I just noticed FE4 is just like Hamlet.

Knight

There are so many comparisons, both involve a traitor killing a nobleman and stealing his wife to become king/emporer, both involve a son taking revenge, and both have people dying all over the place. If King Claudius had an evil son who Hamlet would have to kill in the end, you could call Genealogy of the Holy War a stretched out adaptation of Hamlet with more magic.

Pretty much. I kind of hate political stories unless it's done really well. FE4, despite it being on the SNES goes to great lengths to show how multiple characters are affected by every action that the nobles take.

Hamlet is the story of a man who realizes he's in a shitty revenge tragedy and tries his hardest to escape, only to realize it's impossible and giving into the fate Shakespeare wrote for him

FE4 is the story of dumb

How the fuck is the story of FE4 dumb?

Hamlet is about procrastinating the act of walking up and stabbing someone in the face. Fire Emblem 4 is about rising up as an army to take down an evil empire. Sure there's some basic themes of revenge in there but a lot of stories share a lot of basic themes without being intentionally related in anyway. Fire Emblem 4 probably shares more themes with Star Wars than Hamlet so far as I can see.

Hamlet is about procrastinating the act of walking up and stabbing someone in the face. Fire Emblem 4 is about rising up as an army to take down an evil empire. Sure there's some basic themes of revenge in there but a lot of stories share a lot of basic themes without being intentionally related in anyway. Fire Emblem 4 probably shares more themes with Star Wars than Hamlet so far as I can see.

Part 2. Part 1 plays out like a Shakespeare tragedy.

You could just as easily compare Manfroy's manipulations in the first gen to Darth Sidious' plans in the prequel trilogy.

Could and starting now will, yes indeed.

If Guildenstern and Rosencrantz enabled the revival of an ancient, continent-spanning empire despite their own good intentions both towards the people under their charge and towards their friends, both of whom suffered injusticis on more local levels before their initially helpful but misguided involvement, then sure, that'd be a perfectly act compari- man whatever

I think Star Wars is a bit more appropriate a comparison than Hamlet on the face of it, yeah, as fe4's less a personal revenge story than a feudal political fantasy.

Edited by Rehab

If Guildenstern and Rosencrantz enabled the revival of an ancient, continent-spanning empire despite their own good intentions both towards the people under their charge and towards their friends, both of whom suffered injusticis on more local levels before their initially helpful but misguided involvement, then sure, that'd be a perfectly act compari- man whatever

I think Star Wars is a bit more appropriate a comparison than Hamlet on the face of it, yeah, as fe4's less a personal revenge story than a feudal political fantasy.

rosencrantz and guildenstern do all of that

haven't you seen the sequel, rosencrantz and guildenstern are UNdead?

There are so many comparisons, both involve a traitor killing a nobleman and stealing his wife to become king/emporer, both involve a son taking revenge, and both have people dying all over the place. If King Claudius had an evil son who Hamlet would have to kill in the end, you could call Genealogy of the Holy War a stretched out adaptation of Hamlet with more magic.

Arvis didn't set out to steal Sigurd's wife; they were pawns in a master scheme. Seliph doesn't spend all of Gen 2 dicking around and watching Lana drown herself before having some guy who's spent the entire time off screen show up to claim the empire after everyone's dead. And Seliph isn't a tragic hero. Heck, Macbeth is a better parallel to FE4 than Hamlet any day of the week.

How the fuck is the story of FE4 dumb?

I think he means it's the story of a very clueless man who meant well but set in motion all kinds of horrible that destroyed just about every person on earth he cared about And I do mean Sigurd and not "Hey, this hot chick from nowhere looks just like my mum!" Arvis.

MODEDIT: edit don't doublepost

Edited by Integrity

If we want to draw parallels from Gen 1, I can see dividing it up into 5 acts, following the chapters actually really well.

Act 1: Prologue

Act 2: Chapter 1, Chapter 2

Act 3: Chapter 3

Act 4: Chapter 4

Act 5: Chapter 5

It's kind of obvious actually, as the third act twist can be seen as the Empire touting Sigurd as a traitor.

If we want to draw parallels from Gen 1, I can see dividing it up into 5 acts, following the chapters actually really well.

Act 1: Prologue

Act 2: Chapter 1, Chapter 2

Act 3: Chapter 3

Act 4: Chapter 4

Act 5: Chapter 5

It's kind of obvious actually, as the third act twist can be seen as the Empire touting Sigurd as a traitor.

heyyyy you're right!

Act 1/Prologue: Nothing Happens

Act 2/Ch 1, 2: Nothing Happens

Act 3/Ch 3: Polonius/Eltoshan die (Nothing Happens)

Act 4/Ch 4: Nothing Happens

Act 5/Ch 5: Everyone Dies

FE4 isn't Sigurd or Seliph's story. FE4 is Alvis story, with Trabant serving as a comparison.

When people think of FE4 has a great story, it's not the stupid white knight and his love at first sight they remember. That shit is boring and Sigurd is another boring Lord. No, the true hero is Alvis who tried to change the world, and to make it better for everyone, by any mean necessary. He worked hard to achieve his goal, and didn't fear bout bloodying is hand in orderto achieve his goal.

He was misguided, and nothing more than a puppet, but that only makes his destiny more tragic.

And, similary, between Cuan and Trabant, Trabant is the true hero. He's the underdog in this story, the ones countless films tell us we should root for them. It's easy to talk about human right and dignity when you always had far enugh to eat, and an idyllic landscape as far as your eyes can see. When you have nothing else than your own power, you use it. He tried to reunite both country. And, when he realised he was too old and his goal still wasn't in reach, he had the courage to abandon and let his son continue his goal. And even if it wasn't what he envisioned, in a way he succeeded at the end.

Arvis is absent for far too much of the story to be anything more than a supporting character.

Calling FE4 the story of Arvis is as silly as calling it the story of Leif. While the creator has obvious bias towards those 2, calling them the main characters is going too far.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

FE4 isn't Sigurd or Seliph's story. FE4 is Alvis story, with Trabant serving as a comparison.

When people think of FE4 has a great story, it's not the stupid white knight and his love at first sight they remember. That shit is boring and Sigurd is another boring Lord. No, the true hero is Alvis who tried to change the world, and to make it better for everyone, by any mean necessary. He worked hard to achieve his goal, and didn't fear bout bloodying is hand in orderto achieve his goal.

He was misguided, and nothing more than a puppet, but that only makes his destiny more tragic.

And, similary, between Cuan and Trabant, Trabant is the true hero. He's the underdog in this story, the ones countless films tell us we should root for them. It's easy to talk about human right and dignity when you always had far enugh to eat, and an idyllic landscape as far as your eyes can see. When you have nothing else than your own power, you use it. He tried to reunite both country. And, when he realised he was too old and his goal still wasn't in reach, he had the courage to abandon and let his son continue his goal. And even if it wasn't what he envisioned, in a way he succeeded at the end.

Trabant isn't a true hero. He's the guy who might have been a true hero if he'd been born in a different time and place. Just look at what the guy actually does on-screen in FE4:

Orders the massacre of civilians, including non-combatants and children

Takes a child hostage

In the course of delivering threats to the father of said child hostage, he implies a parent can't ever love an adopted child the way they'd love their "real kid," undercutting the idea that he could actually love Altena as anything more than a chesspiece. This isn't necessarily evil but does make him less sympathetic and basically acts as a narrative "right on!" when Lewyn and Finn are insisting that Travant be eliminated.

His methods aren't just brutal, they're war crimes. Even in FE5, where he does come across as a lot more noble and even loving than in FE4, he admits that he's going to hell. He's a great antagonist and an all-around character, but calling him the true hero just goes too far IMO. Quan's no saint either and as far as I can tell he's got no legitimate claim to rule all Thracia, but I'm not aware that hostage-taking and massacres were on his resume.

• 4 weeks later...