Is it weird that I don't like Final Fantasy or other RPGs?

Meepo

Yes, it is very strange. You should go see a doctor, you might have a very bad disease.

No, it's actually very normal, there's nothing wrong with you.

Go see Doctor Mario

How many RPGs have you played? Could you cite them? Because, honestly, I also don't care about FF that much, but I'm hooked in some RPGs.

Go see Doctor Mario

How many RPGs have you played? Could you cite them? Because, honestly, I also don't care about FF that much, but I'm hooked in some RPGs.

Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the starry sky, FF in general.

So, not really that many

Edited by VenosaurusRex

I've just never found them that fun. Or maybe I just don't give them enough of a chance. I really don't know, I just don't really enjoy them.

Is that abnormal?

It depends on which FF's you've tried. 1 through 6 are great, but 1 through 3 are essentially NES games by design, and thus, can seem outdated. 4 through 6 are masterpieces. I recommend 6 to get into the series.

I can understand those feeling towards any of the 3D entries, although I love FF10. Sprite age better than 3D models. After X, I can understand anyone not like playing any of the other games in the series. X, on its own, might be a bit too linear for modern gamers, now that I think about it.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the starry sky, FF in general.

So, not really that many

I didn't like Sentinels of the Starry Sky as well. FF tires me after I complete 1/5 of the game because of the damn grinding.

What's the bad thing you see with RPGs? Is it the grinding? Is it the battle system? Is it that they're too long for you? If so, then you might like Chrono Trigger, which has little to no grinding and a Real Time Action system. Earthbound has a simple battle system, no grinding and a great plot/dialogue overall, and interacting with the world is more important than fighting enemies (think of Zelda, if you may).

Saying what you like in games would also help.

Edited by Rapier

I've just never found them that fun. Or maybe I just don't give them enough of a chance. I really don't know, I just don't really enjoy them.

Is that abnormal?

Yes

But really we can't all enjoy the same thing, I don't really like Mario and most gamers think that's the best thing that's ever been created.

Edited by mikan-tsumiki

If you've only played a couple FF games and one DQ game then I think the weird thing is that you've written the genre off based on such little experience with it. FF re-invents itself all the time so I'm not even sure what you disliked about the installments you played. The DQ game you played was pretty much one big love letter to the rest of the series, so it didn't make much sense to start there.

I didn't like Sentinels of the Starry Sky as well. FF tires me after I complete 1/5 of the game because of the damn grinding.

Err, not to be annoying or anything, but what FF game were you playing that required you to grind? FF games are among the most casual in the genre. There is absolutely no need to grind in any of them unless you're doing something completely optional like trying to get item drops or get way stronger than you need to be.

Err, not to be annoying or anything, but what FF game were you playing that required you to grind? FF games are among the most casual in the genre. There is absolutely no need to grind in any of them unless you're doing something completely optional like trying to get item drops or get way stronger than you need to be.

FF3 (I had a lot of fun with this one, though, and the class system is easy), FF4 (there are tricks to gaining a lot of levels quickly on the beginning, but other than this... the DS version is harder, so it's even more imperative), FF5 (though the biggest offense is knowing all about the class system and secrets or failing miserably against every boss), FF6 (has less grinding but more characters, my only issue with the game is hopping from a place to another very quickly and trying to guess where you're supposed to go), FF7 (I just found it dull, there isn't much grinding as far as I reached).

I admit there are worst offenders, such as Rogue Galaxy (love the gameplay and story, at least) and the DQ series, but I don't see how FF doesn't focus a lot on grinding.

If you've only played a couple FF games and one DQ game then I think the weird thing is that you've written the genre off based on such little experience with it. FF re-invents itself all the time so I'm not even sure what you disliked about the installments you played. The DQ game you played was pretty much one big love letter to the rest of the series, so it didn't make much sense to start there.

Your right, I don't have enough experience with the genre to make judgement. Could you suggest any games that would help me not be so stereotypical?

Your right, I don't have enough experience with the genre to make judgement. Could you suggest any games that would help me not be so stereotypical?

As I said before, saying what you like in games would help. Telling us what you disliked in those RPGs would also help.

No? I have a buddy who plays all the many flavors of all kinds of games and he can't get into FF or JPRGs in general.

Same here. RPGs in general are too long and involved for a friend of mine to get into.

OP, if it makes you feel any better, im a huge fan of JRPGs, but i really dislike the majority of the Final Fantasy games ive played. Im just...that series and i do not get along. I think FF7 and FF6 were the only ones i really enjoyed. (and parts of FF4)

despite their popularity, i think the final fantasy series is pretty difficult to get into. i'm a huge fan of the series, despite this i can shit on the series for days. there's lots of problems, its biggest being how unbelievably dull the main protagonists tend to be. dull characters can ruin a fantastic story.

Edited by Phoenix Wright