The Mary Sue of All FE Characters

ButteredToast

Title says it all.

According to tvtropes.org, the term "Mary Sue" is "generally slapped on a character who is important in the story, possesses unusual physical traits, and has an irrelevantly over-skilled or over-idealized nature."

Besides Robin from Awakening. who do you think is the poster boy (or girl) of the Mary Sue curse in the FE series?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awakening's Avatar totally dethrones any pre-existing Sue in the series. Whether there was one before that point is still somewhat hotly debated. Avatar takes the throne however. Holy shit. Its driven home rather egregiously in Chapter 14.

Besides Avatar? Hmmm...Micaiah really toes the line at some points. Part 4 is particularly egregious but its mostly due to Yune. And really bad writing.

Ephraim. Ike also pushes the line quite a bit.

I also agree with this. Ike is not that much of a Sue in his first game, but gets kinda Sue-ish in RD. Ephraim cant seem to do anything wrong either.

Edited by Ser Florina

Oh God, not again.

Seriously, why would you bring this topic back?

No one. Yeah, that's right. No one. No one in the series is a Sue, at least not enough to be considered a "poster boy/girl" of Mary Sueness.

Chew on that.

Awakening's Avatar totally dethrones any pre-existing Sue in the series. Whether there was one before that point is still somewhat hotly debated. Avatar takes the throne however. Holy shit. Its driven home rather egregiously in Chapter 14.

*aside from Avatar/Robin

Pretty sure it's Sue. Especially if Roy marries her. Eh, eh?

okay fuck you are now officially my favourite user on SF

okay fuck you are now officially my favourite user on SF

Cool, I need more recognition for I am not only a pivotal character to the story, but I also possess unusual physical traits (like um...being of average weight), and I would just love if everyone got along and made happy!

I guess if Robin isn't considered, then I would say Chris is the next best thing.

People like Elice will share her most intimate thoughts with him on their first meeting, Marth will make him a royal guard despite him being a green recruit and everybody just loves the guy in general.

The fact that he is often forced in the spotlight in a plot that was written without him in mind makes the game feel even more like fanfiction.

Unlike his Awakening successor, the story doesn't resolve around him, though. But that can make scenes like him overshadowing Jagen when he is about to call out Lang even more irritating.

Edited by BrightBow

I guess if Robin isn't considered, then I would say Chris is the next best thing.

People like Elice will share her most intimate thoughts with him on their first meeting, Marth will make him a royal guard despite him being a green recruit and everybody just loves the guy in general.

The fact that he is often forced in the spotlight in a plot that was written without him in mind makes the game feel even more like fanfiction.

Unlike his Awakening successor, the story doesn't resolve around him, though. But that can make scenes like him overshadowing Jagen when he is about to call out Lang even more irritating.

Kris pretty much was the #1 representative of Canon Stu in Fire Emblem before Robin shows up. There's Kris, randomly plopped into a pre-existing story, and he's all speshul and people love and trust and open up to him and basically Marth just couldn't do it all without Kris... his soulmate... bleh.

But then Robin showed up. Good grief.

Cool, I need more recognition for I am not only a pivotal character to the story, but I also possess unusual physical traits (like um...being of average weight), and I would just love if everyone got along and made happy!

Refa 4 President

Of course it has to be the MU from Awakening, because he's supposed to be one. A Mary Sue is first and foremost a self-insert.

BTW TVTropes is wrong. Otherwise things like Superman would be considered Mary Sues, and they aren't. I maintain a Mary Sue is a self-insert who gets all he/she wants in the story. Which is why Robin is one. He's the strongest unit in the game (potentially), can marry whoever you want him to and can be whichever class you want him to.

That's not to say it isn't fun to play with Robin, but the customization options in Awakening suck IMO.

Edited by Malebolganone

Of course it has to be the MU from Awakening, because he's supposed to be one. A Mary Sue is first and foremost a self-insert.

BTW TVTropes is wrong. Otherwise things like Superman would be considered Mary Sues, and they aren't. I maintain a Mary Sue is a self-insert who gets all he/she wants in the story. Which is why Robin is one. He's the strongest unit in the game (potentially), can marry whoever you want him to and can be whichever class you want him to.

That's not to say it isn't fun to play with Robin, but the customization options in Awakening suck IMO.

tvtropes is wrong because mary sue doesnt exist

tvtropes is wrong because mary sue doesnt exist

Actually it exists but is a fanfic term that was wrongly transposed to the literary world to mock female characters who were above average in terms of whatever ability they may have had. It originated in fanfics and should stay in fanfics, because its only purpose is found in fanfics. A Mary Sue is when we self-insert into the fanfic we're writing with the purpose of personal gratification. I should know as I used to do it all the time before trying to create my original stories.

In actual original works, however, it might be impossible to pinpoint a Sue because, whether you want it or not, an author favors certain characters in a story, especially the heroes. A character who can solve every problem he comes across isn't a Mary Sue, but poor writing.

Actually it exists but is a fanfic term that was wrongly transposed to the literary world to mock female characters who were above average in terms of whatever ability they may have had. It originated in fanfics and should stay in fanfics, because its only purpose is found in fanfics. A Mary Sue is when we self-insert into the fanfic we're writing with the purpose of personal gratification. I should know as I used to do it all the time before trying to create my original stories.

In actual original works, however, it might be impossible to pinpoint a Sue because, whether you want it or not, an author favors certain characters in a story, especially the heroes. A character who can solve every problem he comes across isn't a Mary Sue, but poor writing.

The author of an original work can self-insert just as easily as the author of a fanfic. See: Twilight. It's more common in fanfiction, but can definitely exist in original works.

The author of an original work can self-insert just as easily as the author of a fanfic. See: Twilight. It's more common in fanfiction, but can definitely exist in original works.

Now that would merit a thread in the Entertainment section alone. Bella is certainly a self-insert (Meyer even admits it, not openly, but she does), but is she a Mary Sue? I haven't an opinion on that matter, but there are things that validate your argument, at least on the movies.

I can't speak about the books, though, since I didn't go very far on them. Edward creeped me out.