Pokemon X/Y Ingame Tier List Discussion

Don Draper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pangoro has the potential to be in a really high tier. It has the access to a +6 stab Iron Fist Close Combat, that has the potential to be Life Orb'd or Choice Band. That's scary, will most likely be able to OHKO a lot of defensive resistances. Mega Mewtwo will also have a high tier as well, Focus Blast for 1 and Close Combat for X.

Pokemon: Hawlucha

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 attack 252 speed

Ability: Unburden

Item: Fighting gem

Move 1: Power-up punch

Move 2: Acrobatics

Move 3: Hi-jump kick

Move 4: Filler

Hello threat

Pokemon: Hawlucha

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 attack 252 speed

Ability: Unburden

Item: Fighting gem

Move 1: Power-up punch

Move 2: Acrobatics

Move 3: Hi-jump kick

Move 4: Filler

Hello threat

EVs?

pls

Mega Lucario top tier

Xerneas/Yveltal can help clean up lategame, but they're kind of like the laguz royals, OP for the short time they exist

Edited by shadykid

There's an app for that.

Brick Break is more than sufficient for in-game purposes, and it doesn't carry that stupid self-inflicted pain thing if you miss.

Xerneas/Yveltal can help clean up lategame, but they're kind of like the laguz royals, OP for the short time they exist

Or filler, if you only have five pokemon at that point for whatever reason.

Tyrunt is a vicious Mighty Glacier thats hits hard and tanks hits from the physical side. Its really held back by it's fighting and fairy weakness though. High tier

Honedge is too slow to reliably set up earlygame, but becomes a great boss killer once you get the Eviolite. Lower High tier

Pangoro is slow and somewhat outclassed by Lucario who it shares it's dreaded fighting weakness with. Very helpfull against Grant though. Upper Mid tier

Abomasnow has a Mega Evolution and sweet 120 dual stabs, but a very inconvenient typing and Hail is more trouble than it's worth. Lower Mid tier.

Jolteon has great stats and is very easy to get compared to some other Eeveelutions. Electric is amazing thanks to Thunder Wave and numerous Water and Flying types to fry. High tier.

Talonflame is a good flybot with nice Fire Stab to back it up. A little on the weak side thought. Upper Mid.

Coming off the pokemon I used:

God Tier:

Xerneas and Yveltal: they're 680 legendaries that come at about your level when you catch it.

Very High Tier:

Lucario: Great and accessable Mega Evolution, good moves.

High Tier:

Meinshao/Meinfoo: Good even before evolving, and upon evolution gets monsterous attack, speed, and Hi Jump Kick.

Jolteon: One of the best electric types, and is great for pokemon weak to it.

Delphox/Fennekin: Good Fire Starter, but suffers a bit from typing and being physically weak.

Charizard X/Charmander: Mega Evolution is cool, Fire/Dragon typing is even cooler. Great Physical Fire type.

Medium-High Tier:

Absol: Great Attack Stat, a bunch of physical critical-prone moves, and an ability to go with it. However, it's a glass cannon, and cannot take hits at all.

Flygon/Trapinch: A massive pain to train, but very good and well rounded when fully evolved.

Aurorus/Amaura: Cool ability and pretty good typing make Aurorus a pretty bulky and powerful Pokemon. Hyper Beam hits like a nuke.

Medium Tier:

Noivern/Noibat: Pretty fun to use, but hard to get and you need heart scales for the good moves.

Goodra/Goomy: Great when evolved, but that comes at level 55 and you'll have to deal with sub-par stats until then. Only getting Dragon STAB hurts too.

Lapras: Good HM Slave, and bulky, but the good things stop there ouside of type coverage.

Medium Low Tier:

None that I could find.

Low Tier: Furfrou: It's a cool idea, but a speedy and bulky Pokemon just isn't good in game. In game attackers are more important, but Furfrou is an option if you want the Novelty.

Blaziken should be in top without question. Unless it's not counted for purposes of being an event.

Delphox should be in top as well. Out of all the starters, it's the one with the best gym performance (hits: Viola, Korrina, Ramos and Wulfric for effective damage. In addition, it resists: Olympia and Valerie, for a total of 6/8 gyms where it is a benefit to have.) Grant is the only gym where it is a liability.

Aegislash is high tier in my opinion. Resists Grant, walls Korrina until the end of time, walls Ramos (aside from Gogoat's Bulldoze), walls Valerie, hits Olympia for x2, and hits Wulfric for x2 in addition to resisting the stab.

Golett is around for the Grant fight, where it resists the Rock moves while it can use the Bulldoze TM fron Lumiose PokeMart to beat them. Amaura can kind of be a pain though. It walls Korrina and Clemont, while hitting Clemont and Olympia for effective damage. The shaky performance with Ramos and Wulric could result in it being Upper Mid, but somewhere between High and Upper Mid would be where I'd place it.

Nidorina and Nidorino join for the Korrina fight, where they resist Korina's Fighting type moves while using the Aerial Ace TM for offense. The Ramos fight is much the same. You can use a Moon Stone (the only other competitor at the time is Skitty) to evolve into Nidoqueen/Nidoking, and give them the Bulldoze and Rock Tomb TMs to effortlessly beat Clemont, and you've got the Poison Jab TM for Valerie. They're around for six gyms, and can easily beat four of them. There's Pokemon that join earlygame that wished for advantageous typings against four gyms (Dunsparce, Simisage, Farfetch'd). Easy high tier.

Aegislash: I want to say Top, but I'd like to hear more input on how he performs early-midgame. There's no doubt in my mind that he becomes ridiculous after evolution (between the 6th and 7th gym is when you get the Dusk Stone I believe) but it's before then that I'm really interested in.

Caught mine early, so you get my thoughts:

The type resistance change to Steel means that it can't quite wall as many things, but it still does a good job of screwing over anything that it's not weak to. Shadow Sneak helps a lot against things that THINK it'll outspeed it, and Ghost on top of Aerial Ace means that fighters can't do much about it (that's Korrina, and extends to Ramos). It works as an off-tank by not evolving it to Aegislash and giving it Eviolite (still haven't evolved mine, and have kicked the everliving daylights out of E4). Mine reminds me of a Ferrothorn who traded some Special Defense for Speed, and has a STAB priority attack.

Oh, and Steel STAB means that if it learns Iron Head, it smashes Valerie.

Lucario for Top. Free Mega Evolution is just an icing on the cake. Maximum Speed IV and nice movepool is all it needs, not to mention being free.

Fennekin for Top. Fire type that gets Psybeam at lv 17-18? Yes plz

Goomy for Low. Pretty late and gimmicky evo, and mediocre movepool

Other than that, I can see Garchomp for Top because Gible's early game movepool is a thing of beauty

Another good thing Honedge has is the possibility for the Shadow Claw TM before the second gym.

70 BP STAB with nice PP, great accuracy and bonus critical is pretty damn good at this point of the game, especially with Swords Dance at base and Steel type for easy set ups.

Edited by Woodshooter

Lucario is the closest thing to a game-breaker after event mons like Torchic and BW2 Therians, and arguably BW2 Magnemite, and Drilbur. Think Red Gyarados from GSC, but with even more ridiculousness due to likely being the first thing you have that can Mega Evolve, excluding Blaziken. (your next is going to be the Kanto starter, and likely Ampharos if you bother to detour, Aerodactyl if you actually found the friggin amber or Gengar if you traded). Power-up Punch and SD makes sweeping a joke, along with Mega Evo.Definite Top.

I've used Axew (am I the only one around here who used it?), and as far as I can tell, Axew blows royal shit earlygame. Lv15 happens to be the point where Dragon Rage begins to stop one-shotting everything, so it's not very useful, and it's stuck with inaccurate Dual Chops and really shaky bulk. Instant access to SD fixes its problems, but it's still quite notable (I think I used Hone Claws instead, but the difference isn't noticeable because Axew is still dying in 2 shots while getting outrun by... almost everything). Interestingly, it becomes more viable the moment you get to replace SD with DD, because the Speed boost really solves issues and you don't really notice the loss of an Attack stage. Evolution to Fraxure turns Axew into demi-god, overpowered sweeper as Haxorus. Still, IDK if it's really worth dragging around for 18 levels; I was contemplating actually swapping it for Lapras until I decided for one last go at it. DD Axew sure didn't disappoint. Mid, maybe High if you count his ridiculous endgame (he's pretty much turning everything that isn't Valerie or Wulfric into free wins...)

Chespin is an interesting choice. Hone Claws + Rollout is a very interesting option earlygame, but on paper it's just... ok. If you can pull it off, it's great, but Chespin once again suffers from Axew's problems; too slow, and too god-damned frail. Well, at least Chespin has better bulk than Axew, but it's still noticeably annoying. I did end up keeping Rollout until the fifties though before finally replacing it with Hammer Arm. Never really used it past the third gym, though OHKO on Vivillon was amusing, to say the least. I didn't check if Chespin/Quilladin gets SD, but if it does I guess it'd be a lot better. Mid, for now.

Snorlax has really big problems. It looks amazing on paper: lots (and lots!) of HP to tank stuff, amazing special defense, amazing Attack, instant access to Return, and amazing HM utility in Surf and Strength. Unfortunately, this is where the good news ends. Snorlax just fucking blows. I don't know why. I've tried using him, I really did. Unfortunately, not coming with Body Slam is apparently what separates RBYFRLG Snorlax from XY Snorlax. Tackle is just meh, Lick is stupid, and Rock Smash isn't anything better since it's apparently nerfed (or at least, the Defense drop rate is definitely not 50%). Sure, this guy has potential, but his earlygame isn't amazing. He's definitely not making any waves with Grant or Korrina, and that's probably way too long for the big guy. At least he finally stood up. Mid.

Charmander is generic as all hell and doesn't really get much other than being "generic fire-type that comes early". Not having Viola's gym to eat sucks, but it's still decent. Charizard is reliable though, and that's a good thing. Dragon Rage also definitely makes Charmeleon a lot better to train. High.

Lapras seems like it has potential, though I think it'll eventually end up relegated to slave duty. Ice Beam at 32 sounds sweet though. Still, Surf/Ice Beam/Strength/Rock Smash pretty much handles most of your field move problems (Cut can be foddered to some random crap, Fly for Talonflame)

Fletchling is an interesting choice, though admittedly, Talonflame is no Staraptor and the middle evo is just shit (lol ember no-stab return and... peck? yeah). If granted access to Heart Scales though (I think these are PGL-only, unless you go Luvdisc hunting...), it can grab Flare Blitz and Brave Bird, which makes it a lot more usable (for reference, Charizard is not getting Flare Blitz until the 70s and he never gets Brave Bird. Talonflame gets this in the forties). Acrobatics is also nice. Until then... have fun working with Flame Charge and Aerial Ace. at least he's redeemed by SD access.

As a last bit:

Torchic gets boosted EXP, Speed Boost, and as Combusken, can immediately learn Swords Dance for sweeping goodness. Screw Lucario, this guy single-handedly wrecks the game. Since the first badge has an upper limit of Lv30, you can get away with abusing Combusken for quite a nice while. Dear god. I'd say this is as overpowered as L5 Therians from PDR in BW2.

Edited by Sakocchi

Gamefreak did a real lousy job at nerfing fighting types given the state of top tier pokemon ingame.

they're worse off than last gen in actual battling with fairy types

also are there really only 8 required battles from the first gym to the second gym, that seems....off

Speed Boost taking up unnecessary animation time/text boxes 0/10.

Everything seems pretty usable to me. All the new pokes seem like they get some competent STAB. Not too attached to any of them though. Exp share seems like it breaks casual runs.

Kalos Starters are okay, didn't seem too special to me. I picked Froakie but pretty much dropped Greninja for Lapras/Yveltal

Charmander pretty amazing, but massive nostalgia bias ofc.

Snorlax pretty boring.

lolucario. Let's not pretend gamefreak cares about in-game balance.

Lapras with that BoltBeamSurf coverage + Perish Song.

Yveltal with that opNosferatu.

Perhaps more serious thoughts another time. My run was pretty much Charizard and friends and it was surprisingly really fun. just like 15 years ago.