YouTube Content ID flagging

Raven

I'm not affected but holy fuck watch this

Can't help but feel for the guy, and any others who are in the same predicament as him.

Edited by Shuuda

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if he's so displeased, he should like stop making money off YouTube then. Then again, whining in this way is another foolproof way to make even more money off YouTube. lol.

It's not like anything new happened that hasn't happened before, though.

that's what you get for making money off other peoples' IP

IP?

So if he's so displeased, he should like stop making money off YouTube then. Then again, whining in this way is another foolproof way to make even more money off YouTube. lol.

It's not like anything new happened that hasn't happened before, though.

I'd imagine if this content ID flagging system isn't fixed or abolished, he and other popular content creators will have no choice but to continue hosting their content elsewhere.

I think he means Intellectual property

If that's the case, I'm not sure how creating videos that review games and the likes is considered theft of intellectual property.

If that's the case, I'm not sure how creating videos that review games and the likes is considered theft of intellectual property.

Reviews and criticism are not.

They're protected under fair use.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Can't help but feel for the guy, and any others who are in the same predicament as him.

Angry Joe speaks the truth.

He always does to many of his gaming reviews.

It's pretty shitty but I can't say I'm surprised.

Haven't got ID matched on any of my videos, though.

I got one of my videos flagged for the band Bomb the Music Industry!, a DIY non-profit punk band that gives out their music for free on their website.

It's that bad.

They need to fix their coding, especially the blocked ones because fair use.

...and this.

8848517.png

...Those aren't copyright strikes. Unless they're mines waiting to explode or something.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I haven't really gotten any warnings or flags, but I do have a fair number of matched third party content "landmines" just waiting to blow. And two of these videos are blocked in certain countries. Which sucks because they're videos that I had to do for homework assignments, and I've gotten landmines for just using ONE SONG or ONE STILL from a video game. What the actual fuck, man.

Strangely, though, I've recorded videos of gameplay in Just Cause 2 using the PS3 version's record option, and those haven't gotten matched for third party content, which is kind of interesting.

Before anyone in this topic says it, because someone inevitably will and they're already bordering the edge, it is not good for companies to start claiming revenue from gamer videos.

Firstly, gamers are not making money off their videos, they're making money off of advertisement views that advertisers place in their videos. There is a distinct difference.

Secondly, their videos propel sales for games tremendously, and they (nearly) always buy their own copy of the game so they have the right to record footage and gain views from it. If you want an example, look at Terraria, Minecraft, and Amnesia, all of which sold millions of copies and would not otherwise if big name gamer videos hadn't done LP's of them and the like.

Thirdly, even if you want to make the argument that people like Pewds shouldn't make money off of terrible commentary, just talking while playing a game, I could agree with you, except that these youtube changes don't affect just people like him, but people who review games, people who put hours of effort into all their LP videos, people who edit carefully to make their videos funny and entertaining, and all sorts of other scenarios like that. If it just affected straight up no-editing commentary over games, I think most people wouldn't care.

Fourthly, whether someone "makes a living off playing games lol" or not isn't really your business. You can say "Pewds plays games and talks and makes millions of dollars so he's a spoiled brat" if you want, but you should be fair and note that it took him hundreds of videos to get to the point where he made anywhere near the level of money where he could live off it. Now, he doesn't work a job and after at least two years of work, advertising and etc, he has gotten to the point he's at now. Therefore my point is that to get as big as him, it takes tons of work and it's not something that's done overnight.

Edited by IM FAE OMG!!

I'm glad I haven't been affected yet (Other then two I had already) but it's really making me nervous about what I upload now. Then again, this kinda stuff had always made me nervous. I'd consider joining a network, but I really don't want to myself. (Don't think it does much anyways.)

Edited by Monde

that's what you get for making money off other peoples' IP

And yet some companies have distinct clauses that allow content creators to monetize video footage of their IP and the like (there are more but these two were easy to find).

And yet there's no explicit law covering gaming footage (either for or against monetizing the content)

And yet even if there were some sort of existing law that could be twisted to justify the takedowns, imagine the PR backlash. Remember that Nintendo claiming on Let's Plays thing? Day One Garry's Incident? <insert other controversial news here>?

But I digress...

I saw the TB version and then this one. I can't help but cry, especially given the crap that's been happening over this year. Apparently it's getting so bad there's a project going on that is intended to be a Youtube alternate (again?)

Why is this new news? Youtube's content ID flags have been blanket and automated for years.

Well previously the ID matches were initiated by someone else claiming. In this case, however, Youtube itself is in a way "submitting its own claim" and trying to re-monetize all content under their Google Adsense wing on Youtube or something (using what are either existing claims or ID matching). It's a subtle difference between an individual entity claiming and opening the floodgates for numerous entities to claim (some of which are erroneous - i.e. the entities aren't even submitting the claims at ALL). In short this is apparently very broad and far-reaching by comparison.

<long, well-reasoned quote>

Quoting because I wanted to say some of this stuff.

Edited by Interest

I saw the TB version and then this one. I can't help but cry, especially given the crap that's been happening over this year. Apparently it's getting so bad there's a project going on that is intended to be a Youtube alternate (again?)

I hope this turns out well. I really want a youtube alternative because I'm sick of their constant bullshit. They're big, sure, but they have plenty of room to improve that they've never improved and they're trying so hard to fail it sickens me.