Still watching Disney Movies, is it okay ?

Light-Heart

Most kids stop watching Disney movies by the age of about 10- 11, maybe 12 if late. However I've never stopped watching them, not really. I did stop when about 11- 14, but then I picked up the Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2 and started re- collecting the Disney movies on DVD and started loving them again.

I'm 19 years old now and I feel like some strange old freak whenever watching Beauty and the Beast or Lady and the Tramp on DVD, it's not really normal for somebody who is basically a Young- Adult to this sort of thing.

I don't collect the toys or the dolls, just collect the Disney movies and enjoy them and usually listen to the songs on YouTube when on the computer.

Should I stop ?

Or just ignore Society's norms and just keep on enjoying what I really enjoy ?

This. Trust me on this one. It's not like watching Disney movies is a horrible thing to do or makes you a worse person in any way.

If grown men can get away with watching My Little Pony you can definitely get away with watching some animated classics.

do you enjoy it? if yes, the answer is obvious: don't stop. ever. enjoy whatever fictional works you want. just because something's targeted at a certain age bracket certainly doesn't mean it's completely unsuited for anyone outside it, or that it's been dumbed down to satisfy a bare minimum set of criteria to keep the kiddies quiet while being unenjoyable by adults. the bulk of the Disney film canon is legitimately excellent and, as you yourself attest, well and truly enjoyable by almost anyone (and as far as these things go they don't really have quite as much of a "kiddie fare" social stigma attached to them as others)

You're playing video games, mate.
On top of that, you've got Phoenix Wright in your avatar, well, not him specifically, but still, that's not exactly a very mainstream game.

So, on this point alone, you've got yourself put into a niche in society, which you're ok with. Yet, DIsney Movies are off limits?

Fuck people.

If what you enjoy brings no harm to others than what does it matter if you enjoy it or not?

Unless you act similar to the likes of Frollo and Gaston and your reason is because you watch it in the movies, there's nothing wrong with watching Disney movies.

There's easily worse things out there that people watch and is "socially acceptable" that (in lots of viewers' minds) encourage/validate poor behavior such as Guy Code and Jersey Shore.

If it's not doing any harm, don't worry about it.

you're 19 and still playing video games and watching disney movies.

this is a conscious lifestyle choice you make yourself, and if you want to re-evaluate your life and the hobbies you have, that's something you'll have to do on your own time, leaving society out of it.

if you decide it's okay for yourself, then it's okay for yourself.

If grown men can get away with watching My Little Pony you can definitely get away with watching some animated classics.

This. Seriously. Grown men DO watch My Little Pony, and so many of them do that it's kinda the norm now. XD

I still watch Disney movies too, and hell, I still watch other cartoons! I never quit watching Scooby Doo especially, and I still have my Scooby plushie collection. I don't care what others think of that, I do what I enjoy! And doing something that's a little childish doesn't mean you yourself are childish. It just means you have a bit of a childish interest is all.

Also, when I went to Disney World Magic Kingdom back in January, I bought a Mickey Mouse hat that had the ears on it. It's really meant for kids, but I didn't care! It was adorable! Plus, the adult size hats would never fit me anyway, I'm too small. lol Same with the t-shirt I bought. Meant for kids, but I wouldn't fit many of the adult ones. :P

And you know what? I'm 22 years old. :)

Edited by Anacybele

I'm a 26-year-old who is about to turn 27 in less than three months, and I still watch Disney movies every now and then. Anyone who is offended or harmed by stuff like that is likely just weak to begin with. In fact:

[spoiler=I still have these discs on me]imNN7I7RDhlM1.JPG

I haven't bought any more movies recently, digital or physical, due to laziness though.

Edited by BLS

I'm 20 years old (though anyone off the street would swear that I looked 14 at most), and I'm still rocking the Disney movies and occasionally the Pokemon movies, especially the older ones. I dare anyone tell me to give it up, especially when things like My Little Pony are going around with all these grown "bronies" following it. Like you, I enjoyed the Kingdom Hearts series a lot, and it gave me a new appreciation for the movies I grew up watching. And the Pokemon movies are a deeply cemented part of my childhood as well, and a good part of the reason I still enjoy and play the series today. Don't let anyone ever tell you that what you enjoy is wrong (unless you're actually hurting people) if you're not the target age anymore, because you once were, and its not fair to expect everyone to stop loving it when others might grow out of it. In fact, I find them very interesting to continue to watch when you are older; you pick up on a lot of things that may have flew right over your head as a child.

So yeah, kudos to us who don't relinquish our childhoods like society "tells" us too. If anyone ever does, ignore them.

There's no reason that you should stop, I mean the only reason I stopped watching Disney movies is that at the time, I've literally watched them so many times that I had memorized them and was getting sick of it. But as of late, I've been having the itch to watch the Fox and the Hound on Netflix(An old favorite of mine). I mean, if you really want to get into it, there's literally nothing wrong with watching these kinds of movies, if I recall correctly, Wreck-it-Ralph is a Disney movie, and I'll admit, it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's only recently that I've gotten able to tolerate, much less appreciate any kind of musical, much less again one I was well-aware was aimed at children. When I was pint-sized (as in through most of primary school), I would really close up my ears to the best of my ability, shut my eyes and mutter to myself until the singing was over and it'd get back to the plot. I assume it was out of some concern that they were phony and melodramatic, and I'm too real for this shit and eugh

Then, not more than a year ago, I actually listened to a part of Colors of the Wind, as part of a Sunday Morning (CBS? Charles Osgood being the usual anchor, anyway) somethingorother on the guy who was for the most of his life, by most accounts, an academic mediocrity, then somehow ended up writing that and a ton of other 90's-ish disney classic songs. It was a good damn song! Then, off hearing some critical love for it, I somehow looked up Hellfire. Surprise, little me! You kinda hit the nail on the head, as far as "trying so hard to fit somebody else's idea of mature that you literally acted like a child."

It helps that I like to consider myself a fan of all kinds of animation, so now that's really just one less meaningless source of anxiety about it.

Edited by Rehab

I'm almost 21, and I still like Disney and My Little Pony. Also, has anyone here ever watched Veggietales? I don't watch it as much as I used to and haven't bought any of the latest videos, but I still find myself humming songs from the show:

[spoiler=Epic silliness]

So, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying Disney at any age.

Edited by Silver Pegasus

It's fine dude. Especially olders movies, they all have something over the stuff that is made today. And they certainly aren't as childish as the new cartoons/movies.

You don't have to grow up too. Some people marry and start working like mad just to fit in more. You can do what you like for the rest of your life and if some people don't like it then it's their problems. You don't have to live your life for other people.

Most kids stop watching Disney movies by the age of about 10- 11, maybe 12 if late. However I've never stopped watching them, not really. I did stop when about 11- 14, but then I picked up the Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2 and started re- collecting the Disney movies on DVD and started loving them again.

I'm 19 years old now and I feel like some strange old freak whenever watching Beauty and the Beast or Lady and the Tramp on DVD, it's not really normal for somebody who is basically a Young- Adult to this sort of thing.

Are you joking? There's nothing wrong with enjoying animated movies. I'm 19 too, and I have no problems telling people I've got Disney songs on my iPod and that The Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time. Disney movies are good movies.

People understand how amazing Disney movies are. People you'd want to associate yourself with won't judge you for that.

That said, I haven't been to a movie theater for a Disney film since Cars. I prefer to watch Disney stuff at home.

It's fine dude. Especially olders movies, they all have something over the stuff that is made today. And they certainly aren't as childish as the new cartoons/movies.

"Childish" as new ones? Clearly you've never seen any new cartoons.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I don't collect the toys or the dolls, just collect the Disney movies and enjoy them and usually listen to the songs on YouTube when on the computer.

Should I stop ?

Is it even a societal norm at all? I mean, maybe if you were in middle school some people might laugh at you, but since high school (and I'm 23 now) no one I know has ever cared if I watch Disney movies because most of them like Disney, too. And now that I'm older I care even less about what kind of "kid's" entertainment I watch. The way I see it, it's just those age ~11-16 years where people are often kind of both too old and too young to enjoy that stuff. But if you liked it through that time, then there's nothing wrong with that, either. Just consider this quote from C.S. Lewis:

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

In short, no, don't stop.

I remember when I was a junior in high school on the way back from a marching band competition singing Lion King songs on the bus with a friend. Good times.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I'm 20 years old (though anyone off the street would swear that I looked 14 at most)

Oh gods, I get the same thing from people! Except they say I look 15-16. :P