to search for some reviews but i'm sure these are all great

Here are a couple of my favorites.

Princess Mononoke: Set in the middle ages, Emishi prince Ashitaka's village is attacked by a demon one day. He is forced to fend it off and kill it, but is in the process is cursed to die. He must journey far to the west where the demon came from to find out why such a hateful creature had been created. This is my personal favorite animated movie. The characters are so expressive, the environments are unbelievable, and the soundtrack is truly amazing.

Kiki's Delivery Service: Kiki is a young witch who according to tradition moves away for a year from her remote home in the woods to a sprawling coastal city miles and miles away. Along the way she sets up a delivery service flying around goods to customers on her broom. Along the way she meets a host of colorful characters. This one's just a great light-hearted romp, lots of color and fun.

Howl's Moving Castle: A young hat-maker Sophie is literally swept from her feet by a handsomely-dressed wizard named Howl. She is first pleasantly astonished by him, but finds herself soon drawn into conflict when the Witch of the Waste that covets him curses her, transforming her into a hunched old woman. The plot is fittingly Ghibli in nature with a diverse cast of characters voiced extremely well. It's all quite beautiful and definitely worth a watch.

Jin-Roh- The Wolf Brigade: Set in a modern Japan wracked with extremist anti-protestors, a young terrorist courier transporting a satchel bomb is intercepted by an elite shock-troop formation of Special Armored Police sent to weed them out of the sewers. The protagonist Kazuki Fuse, ordinarily a most cold and calculating soldier, shows a moment of compassion in not killing the courier immediately. What follows is a story of political intrigue and tragic drama. It's dark, deep, and incredibly impacting. Of all the animated movies I've seen this is probably the most complex with so many twists and turns you could get lost in it every time you watch it.

Redline: In the faraway future, of all galactic entertainment, racing is near the top. JP, a hot-blooded young man, is one of the best. Despite failing qualifications in the Yellow Line, he's invited to participate in the prestigious if incredibly dangerous Redline race, which will decide the true champion in the racing community. Redline is well known for being one of the most incredibly animated films of all time, and it certainly shows. Lines are sharp and colors are deep, with even the simplest of movements turning into dynamic posing and flashy acrobatics. The plot is anything but deep and the characters are one-dimensional, but they are many and still expressive in their very simple ways. This is an amazing film to just veg out to.

this is perfect recommendation post, thanks a bunch, i hope you post more of your favorites. i saw jin roh earlier this week and all i can say is that it was gripping from start to finish. the characterization and script were amazing and i just couldn't stop thinking about what i watched even days later. i also own redline on dvd, it's one of those great movies that has a little bit of everything, so i enjoy rewatching it now and then.

Gundam: War in the Pocket has only 4 roughly 20 minute episodes, and features little boy tears.

EDIT-Watch Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

i had metropolis on my list earlier from ebert's top list. i forgot why i had it so i deleted it without watching it. a lot of time i'm looking for movies that relate to another that i've watched or have the same themes but forgot the original relation in this regard. i agree with and like your movie tastes so i'm going to put it back on the list though =D

this isn't anime but try watching some of the french romance/drama films. they're actually kinda interesting. for starters, try watching some of the films with romain duris in it. i enjoyed heartbreaker and "the beat that my heart skipped"

i've only ever seen french movies during french class, and i have to say i liked how they were different from american movies from the same time period, or maybe our teacher just picked the really really unique ones. i remember watching a love triangle intrigue murder thriller that took place at a boarding school for children of all places. i will definitely add these to my list, thanks

French movies?

Well, The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain is a pretty damn good french movie. It also has an exceptional soundtrack composed by Yann Tiersen.