What kind of new Pokemon types can you make up an idea or introduced in the future games just like Steel-type in Gen II and Fairy-type in Gen VI?

King Marth 64

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the hidden Pokémon this generation is indeed a Psychic/Ghost at least. Too bad it has two dual weaknesses.

I'm not too sure about other type effectiveness switches. Ice being good on Water would probably be the one that comes to mind.

Wouldn't that make Freeze-Dry pointless?

not in japan they don't.

also, mega charizard X

I guess, but most dragons in the games aren't based off japanese dragons. The pokemon most based of them isn't even a dragon (Gyarados)

Also, the post that led to my comment specified PERMANENT fire/dragon

That split should have been done from the start. I always wondered why a Fighting-type is so weak against a bird pecking at it / why a Bug-type would be damaged so badly by being blown around.

I'm actually against most part-Normal combinations other than Normal/Flying. To me, Normal is elemental neutrality. I would strip Normal from the Deerling, Litleo, and Helioptile lines. Normal/(other type) implies a weak command of the other type, like Bibarel, Girafarig, and Wigglytuff.

I don't really see why Flying would be so good against Fighting anyway. Fighting dealing less damage sounds fair since flying objects are pretty hard to accurately hit, but until I see pidgeons pecking Georges Saint Pierre to death, I'm unconvinced.

Normal Flying wouldn't even be around anymore in the case of a Bird type being introduced.

Wouldn't that make Freeze-Dry pointless?

As if there are no pointless moves.

But really Ice being super effective against Water is only natural, especially with the large number of Water types based on cold blooded fauna.

Well, I decided to make the widely spoken of Light type for my fan region. I like the idea despite what some fans would say.

Also, the Dark type was introduced in gen 2 as well, you know. xP

Well, I decided to make the widely spoken of Light type for my fan region. I like the idea despite what some fans would say.

Also, the Dark type was introduced in gen 2 as well, you know. xP

I think Fairy type was made to fill the opposite of Dark type. I think people who suggest Light type don't quite understand what "Dark" means in this context. Dark types are cynical, cunning, dirty fighters, while Fairy types are naive and innocent.

Besides, Light type just sounds like it would take Pokémon into a different sort of fantasy, and a far more cliche one at that.

Edited by Shuuda

Only new type I've seen suggested that sounds feasible for pokemon is sound-type. It also seems most likely to come out, mostly because of stuff that exists already.

Heck, there're already sound-related abilities (Soundproof) and fairly many pokemon or moves that could easily be of that type (Whismur line, Chatot, Boomburst, Screech, Round, etc.). Besides, didn't Sound-based moves get the effect of bypassing Substitute in X/Y?

Though the possible new type should be something that balances the type chart, and I can't see Sound doing that logically.

Some changes that should occur would be Water being less good and Bug being better IMO.

Also yeah, Fairy is basically what some people have been wanting with Light/Magic types for a long time.

Edited by Sylphid

I can see gamefreak making types which are move exclusive, in the sense that no pokemon has that type, but moves like Screech would get the sound type

What would be the point of that? The only place such a thing would matter would be in attacks, where no Pokémon would get a STAB in. I don't think the game would benefit in anyway as a result of doing that.

I guess, but most dragons in the games aren't based off japanese dragons. The pokemon most based of them isn't even a dragon (Gyarados)

Also, the post that led to my comment specified PERMANENT fire/dragon

gyrados would have been too broken if it was water/dragon from the start(dunno why it became part dark but w/e)

also

250px-643Reshiram.png

please stop saying there is no fire/dragon

i mean it's not that good but it exists

Dark types are cynical, cunning, dirty fighters, while Fairy types are naive and innocent.

I'm aware. I still like the idea of a Light type. It wouldn't just be about light itself, Light types would be the complete opposite of Dark types. The peace-bringing, fair-fighting, and generous Pokemon. The Chansey line would be Light type to me, for example.

I'm aware. I still like the idea of a Light type. It wouldn't just be about light itself, Light types would be the complete opposite of Dark types. The peace-bringing, fair-fighting, and generous Pokemon. The Chansey line would be Light type to me, for example.

But that's basically what Fairy type is. I already mentioned that.

... May I add in one thing?

Fairies are not naive and innocent. The latest incarnations of them of them, maybe so, but countless tales of old have portrayed the fey in a manner similar to the Dark-type Pokemon - cunning, crafty and mischievous.

But that's basically what Fairy type is.

Who says? Prove it. Also, fairies are more associated with nature than anything. Look at movies like Fern Gully and Thumbelina if you don't believe me.

Edited by Anacybele

... May I add in one thing?

Fairies are not naive and innocent. The latest incarnations of them of them, maybe so, but countless tales of old have portrayed the fey in a manner similar to the Dark-type Pokemon - cunning, crafty and mischievous.

Yes, but most Fairy type Pokémon are based the modern image, aside from Kelfki and Whimsicott.

Who says? Prove it. Also, fairies are more associated with nature than anything. Look at movies like Fern Gully and Thumbelina if you don't believe me.

All right, keep yourself together.

Again, I'm talking about Fairy Pokémon, not Fairies in general. The whole peace bringer angle is covered pretty well by Togekiss, whereas Sylveon and Gardevoir cover kindness and positive emotions. Kelfki and Whimiscott are playful tricksters, and Azumarill and a few others cover the whole nature connection. From what I can see, the current list of Fairy types in game cover most angles for both Fairy and Light.

The only thing that Light can imply that isn't dealt with, is solar light, which is covered already with plenty of Fire and Grass types (plus Volcarona).

Oh, and fair fighting is done with most Fighting Types (see Gallade for example).

Edited by Shuuda

Yes, but most Fairy type Pokémon are based the modern image, aside from Kelfki and Whimsicott.

All right, keep yourself together.

Again, I'm talking about Fairy Pokémon, not Fairies in general. The whole peace bringer angle is covered pretty well by Togekiss, whereas Sylveon and Gardevoir cover kindness and positive emotions. Kelfki and Whimiscott are playful tricksters, and Azumarill and a few others cover the whole nature connection. From what I can see, the current list of Fairy types in game cover most angles for both Fairy and Light.

The only thing that Light can imply that isn't dealt with, is solar light, which is covered already with plenty of Fire and Grass types (plus Volcarona).

Oh, and fair fighting is done with most Fighting Types (see Gallade for example).

Ah.

Mawile counts as well for fitting into the more "tradition" fey archetype. From its Pokemon X Pokedex entry:

• It uses its docile-looking face to lull foes into complacency, then bites with its huge, relentless jaws.

Ah.

Mawile counts as well for fitting into the more "tradition" fey archetype. From its Pokemon X Pokedex entry:

• It uses its docile-looking face to lull foes into complacency, then bites with its huge, relentless jaws.

I believe Mawile is inspired by the Japanese myth of the two mouthed woman. That said, the desciption does perhaps put Mawile in the trickster column.

What would be the point of that? The only place such a thing would matter would be in attacks, where no Pokémon would get a STAB in. I don't think the game would benefit in anyway as a result of doing that.

I was meaning either to stop STAB damage. I'm not keen on the idea, but I can see it happening. Hyper beam needs a type change in my opinion. It's ridiculous that it doesn't hit ghosts, being normal type. That being said, I don't think it should give STAB damage to anyone but normal types.

gyrados would have been too broken if it was water/dragon from the start(dunno why it became part dark but w/e)

also

250px-643Reshiram.png

please stop saying there is no fire/dragon

i mean it's not that good but it exists

Sorry, my fault. The guy I was initially replying to specified both permanent and non-legendary. That being said, I do forget about Reshiram a lot... (He's one of the two cover legendaries I've never owned, along with Suicune)

Reshiram's fine, even if it looks like an angelic chicken with the Olympic torch up it's furry ass, but as I mentionned earlier, I'd really enjoy a non-Uber, permanent Fire/Dragon. Or just more of those at all.

We got weird shit like Ground/Flying (on something that could've easily been Bug, Poison or Dark no less) before we even got a single Fire/Dragon, and of course some types just enjoy popping back such as Water/Ground, Bug/Steel and Dragon/Flying or Dragon/Ground.

I believe Mawile is inspired by the Japanese myth of the two mouthed woman. That said, the desciption does perhaps put Mawile in the trickster column.

mawile also learns an absurd number of dark-type moves by level-up and TM. i was thinking of retyping mawile for a fire red hack and realized that it makes way more sense as a dark type.

6/9 users of the justified ability and 9/10 users of the steadfast ability are also fighting-type. between fighting, psychic, and fairy, we already have the antithesis to dark covered.

Edited by dondon151

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that even though they are named Dark types, they're meant to represent dirty fighters, hence why bite, faint attack, fake tears, foul play, etc. are dark moves. In that sense, like others mentioned, Fighting is the anti-thesis of Dark, hence why the absence of a Light type.