What kind of new Pokemon types can you make up an idea or introduced in the future games just like Steel-type in Gen II and Fairy-type in Gen VI?

King Marth 64

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the whole concept of a Light type, I could see a way it could work without interfering with the design of other typing being associated with Light (because why not - let's play devil's advocate for a moment).

Make it the antithesis of the Shadow Type of Colosseum/Gale of Darkness. Perhaps there's some method in Orre that exalts Pokemon above others in a way, something even more than the purification at the Celebi Shrine and later at a certain lab. Perhaps the same lab discovers there's a way to fill a Pokemon's heart with so much purity and other various positive energy that it strengthens them against the darkness lurking in Shadow Pokemon and a strike from a Light Pokemon can gradually dispel the artificial closure of a Shadow Pokemon's heart (and in reverse, Shadow attacks on a Light Pokemon gradually corrupts the purity until the Pokemon reaches a normal state). Because of the previous statements, attacks against one another are counted as ineffective (Shadow -> Light is ineffective because Shadow energy is absorbed to corrupt the Pokemon instead of dealing damage and the vice versa for Light -> Shadow).

Would that be a more logical approach, perhaps? Just a thought.

TL;DR Light is an additive typing like Shadow.

Edited by Interest

On the whole concept of a Light type, I could see a way it could work without interfering with the design of other typing being associated with Light (because why not - let's play devil's advocate for a moment).

Make it the antithesis of the Shadow Type of Colosseum/Gale of Darkness. Perhaps there's some method in Orre that exalts Pokemon above others in a way, something even more than the purification at the Celebi Shrine and later at a certain lab. Perhaps the same lab discovers there's a way to fill a Pokemon's heart with so much purity and other various positive energy that it strengthens them against the darkness lurking in Shadow Pokemon and a strike from a Light Pokemon can gradually dispel the artificial closure of a Shadow Pokemon's heart (and in reverse, Shadow attacks on a Light Pokemon gradually corrupts the purity until the Pokemon reaches a normal state). Because of the previous statements, attacks against one another are counted as ineffective (Shadow -> Light is ineffective because Shadow energy is absorbed to corrupt the Pokemon instead of dealing damage and the vice versa for Light -> Shadow).

Would that be a more logical approach, perhaps? Just a thought.

TL;DR Light is an additive typing like Shadow.

As a fan of the Orre games, I really like that idea. It could be an alternative method to having to snag people's pokemon (as fun as that was); Battling someone's shadow pokemon with your Light pokemon would gradually open their heart, but after every battle in order to keep your Pokemon's light, you'd have to go do something different to restore it. Sounds interesting to me....

gyrados would have been too broken if it was water/dragon from the start(dunno why it became part dark but w/e)

also

I'm not sure. Many called Gyara's Flying type to be useless, but that Flying types is very crucial in making it good, thanks to the resistance to Bug and Fighting.

Dragon Gyarados would be OU in Gen 1 though, since it have no Weakness + movepool, but I doubt it would really be broken. At best, Gyara is a Starmie with worse typing

gyarados isn't fast enough to be broken since every offensive pokemon in OU outspeeds him, but he also isn't totally stopped by chansey and can threaten alakazam if zam is paralyzed.

and the benefit of water/dragon typing is overstated. water/dragon has no resistance to blizzard, thunderbolt, psychic, body slam, and earthquake, which are everywhere in RBY OU. 4x resists to fire and water are worthless, and water STAB isn't worth very much, either.

while we're on the topic of gen 1 retypings, dragonite -> normal/dragon, anyone? that would have been beast. and normal/psychic would have been a fantastic offensive typing on any pokemon that could remotely go mixed.

Edited by dondon151

A legendary bug trio each with their own buglike boosting move and ability.

Bug/Ghost moth (Shield dust and Quiver dance),

Bug/Fairy firefly (Tinted Lens and Tail Glow)

Bug/Water sea scorpion (Compoundeyes and Shell Smash)

Bug is one of those types where it's easy to make dual types with, since there's so many species of insects/arthropods in real life and yet we keep getting mono bug and Bug/Flying.

Bug/Ground earthworm, Bug/Fairy butterfly, also a Bug Eeveelution named Scorpeon.

A legendary bug trio each with their own buglike boosting move and ability.

Bug/Ghost moth (Shield dust and Quiver dance),

Bug/Fairy firefly (Tinted Lens and Tail Glow)

Bug/Water sea scorpion (Compoundeyes and Shell Smash)

Bug is one of those types where it's easy to make dual types with, since there's so many species of insects/arthropods in real life and yet we keep getting mono bug and Bug/Flying.

Bug/Ground earthworm, Bug/Fairy butterfly, also a Bug Eeveelution named Scorpeon.

Why has this not happened yet? GET ON IT GAMEFREAK!!

bug/ground and bug/water are two unique type combinations that are only on unevolved pokemon; it's a shame that there isn't an evolved pokemon representing this type combination.

(for a hack that i'm making, i retyped pinsir to bug/ground and crawdaunt to water/bug. makes sense, doesn't it? and in gen 6, the clauncher line would have been ideal candidates for bug/water types, given their arthropod origins and their current mono-water typing.)

bug/ground and bug/water are two unique type combinations that are only on unevolved pokemon; it's a shame that there isn't an evolved pokemon representing this type combination.

(for a hack that i'm making, i retyped pinsir to bug/ground and crawdaunt to water/bug. makes sense, doesn't it? and in gen 6, the clauncher line would have been ideal candidates for bug/water types, given their arthropod origins and their current mono-water typing.)

Bug/Ground Pinsir makes sense. Crawdaunt and Clauncher don't make that much sense as bugs to me though, since they seem to be crab and shrimp, respectively.

Maybe retyping some Bug/Flying pokemon into new bug-combinations would work? Masquerain should have stayed as Bug/Water at least IMO.

Yanmega for Bug/Dragon

Edited by Sylphid

Bug/Ground Pinsir makes sense. Crawdaunt and Clauncher don't make that much sense as bugs to me though, since they seem to be crab and shrimp, respectively.

crab and shrimp are arthropods

and yes, crustaceans generally aren't included under the informal definition of "bug," but anorith and armaldo are non-insect bugs.

Edited by dondon151

conversely, water has a high specific heat, so it resists ice.

If water resist ice, the opposite should also be true: water should do 0.5 dommage to ice. Ice need exactly the same amount of energy as water to increase a degree.

I think poison should be super effective against water for and obvious contamination reason.

As for typing I'd like more ''non rotom'' electric combination

Sandy cloak Wormadam is Bug/Ground

If water resist ice, the opposite should also be true: water should do 0.5 dommage to ice. Ice need exactly the same amount of energy as water to increase a degree.

The specific heat of ice at 0 degrees Celsius is only about half that of the specific heat of water at 25 degrees Celsius.

I'd rather keep Dark on Corphish and Crawdaunt due to their violent nature.

Now I'd be perfectly fine with them on Krabby and Kingler, unless you already planned that and, considering this is a Hoenn hack, why not retype Crabhammer (and maybe Vicegrip too) to Bug to let them use it with their Attack.

Besides, there's been non insect bug types since Johto with the likes of Spinarak.

I've also seen people wanting pistol shrimp such as Clauncher as a Water/Fire type before Generation 6 was revealed. Would've been fun for these little buggers to use moves like Fire Blast I'll admit.

Edited by Woodshooter

I've always wished Yanmega at least was Bug/Dragon....y'know, cuz its a dragonfly and all.....

Shuckle and Dwebble/Crustle are also non-insect Bug types. So I kinda wish either the Corphish line or Clauncher line especially would've been Bug/Water by that logic. And I wanted Drapion to be Bug/Dark since we already got a Poison/Dark pokemon in the same gen no less.....

X and Y was good with the new type combos but there's still some I wanna see...

Ice/Steel: Maybe an ancient metallic robot knight in a lost frozen temple which has formed icy growths on it

Grass/Fire: Make a Chili Pepper Pokemon with Flame Body (spicy) for its ability. I think it could work :P

Fire/Poison: Since we know that fire starters are based on the Chinese zodiac I think this would be a cool type combo for a starter referencing the year of the snake :D

Ice/Fire: Make a Pokemon based on a comet since it has a flame-like trail and comets are commonly made of ice particles. It could be a really cute one I imagine ^.^

Electric/Dark: Why can I imagine a nasty little electric imp or trickster filling this role? XD

Electric/Fighting: Not sure what it would be but I think this type combo looks cool :)

Bug/Ice: Imagine a huge beautiful blue moth or dragonfly with icy wings and white fluff around its neck o.o

As for a new type, I can imagine two that could work...

Light: While yes Fairy does fill its role in a way I think there could be some really cool concepts to be had with this type. Not sure about all the details but I think this would be cool :)

Cyber: I've always thought this type would be awesome. It would give the Porygon line something cool and could open the way for interesting Pokemon designs. It could also be because I love Tron and the concept of virtual realms/cyberspace XD. Could be weak to Electricity, Poison and Fire (Electrical surges damage technology, Poison being like computer "viruses" Get it? :D and Fire because computer tech is damaged when its overheated)

I've always wished Yanmega at least was Bug/Dragon....y'know, cuz its a dragonfly and all.....

I saw someone mention a mega evolution for Yanmega that does that. Would be a nice departure from Bug/Flying (not a fan of that typing because dat Rock weakness)

Edited by Interest

while we're on the topic of gen 1 retypings, dragonite -> normal/dragon, anyone? that would have been beast. and normal/psychic would have been a fantastic offensive typing on any pokemon that could remotely go mixed.

girafarig.jpg >>>>>>> Gen 1

Jokes aside N/D Dragonite would be a beast. Find a window to use Agility and spam Wrap. Good thing Dragonite is unable to get EQ

Now I'd be perfectly fine with them on Krabby and Kingler, unless you already planned that and, considering this is a Hoenn hack, why not retype Crabhammer (and maybe Vicegrip too) to Bug to let them use it with their Attack.

krabby and kingler got a steel type

Color me curious about what gave you the idea. I've seen Shin use Water/Fighting for his romhack Kinglers too.

Electric/Fighting would've been neat on Electivire (likewise Magmortar could've had Fighting attached too) since he vaguely reminds me of Blanka. Luxray's a poor excuse for a Dark type since he's not really evil though. I'd envision Fire/Ice a bit like Gill in Street Fighter, or otherwise something based on Icelandic volcanoes.

Color me curious about what gave you the idea. I've seen Shin use Water/Fighting for his romhack Kinglers too.

Electric/Fighting would've been neat on Electivire (likewise Magmortar could've had Fighting attached too) since he vaguely reminds me of Blanka. Luxray's a poor excuse for a Dark type since he's not really evil though. I'd envision Fire/Ice a bit like Gill in Street Fighter, or otherwise something based on Icelandic volcanoes.

kingler can learn metal claw and iron defense, and it's not that far of a stretch to go from armored crab -> steel type. i was going to do water/bug for kingler at first, but since i'm not implementing the physical/special split, i figured that crawdaunt would prefer having a physical STAB rather than be stuck with water/dark. so crawdaunt became water/bug and kingler got water/steel.

i thought about adding fighting to electabuzz and magmar, but that would have been too many fighting types.