The best designed character in Awakening is Lucina.

amadeuscho

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While how she obtained the mask is stupid, I think it makes sense in order to hide her brand...

The whole concept of the mask was stupid [And reminder that she went relatively undetected for quite a bit without it. It wasn't until she told Chrom to look her in the eye did anyone even remotely pick up on the fact that she has the brand.].

Lucina is Ylissean royalty. Take a look at Lissa's peacetime garb. I don't see what the problem is with Lucina's, considering that it's actually somewhat functional. She has to wear something, and she's not some random d-bag footsoldier.

The fun thing is that Lissa's outfit aren't even peacetime clothes, considering that she, Chrom and Frederick were sent to the countryside with the specific purpose of fighting those bandits.

But whatever, I don't get why you brought her up. It's Lucina we are taking about here. Lissa didn't even make it into the finale.

Anyway, it's absurd that she is wearing expensive clothes with rare materials that take a long time to produce that she had to have made after the giant city swallowing dragon showed up.

People would be way to busy to run and scream rather then tender to the vanity of a teenage girl. Money only gets you that far in the wake of the Apocalypse.

It would have to be something she would have possessed before that. But that would go against her statement of becoming Marth because she needed the courage against said Dragon.

Otacon is an anime convention.

Ah, thanks a lot.

That means that your expectations are unreasonable.

Well, if you have to pull absurd stuff like that out of nowhere, just so you can pretend that Marth is going to be in the game...

If brands in the eyes were a thing in Fire Emblem or if there was a better payoff then this absurd time travel nonsense, then maybe they were too high. As it is, I am fine with my expectations where they are.

It would be insulting towards writers who put lots of thought and effort into their stories and worlds, when you treat a half hearted script as equally great.

Thanks for sharing this pile of unsupported conjecture about the motivations of people you've never met. Meanwhile, the simple explanation here is that they wanted a Kitchen Sink game that tied the lore together, and this was a nice way to do it.

Okay, it's not a "pile" because the only thing I speculated was the motivation to put someone in a Marth costume into the game.

The it doesn't add anything to the story is of course merely personal opinion. And if the only part thing it does is to "tie the lore together", that doesn't change.

If there is anything else you see in it, I would definitely love to hear it.

And personally I find my theory plausible because the whole "fighting against" part, doesn't even receive an attempt of an explanation despite featuring prominently in the ads and even on the game's cover.

Not to mention that the "claiming to be the Hero-King of legends." part in the pre-release info is flat out wrong. (But then gain, even wikipedia links to Serenesforest for that summation, so who knows where we got that one from. At least NoA's page has a different plot summary) In the game, nobody even considers the possibility that the person might actually be Marth or thinks that she pretends to be him.

Chrom recognizes the name but that's about it. They didn't even recognize the clothes.

So whatever there motivation was, they did mislead the audience in their ads.

Edited by BrightBow

But whatever, I don't get why you brought her up. It's Lucina we are taking about here. Lissa didn't even make it into the finale.

Lissa is Ylissean royalty, like Lucina. The country is not at war. That is Lissa's normal outfit. I feel like a dentist right now; this is honest-to-Altana an extremely basic point.

Anyway, it's absurd that she is wearing expensive clothes with rare materials [...]

I was wondering when this would happen. Since we're now at the point where you are literally making things up (see above), I'm going to start dismissing it out of hand in the interests of time.

As it is, I am fine with my expectations where they are.

This is fine, of course. You are perfectly within your rights to have absurd expectations for the plotline of a T-rated handheld videogame.

And personally I find my theory plausible [...]

The best thing that I can say about it, is that your theory is not technically impossible.

Chrom recognizes the name but that's about it. They didn't even recognize the clothes.

It's worth noting here that by the same (absence of) evidence, we can assume that Chrom never has to take a shit, because it wasn't in the script.

Even then, it's not like other fire emblem lords didn't wear special clothes to fight. The awakening hate here is hilarious, really.

There's nothing wrong with lucina's design, especially compared to other lords. I don't see any of you guys complaining about half the lords having blue hair, which is also a reference to Marth, or the fire emblem appearing in almost every game of the series.

Edited by Nobody

I don't see any of you guys complaining about half the lords having blue hair, which is also a reference to Marth, or the fire emblem appearing in almost every game of the series.

That's only because you haven't given it enough time. We are about 4-5 replies away from Brightbow manufacturing an approximate cost for the precious metals used in constructing the sheath for Falchion, and estimating how many orphans had to walk around in bedsheets in order for Lucina's army of personal tailors to create the perfect stitch for her left sleeve.

Edited by Interceptor

Fun fact: I first found out about the word Inane because it was the name of naruto translator. I really liked the word and use it now.

Also the Future Past deal.

... She took up the name "Marth" when her parents died. That outfit and the name are not constructs of her timetravel. [Only the mask, which to be blunt - is stupidity, is.]

stuff.

Well, you don't disguise yourself as Superman to hide yourself in public. That's why it's beyond stupid.

On the wonderful topic at hand:

I don't see how the mask is stupid. It makes sense to conceal the brand.

Considering that Lucina is descended from Marth's lineage, it makes sense that she (and ylissean royalty) have outfits that look kind of like Marth's. But as I've pointed out several times, they aren't a direct copy or anything, so it's not that surprising. What sells the Marth connection is the headband, which good easily be handed family tradition of royalty.

Lucina taking up the name Marth is for two reasons. First, she takes up the name specifically to gain strength from his example and his character. She specifically states that in her supports with Tiki. Secondly, the name carries weight, allowing her to change the timeline by influencing Chrom, Emmeryn, Basilio, etc. Remember, she isn't exactly trying to stay hidden; she is trying to change the future. She also doesn't want to not exist (or another version of her to not to exist), so even without the mask, she keeps her name secret until after her other version is born.

The comparison to taking up the name Superman was made, but a more apt comparison would be someone like Spider-Man 2099. Miguel O'Hara takes up the name Spider-Man in this dystopian future because he wants to be a hero like the original Spider-Man was back in the heroic age (the now era of Marvel, or more aptly, the 90s era of Marvel). He has similar powers but not the same powers (similar to how Lucina wields the Falchion just like Marth but its only partially awakened). He isn't claiming to be that Spider-Man, but recognizes the name Spider-Man is a symbol, just like the name Marth is a symbol.

And again, it's not a perfect Marth cosplay. The designs are different. We recognize them as similar because the game told us so and she carries the same head band. The colors are the same, but blue is standard color for character designs, as is gold for royalty. She doesn't have the same shoulder pad get up as Marth, and the shirt design as well as pants are completely different. She wears feminine boots. And remember, the game takes place 2000 years after Marth's games. So no one in their right mind would think she is Marth, because they already know Marth died long ago. There is no confusion about that in game.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

Just wondering how people could remember Marth's clothes 2000 years later... Maybe we can attribute it to fate/coincidence? Unless they answered that in the DLC (haven't played most of them yet, unlocking all supports first).

Just wondering how people could remember Marth's clothes 2000 years later... Maybe we can attribute it to fate/coincidence? Unless they answered that in the DLC (haven't played most of them yet, unlocking all supports first).

Just like people nowadays know how Julius Caesar looked like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:0092_-_Wien_-_Kunsthistorisches_Museum_-_Gaius_Julius_Caesar-edit.jpg

I'd say that compared to most characters in the game (and by FE standards, obviously), Lucina's outfit is one of the most "normal".

Not as fanservicey as the early FE dancers, Lyn, Karla...hell, any of the males and females showing more 'skin' than makes sense in war.

Folks be hatin' for the wrooooooooooong reasons. But hey, it's Awakening. All hate is justified clearly.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

Not as fanservicey as the early FE dancers, Lyn, Karla...hell, any of the males and females showing more 'skin' than makes sense in war.

How is Karla fanservicey?

I don't remember her outfits, but the In game potraits seems fine(as in, normal)

But hey, it's Awakening. All hate is justified clearly.

Not really nope

I don't think there's anything wrong with Lucina's design in terms of fanservicy-ness or war-friendliness or whatever. I just think it reflects too much on her non-existent fashion sense. Which is rather fitting, admittedly, but still. xP

We're talking about a fantasy middle ages-inspired setting.

"Fashion Sense" is EXTREMELY relative. I think Lucina is one of my favorites when it comes to clothes.

Edited by Jave

Iirc lucina supports include horrible attire with her mother, and how embarassingly ugly it is. Isn't that a reflection of her awkward fashion sense?

Though it's justified, as she later says how she never got to do leisurely things like just go shopping and live normally, granted her timeline.

Her royal Ylissean attire is one I approve of (her base outfit), and tbh, I could see her outfit being designed based on three Hero King of Legend, especially with her having the brand. Inspiration comess from all sources, like paintings, or murals, or statutes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Lucina's design in terms of fanservicy-ness or war-friendliness or whatever. I just think it reflects too much on her non-existent fashion sense. Which is rather fitting, admittedly, but still. xP

Fashion sense? Fashion sense? I think that this thread has not only hit the bottom of the barrel, it's blown straight through and kept going.

FFS, she's not wearing leopard prints. Everything matches in her outfit, the colors aren't garish or clashing, and it's even fairly practical other than the cape (especially compared to some of the rest of the cast).

Fashion sense? Fashion sense? I think that this thread has not only hit the bottom of the barrel, it's blown straight through and kept going.

FFS, she's not wearing leopard prints. Everything matches in her outfit, the colors aren't garish or clashing, and it's even fairly practical other than the cape (especially compared to some of the rest of the cast).

I never said nothing in it matched or that it wasn't practical. I think the tunic, the armor, the boots, and pretty much everything else just looks stupid. That's all. Is it really a difficult concept to grasp?

Iirc lucina supports include horrible attire with her mother, and how embarassingly ugly it is. Isn't that a reflection of her awkward fashion sense?

Though it's justified, as she later says how she never got to do leisurely things like just go shopping and live normally, granted her timeline.

Her royal Ylissean attire is one I approve of (her base outfit), and tbh, I could see her outfit being designed based on three Hero King of Legend, especially with her having the brand. Inspiration comess from all sources, like paintings, or murals, or statutes.

I don't think the ugly dress she picks for her mother means much in the grand scheme of things. I think that can be attributed to Lucina just wanting to spend time with her mother, which as you said, is something she never got to do much in her previous timeline.

I do think that some people in this topic are going out of their way to throw hate into certain characters, though. Not liking or not caring about them is one thing, but throwing stuff like Lucina's awful design reflects her horrible fashion sense? That's going too far, people.

I never said nothing in it matched or that it wasn't practical. I think the tunic, the armor, the boots, and pretty much everything else just looks stupid. That's all. Is it really a difficult concept to grasp?

I was expecting something a little more particular than "it looks stupid", which is more like a playground taunt than a fashion critique.

I was expecting something a little more particular than "it looks stupid", which is more like a playground taunt than a fashion critique.

Not to mention, you better not say a character she likes has a stupid design. That's just unacceptable.

I don't think the ugly dress she picks for her mother means much in the grand scheme of things. I think that can be attributed to Lucina just wanting to spend time with her mother, which as you said, is something she never got to do much in her previous timeline.

I do think that some people in this topic are going out of their way to throw hate into certain characters, though. Not liking or not caring about them is one thing, but throwing stuff like Lucina's awful design reflects her horrible fashion sense? That's going too far, people.

But Lucina does have an awful fashion sense. Not saying her Marth garb is bad [it's one of the better outfits in the game], but something tells me she's not the one who picked that.

Honestly, I'm surprised that her roster note isn't "The one with the worst fashion sense." since that's actually reflected. [Her trait of not getting jokes... isn't. People aren't usually joking around her.]

But Lucina does have an awful fashion sense. Not saying her Marth garb is bad [it's one of the better outfits in the game], but something tells me she's not the one who picked that.

Honestly, I'm surprised that her roster note isn't "The one with the worst fashion sense." since that's actually reflected. [Her trait of not getting jokes... isn't. People aren't usually joking around her.]

There isn't really anything she has terrible fashion sense within the game. As mentioned, her conversations from her mother are more about spending time with her mother, which she couldn't do in the previous timeline.

Additionally, I don't think all traits are means to be reflected within support conversations. In fact, I look at most of them as just fun facts about the characters.

It's not that it's a difficult concept. It's that you are putting forward a not so good argument/statement, with little reason behind it. There are people who like the design of the character, so when you say that, naturally people will come to the design's defense.

There isn't really anything she has terrible fashion sense within the game. As mentioned, her conversations from her mother are more about spending time with her mother, which she couldn't do in the previous timeline.

Now, yes, the point of the conversation was her trying to spend time with her mother [which ultimately lead to her bowing out, which ends with her mother saying no she should stay, like with all of the kids], but she still was picking out terrible, terrible clothes.

A poor fashion sense is a poor fashion sense-- and it's definitely a trait that Lucina has.

Not to mention, you better not say a character she likes has a stupid design. That's just unacceptable.

Excuse me? I'll thank you NOT to put words in my mouth. If someone doesn't like Frederick or Donnel or Cordelia design wise, so what? It's their opinion and they're allowed to have it.