so my edward keeps dying on me....

Liz

Honestly, Eddie has serious trouble at the start of Hard Mode, but if you manage to keep him alive he turns out amazing. He's actually the best Swordie in the game, followed by Mia, then the rest of the gang. Only problem is that Mia's more likely to hit --/20/20, whereas Eddie's more likely tto only be in the range of 20/20/15 at 4-F. But all the same, he's a fucking phenomenal unit if you can keep him in existence in Hard Mode. In Normal mode and Easy, he shouldn't have any problems unless the RNG likes to fuck you over.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Eddie has serious trouble at the start of Hard Mode, but if you manage to keep him alive he turns out amazing. He's actually the best Swordie in the game, followed by Mia, then the rest of the gang. Only problem is that Mia's more likely to hit --/20/20, whereas Eddie's more likely tto only be in the range of 20/20/15 at 4-F. But all the same, he's a fucking phenomenal unit if you can keep him in existence in Hard Mode. In Normal mode and Easy, he shouldn't have any problems unless the RNG likes to fuck you over.

I totally agree but Mia still has more personality.

Even if you didn't agree, I wouldn't care because that post was entirely based off of facts, nothing opinionated. Because if there was even the slightest bit of an opinionated piece of my post, it'd be in Mia's favor.

But yeah, I like Mia better than Eddie, but it stands that Eddie's just a bit better. Unless you give Mia one of the SS ranks and don't give Eddie the other, then she beats him out in everything but HP, or matches him.

To be out of doubts here are their stat caps

Trueblade (M)Hp-55 Str-32 Mag-20 Skl-40 Spd 40 Lck-30 Def- 26 Res-24

Trueblade (F) Hp-50 Str-31 Mag-20 Skl-40 Spd-40 Lck-35 Def-25 Res-26

Edited by Slayer

To be out of doubts here are their stat caps

Trueblade (M)Hp-55 Str-32 Mag-20 Skl-40 Spd 40 Lck-30 Def- 26 Res-24

Trueblade (F) Hp-50 Str-31 Mag-20 Skl-40 Spd-40 Lck-35 Def-25 Res-26

The only significance is the 5+ HP. Otherwise they're interchangable.

i guess then it depends on which character you like better and which skill you prefer....

Uh, please give good advice for Hard Mode playthroughs, judging that's what her problem is. Meg stands nary a chance in that mode.

I disagree. Here's my reasons why.

Fact is on hard mode, your guys will have gained less levels in the first few maps than on other playthroughs. Assuming your average guy is at level 10, Meg will JOIN with the same strength, better luck, and average skill among the rest of the party. Her speed's gonna be a little slow, no denying, but that's one of her best gains so I wouldn't sweat it out too much.

Give her the Seraph robe you find in that first stage and she'll pretty much immediately become your best unit. She'll level faster than the others and has good enough gains in the defensive stats (amazing luck, awesome speed, and her defense is kind of shoddy but it's as good/better than Edward or Nolan because she joins at a lower level so she has more time to gain it) to keep her alive.

IMO, the best Dawn Brigade units for Hard Mode are Meg and Aran. Aran's near invincible around level 16 or 17 and I've already listed why I think Meg is very helpful.

I disagree. Here's my reasons why.

Fact is on hard mode, your guys will have gained less levels in the first few maps than on other playthroughs. Assuming your average guy is at level 10, Meg will JOIN with the same strength, better luck, and average skill among the rest of the party. Her speed's gonna be a little slow, no denying, but that's one of her best gains so I wouldn't sweat it out too much.

Give her the Seraph robe you find in that first stage and she'll pretty much immediately become your best unit. She'll level faster than the others and has good enough gains in the defensive stats (amazing luck, awesome speed, and her defense is kind of shoddy but it's as good/better than Edward or Nolan because she joins at a lower level so she has more time to gain it) to keep her alive.

IMO, the best Dawn Brigade units for Hard Mode are Meg and Aran. Aran's near invincible around level 16 or 17 and I've already listed why I think Meg is very helpful.

Putting stat-up items into account when determining whether a unit is good or not is not a good idea. Any character can become amazing with stat-up items. +7 HP can help anyone. Really, level 10, the folks will have some nice stat leads. Nolan and Aran will be able to actually handle the Cats and Tigers. Meg, like I said, she won't stand a chance. If you're going to say "keep her safe", babying does not make a unit actually good. Any character can become amazing with babying, except some units don't even need it. Level faster, that's assuming she lives long enough to kill something. Unless you feed her kills, she's going to be beat up. Awesome speed? Her high speed growth doesn't help much when her caps are very low. Really, saying Meg is one of the best units on the team is not so good. If you try to put Bonus Experience, babying, or stat-ups to account, the same can be said to any other character.

Doesn't Edward have a slightly higher Defense cap too?

Yes, but the Def boost from the SS ranks take care of that quite well.

This

This

This

Case closed.

Putting stat-up items into account when determining whether a unit is good or not is not a good idea. Any character can become amazing with stat-up items. +7 HP can help anyone. Really, level 10, the folks will have some nice stat leads. Nolan and Aran will be able to actually handle the Cats and Tigers. Meg, like I said, she won't stand a chance. If you're going to say "keep her safe", babying does not make a unit actually good. Any character can become amazing with babying, except some units don't even need it. Level faster, that's assuming she lives long enough to kill something. Unless you feed her kills, she's going to be beat up. Awesome speed? Her high speed growth doesn't help much when her caps are very low. Really, saying Meg is one of the best units on the team is not so good. If you try to put Bonus Experience, babying, or stat-ups to account, the same can be said to any other character.

It's hard mode. If you don't take stat ups into account, why are you playing on Hard Mode? Give me a good reason NOT to use all the resources in my power to make beating the game that much easier. I'm not talking about END GAME STATZ here at all, but how to make the most use of a character commonly considered a "bad character." My hard mode playthrough, she's my best unit next to Sothe and Aran, and still has a significant level advantage (as in more levels to gain in order to gain even more stats) than my other dudes.

Let's do the number game. The stats shown are Meg's starting stats vs. the average stats of Edward/Nolan/Aran (in that order) at level 10, rounded.

HP : 21/24/30/26

STR: 10/11/12/12

MGC: 1/0/0/0

SKL: 7/15/12/14

SPD: 8/16/11/11

LCK: 8/11/8/7

DEF: 10/7/9/13

RES: 5/1/3/3

She's at LEVEL 3, mind you. The other guys have SEVEN levels up on her, and have barely anything to show for it.

Ed's a wee bit stronger, and yeah he's faster and all but his defense means he can't take two hits from any of the laguz in that map. He's maybe a point or two stronger than her, maybe.

Nolan is stonger, sure, but he's still gonna get double attacked despite having slightly better speed because he's not strong enough to really wield that steel axe he starts with. The HP HP buffer is nice, though.

Aran, I should say, is the clear winner of the 3 but level 10 by this point is a stretch because you get him at level 7 for a single map before.

MY POINT in all this, whether you choose to accept it or not, is that Meg isn't as terrible as you make her out to be. Taking speed cap into consideration before anyone is gonna hit the level cap is pretty silly. Meg starts out slow, sure, but she picks it up quick. I *think* there's only one tiger other than the two bosses in her starting map that can double-attack her, and that's only if she's got low biorhythm while his is high. If you love Edward, and it's understandable because he's a good character, but hate Meg for having to be babied, that's a bit hypocritical.

Biorythm doesn't affect attack speed.

You really can't take stat-boosters into account when debating units. You can use it to make a character good, or make a good character better. They can be used on anyone, so saying that someone is good because you can do this and that with a stat-booster is a bad argument.

Meg isn't crap; I'm not arguing your above post. Although I don't think she's as good as you're saying she is, she's most definitely better than most people make her out to be.

Edited by Fox

Hey, people say personal experience doesn't count for much when debating characters, either, but that's pretty silly too.

I say let usable items come into consideration. Keep them and use them as failsafes against unsavory RNG rolls if you want, but I use them pretty much immediately on the people who it gives the most significant advantage to to make the game easier.

But that's just me and we established a couple months ago my ideas don't seem to be too favorable among other Fire Emblem fans for whatever reason. Meh! I don't care if people really listen to my ideas anymore after I lay it out.

Hey, people say personal experience doesn't count for much when debating characters, either, but that's pretty silly too.

I say let usable items come into consideration. Keep them and use them as failsafes against unsavory RNG rolls if you want, but I use them pretty much immediately on the people who it gives the most significant advantage to to make the game easier.

But that's just me and we established a couple months ago my ideas don't seem to be too favorable among other Fire Emblem fans for whatever reason. Meh! I don't care if people really listen to my ideas anymore after I lay it out.

For the most part, I actually do agree with you, I just don't often use them right away. You just can't use them to call a character good because, as much as using that Seraph Robe on Meg will make her better, you can give it to Micaiah and make her better instead. You see what I mean?

Regarding that first line: We may yet become friends.

Personally I like Mia, Zihark, and Stefan a lot better than Edward. And I've never tried Lucia but if she's good as Mia and her availability is the only thing that's sucky I might like her better than Edward.

Once I learned that Meg could be useful if you trained her the right way, for me Edward became obsolete. Even if he is a swordmaster which is my favoirte class. I just can't stand him. I dunno why, don't ask, I just can't.

I've never taken him all the way, but on my next runthrough I'm doing a theme of people I hate, and he'll be right up there on the final levels with Alondite or Vague Katti. Then I'm doing a swordmaster runthrough. (I've done the math, I'm taking the 5 swordmasters, Volke, Heather (Since they're pretty close to swordmasters) Elincia, Mist and an arbitrary Laguz king of my choice. Probably Naesala for the leanne support.)

Personally I like Mia, Zihark, and Stefan a lot better than Edward. And I've never tried Lucia but if she's good as Mia and her availability is the only thing that's sucky I might like her better than Edward.

Once I learned that Meg could be useful if you trained her the right way, for me Edward became obsolete. Even if he is a swordmaster which is my favoirte class. I just can't stand him. I dunno why, don't ask, I just can't.

I've never taken him all the way, but on my next runthrough I'm doing a theme of people I hate, and he'll be right up there on the final levels with Alondite or Vague Katti. Then I'm doing a swordmaster runthrough. (I've done the math, I'm taking the 5 swordmasters, Volke, Heather (Since they're pretty close to swordmasters) Elincia, Mist and an arbitrary Laguz king of my choice. Probably Naesala for the leanne support.)

Why? Where did you here that Meg would be useful? All I hear is "MEG SUCKS" 99 times then I hear a few people saying "MEG IS DECENT!!" Wow that actually allows you to use a unit at all times except the part before you recruit Heather in 2-1.