YouTube Content ID flagging

Raven

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the case, I'm not sure how creating videos that review games and the likes is considered theft of intellectual property.

I didn't say it was theft, I just meant that if you're trying to make money off things that don't belong to you then you should be prepared to bear the consequences of anything going pear-shaped.

I like how the first few posts are bashing on angry joe wtf is up with that

I didn't say it was theft, I just meant that if you're trying to make money off things that don't belong to you then you should be prepared to bear the consequences of anything going pear-shaped.

like you, people like you really piss me off

seriously these aren't criminals we're talking about they're people who have a passion for what they do and entertain a lot of people doing it and they're getting crushed by the BIG MAN in the most stereotypical big man fashion possible and you're gonna go against them with these asinine arguments

Edited by General Banzai

The opinions towards a video game and its content (a.k.a. the very reviews that Joe have created, where the main focus is on what he is saying about what is shown/heard on-screen) are 100% Joe's intellectual property.

Many huge game developers have already shown their support against this shit that's going on and have already stated that any automatic flaggings made by YouTube's system will be retracted by these game companies themselves if the video owners challenge the flagging.

So yeah, it's just YouTube being fucking retarded to the nth degree.

Sometimes you can get an audio copyright claim if you, like, record yourself farting and put it up on YouTube, so it's only a problem to do with YouTube's sound identification system which occasionally identifies too much. Seriously, record yourself playing or singing Greensleeves and there will be some unknown folk collective that will somehow claim to the rights to your version.

seriously these aren't criminals we're talking about they're people who have a passion for what they do and entertain a lot of people doing it and they're getting crushed by the BIG MAN in the most stereotypical big man fashion possible and you're gonna go against them with these asinine arguments

it's not an argument

but let's go along with it: so if there was a cover artist who performs songs in legal grey areas, you'd be upset if they got a C&D?

Edited by Agro

it's not an argument

but let's go along with it: so if there was a cover artist who performs songs in legal grey areas, you'd be upset if they got a C&D?

oz_scarecrow_1.jpg

Edited by Makaze

it's not an argument

Did you even watch the video? I don't think you did.

The guy reviews games for a living. In his reviews he shows clips--not full movies/games/music but CLIPS--in order to illustrate the points he's making. Youtube's auto-flag system flags him for this.

Do you think people who review games/movies/music for a living should be able to be shut down by the companies that own the games they review?

Personally I feel that copyright law shouldn't go into effect short of someone reappropriating something wholescale and claiming it belongs to them, but this is simply ridiculous. In fact, as the video points out, it's not a legal use of copyright law at all, especially since some of the companies supposedly flagging their content have made public statements that they don't care if their material is used in this way.

Again, I'm really just echoing things pointed out in the video, but I'm pretty sure you just didn't watch it past the first minute or two and just started mouthing off like you knew what the fuck you were talking about

Did you even watch the video? I don't think you did.

The guy reviews games for a living. In his reviews he shows clips--not full movies/games/music but CLIPS--in order to illustrate the points he's making. Youtube's auto-flag system flags him for this.

Do you think people who review games/movies/music for a living should be able to be shut down by the companies that own the games they review?

Personally I feel that copyright law shouldn't go into effect short of someone reappropriating something wholescale and claiming it belongs to them, but this is simply ridiculous. In fact, as the video points out, it's not a legal use of copyright law at all, especially since some of the companies supposedly flagging their content have made public statements that they don't care if their material is used in this way.

Again, I'm really just echoing things pointed out in the video, but I'm pretty sure you just didn't watch it past the first minute or two and just started mouthing off like you knew what the fuck you were talking about

Don't feed the straw man.

Except nobody is shutting that particular shitty AVGN clone down, just some of his videos appeared on a page which tries to show which content had been identified as belonging to somebody else, without any threats to the video maker. Painting him the victim of the "big man" completely misses the simple fact that YouTube has become (it always was I guess) a way for people to make dull, attention whoring content with flashy thumbnails to generate money from ad revenue. Except 5 years ago it was just Fred and Chris Crocker and whoever else whom people were pointing out as examples of tasteless anti-heroes of the internet, and now everyone soaks up hysteric and cheap traits to become the Fred/Chris Crocker in their field of interest. YouTube's such fucking shit right now that I'm not surprised 90% of my old friends left. I suggest you stop and think again who really has a clue what's going on here.

I have a video on my account of me playing a Chopin Scherzo and Youtube flagged it for sharing content with a Yundi Li performance.

So honored. :'D

Edited by Roxas

he should go get an actual job instead of being buttmad that youtube wants money (which is what he wants from youtube LOL)

yeah man

serving fries and burgers at mcdonalds is so fulfilling i'd rather do that than get money doing something i and others enjoy

That's an incredibly specious claim to make, given that their reviews are protected under Fair Use legally. Even disregarding that fact the notion that the material they're using is unarguably not theirs is beyond idiotic. The rights many corporations have been given with regard to copyrights is quite simply out of control. Organizations such as the RIAA and MPAA worked to shut down guitar tabbing sites, for example, claiming that the right to tell others how to play licensed songs was their right. What's next, it's illegal for me to show a popular chord to a friend on the grounds that someone owns the rights to a pattern of tones?

It's utter bullshit, and it's fueled by the buying power of the same money-hungry corporations that brought it to where it is today.

he should go get an actual job instead of being buttmad that youtube wants money (which is what he wants from youtube LOL)

Any job in which one wishes to pay another for service is an actual job. The talking point that one should "get a real job" is spoken so often and very rarely by anyone with a clue of the basics of economics. As if flipping burgers for a soulless multinational corporation is anymore beneficial to the world than reviewing videogames.

yeah man

serving fries and burgers at mcdonalds is so fulfilling i'd rather do that than get money doing something i and others enjoy

Any job in which one wishes to pay another for service is an actual job. The talking point that one should "get a real job" is spoken so often and very rarely by anyone with a clue of the basics of economics. As if flipping burgers for a soulless multinational corporation is anymore beneficial to the world than reviewing videogames.

why do you both assume flipping burgers

is it because you acknowledge how worthless this dude is and that he isn't qualified for anything else?

guys like him are like buzzfeed; take content others create and use it for their own profit

go make your own content then if you don't want to be flagged for taking someone else's content

Edited by Inui

Because that is the most common retail job for entry-level workers.

Who decides the worth of a job? Is it not the consumers that exchange goods for their services? For one who defines himself as a libertarian you seem awfully against the workings of a free market.

go make your own content then if you don't want to be flagged for taking someone else's content

It is protected under Fair Use. It isn't taking anyone else's content.
Edited by Esau of Isaac

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/11/11/americas-most-popular-jobs/

it's not the most common starter job at all, not even close

but it sure is embarrassing that someone his age is only qualified for starter jobs -_-

about Fair Use: this guy and others can try taking their cases to court if they want but Fair Use is super ambiguous lol

yes I am Libertarian and believe in people keeping the fruits of their own labor and not going to war for anything but defense

why do you both assume flipping burgers

is it because you acknowledge how worthless this dude is and that he isn't qualified for anything else?

if you watched the video, you'd know that burgerflipping was his job before he turned to making review videos fulltime