Which characters did you dislike in the game?

Because the unit you think is bad is one of the best in the game and you're giving, no offense, pretty bad examples to back up your claim.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far...

I agree completely. People get vicious when arguing on these kinds of threads.

Indeed. It's rude and completely unnecessary.

Characters I dislike: Sumia, Cynthia, Severa, Maribelle, Olivia, Virion, Vaike, Ricken, Brady, Gangrel. NPCs would include Phila, Validar, and Excellus.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it bazzare that people will claim that the characters are one dimensional when nearly all of them, if not all but I'd need to do more research, have at LEAST qualities of two dimensional characters, and more than enough to qualify for three dimensional, but I digress there are characters I do dislike.

Kellam: I feel his joke went on for to far and it prevents him from ever growing out of it/doing something about it

Sumia: I'd like her more, but the put too much emphasis on her klutziness, while not as bad as Kellam, does tend to crop up a little too often.

Cordelia: She's actually not a bad character in anyway, but I feel like for her introduction to be more effective, she needed to be introduced earlier along with her pegasus knight sisters/comrades

eeh and maybe a few more characters, but over all these guys aren't abominations

Ana and Malebolganone, I am getting quite tired of you two trying to justify Severa's behavior and the way she does quite harshly bully people like Cynthia and Owain. Severa's inferiority complex may be a REASON for why she becomes a bully, but it's never an excuse. NEVER an excuse. And I'm honestly getting this feeling that you two are only defending Severa because you like her.

People don't become bullies for the fun of it as a whole. They become bullies because they have insecurities that they have to take out on other people to make themselves feel better. So if you're really going to play the pity card for Severa, where is the sympathy for those bullies you met back in your youth in your schools? When you see someone who's being a bully, is your first thought "oh, they must be acting out because they had hardship in their lives" or do you think, "what a jerk, I hate bullies"? It's not fair to make excuses for Severa and Severa only, when in honesty people bully others for the same reasons she does. Even if Severa has a reason, it's not an excuse. Ever.

Also, because I never said so, the only playable characters I dislike in this game are Vaike, Tharja, and Nah.

I think a lot of people forget that you don't need to excuse a character's actions to like or sympathize with them. It's a common problem, really, see a good portion of a certain Norse god's fandom. Odin's beard.

Anyway I feel that Tharja could've been a much better-written character if her actions weren't played for laughs. She could've been an interesting grey character who sometimes does nice things but other times do really assy things and the assy things she does shouldn't be treated as humor material. I don't hate her, but I feel that she could've had a lot more potential. Goes for a lot of the cast really, but since she's a pretty controversial character...

Vaike annoyed me, though. As did Nah. And Severa. Severa x Kjelle C, though I know a lot of people found it funny, hit too many of my troubles and it didn't amuse me at all.

Ana and Malebolganone, I am getting quite tired of you two trying to justify Severa's behavior and the way she does quite harshly bully people like Cynthia and Owain. Severa's inferiority complex may be a REASON for why she becomes a bully, but it's never an excuse. NEVER an excuse. And I'm honestly getting this feeling that you two are only defending Severa because you like her.

People don't become bullies for the fun of it as a whole. They become bullies because they have insecurities that they have to take out on other people to make themselves feel better. So if you're really going to play the pity card for Severa, where is the sympathy for those bullies you met back in your youth in your schools? When you see someone who's being a bully, is your first thought "oh, they must be acting out because they had hardship in their lives" or do you think, "what a jerk, I hate bullies"? It's not fair to make excuses for Severa and Severa only, when in honesty people bully others for the same reasons she does. Even if Severa has a reason, it's not an excuse. Ever.

Also, because I never said so, the only playable characters I dislike in this game are Vaike, Tharja, and Nah.

Thank you. The issue with Severa aside from being a bully and annoying as fuck all, is that she never once makes me crack a smile other than her level up quote: "Im not grinning, this is my war snarl!" That was the only time i actually went "teehee." If a character doesnt amuse me or make me smile more than once, then they can have Nidhogg chomp on their domes. (seriously, the moment i came to love Cynthia is when she decided NOT to put up with Severa's crap!)

I think a lot of people forget that you don't need to excuse a character's actions to like or sympathize with them. It's a common problem, really, see a good portion of a certain Norse god's fandom. Odin's beard.

Anyway I feel that Tharja could've been a much better-written character if her actions weren't played for laughs. She could've been an interesting grey character who sometimes does nice things but other times do really assy things and the assy things she does shouldn't be treated as humor material. I don't hate her, but I feel that she could've had a lot more potential. Goes for a lot of the cast really, but since she's a pretty controversial character...

Vaike annoyed me, though. As did Nah. And Severa. Severa x Kjelle C, though I know a lot of people found it funny, hit too many of my troubles and it didn't amuse me at all.

Right. I like Tharja but do not excuse her shittier moments. Tharja did have some moments where her character could get interesting but it was very much a wasted opportunity and yes, that bugs me. Bolded, yeap. Kjelle should have punched her.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

I should elaborate on why I dislike certain characters.

Tharja: Her abuse of Noire just bugs me. I also hate how the game tries to pass it off as comedic.

Kellam: His gimmick of not existing is just bothersome. I usually either kill him off or don't recruit him.

Kjelle: I hate how she acts superior to everyone (aside from her parents) until they can prove themselves as equal to her in combat (from the supports I've read). I especially hated how in her support with Lucina she refers to most of the army as cannon fodder.

Playable Anna: I hate money grubbing characters who (in my opinion) have no redeeming qualities. However I do find the DLC Annas to be hiliarious.

Oh right, and now that I think about it I also dislike Cynthia to an extent, especially if Chrom is her father, as it makes her look like a complete idiot when she confuses some random bandit who doesn't even resemble Chrom for her father. I mean Sumia must have dropped her on her head a few times when she was little...

Edited by Kamina

Thank you. The issue with Severa aside from being a bully and annoying as fuck all, is that she never once makes me crack a smile other than her level up quote: "Im not grinning, this is my war snarl!" That was the only time i actually went "teehee." If a character doesnt amuse me or make me smile more than once, then they can have Nidhogg chomp on their domes. (seriously, the moment i came to love Cynthia is when she decided NOT to put up with Severa's crap!)

Please also note that the following might also be the fault of the localization when it comes to expressing the "tsundere" aspect.

Annie and I pretty much agreed, and this is just our opinion, but English Serena/Severa is just "frankly a bitch" when it came to expressing her "tsun" side.

A lot of the negative comments in her English dialogue aren't in there in Japanese.

But obviously not everyone's going to agree with that... you can say she's "a lot less harsh" in Japanese.

And the Japanese sentence patterns make it clear that her tone of voice wouldn't be "condescending" in the supports with the other children.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Please also note that the following might also be the fault of the localization when it comes to expressing the "tsundere" aspect.

Annie and I pretty much agreed, and this is just our opinion, but English Serena/Severa is just "frankly a bitch" when it came to expressing her "tsun" side.

A lot of the negative comments in her English dialogue aren't in there in Japanese.

But obviously not everyone's going to agree with that... you can say she's "a lot less harsh" in Japanese.

And the Japanese sentence patterns make it clear that her tone of voice wouldn't be "condescending" in the supports with the other children.

... Oh really...

Also, I third that opinion. That's exactly how she expresses her feelings in the localization.

Edited by Vashiane

Wow, what a crowd. ;/

The only character I absolutely can't stand is Severa. There's nothing adorable about being an entitled, immature, whiny pain in the ass. Runner-up is Nowi, for similar reasons (can't really comment on Nah, because I usually don't marry Nowi to anyone).

I dislike what the writers did to Tharja - her trope took over what looked to be an interesting character.

Tharja: Abusive and creepy.

Kellam: Is extremely bland, His gimmick is over used, and honestly, it's a bore training him.

Yarne: His gimmick is not funny. It's annoying. He uses such a lame excuse to not fight.

Ricken: Another typical little boy mage. Him following Chrom is just.. annoying.

Validar: Typical villian who uses dark magic. He's not even eerie. Just plain lame.

Excellus: Cringeworthy.

Nowi: Annoys me to no end.

Chrom: Generic blue haired lord.

Say'ri: So bland.

Wow, it seems like two thirds of this thread is just one big argument between two vocal members of this community. That was a pain to read through. I usually enjoy reading what you two have to say, but when you lock horns with each other, it's like listening to a quarreling couple. Just stop it already, or argue someplace where it doesn't bother us. Ana and shadow, you make some good points and sometimes not, but you are both 100% stubborn.

I feel like I could rant about you two...

Anyway, I used to have a strong dislike for a handful of characters, but over time I have begun to be mostly annoyed at them instead of outright hating them.

Here's the list:

Anna. She somehow manages to be complete scum, without actually being evil or "bad". That goes for her sisters in the DLC as well. Pretty much the only character I still hate.

Nah. She seems reasonable at first, but then it becomes apparent that she is some sort of Maribelle and Severa hybrid.

Tharja. She has her good moments, but her bad moments are much absolutely horrible.

Validar. He's boring and cliched.

Inigo. He's Virion, but with even less respect for woman.

Yarne. Everything about him bugs me.

Edited by Slyfox

Wow, what a crowd. ;/

The only character I absolutely can't stand is Severa. There's nothing adorable about being an entitled, immature, whiny pain in the ass. Runner-up is Nowi, for similar reasons (can't really comment on Nah, because I usually don't marry Nowi to anyone).

You can say that again.

Nowi may do the whole "give me my way or I'll cry" thing a bit often, but in her Nah support she's actually a lot more mature and aware of others than she seems. Unfortunately Nah is a potentially more abusive wife than Tharja (see Nah x Inigo), so it's probably for the best that you haven't seen much of her.

I personally don't like Severa because she takes herself too seriously.

And I don't like Tharja.......fans. Certain fans. Because the way they see her as nothing more than a sex object.

Edited by Cal the Tactician

I like Nah.

:(:

Well, she is the kind of person who really, really needs a hug, and some of her Scramble supports are nice. If she wouldn't be so hard on people who care about her, she would be a very nice character. But the way she treats her father, especially when he's Gaius...

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Remember what I said about reasons do not equal excuses? Yeah. I can see why Nah is the way she is. I do not, however, believe that it justifies the way she treats some of her romantic supports (Inigo, Laurent, Gerome) or how she was acting bratty towards her parents.

I find it bazzare that people will claim that the characters are one dimensional when nearly all of them, if not all but I'd need to do more research, have at LEAST qualities of two dimensional characters, and more than enough to qualify for three dimensional, but I digress there are characters I do dislike.

You're talking about the graphics, right? :P

Without starting a debate about the number of dimensions of each character, what people are getting at is that the characters are shallow. Compare the characters in this game to those in any well-written book. It's a world of difference. It's not a bad thing. It's just the nature of the beast.

What really surprises me is the number of people liking and disliking characters based on their morals. Tharja is a nasty piece of work and if she really existed, I would hope never to have the misfortune of meeting her. But it's a game and I find her entertaining. Finding a character irritating is one thing but to refuse to be entertained because of misplaced morals seems a shame.

Wow I never noticed this...

Morgan

Hmm... I wonder why I have no memory of my mother... All my memories of Father are so crisp and clear... I remember what an amazing tactician he was, all the time we studied together... But nothing at all about my mother. It's one big blank.

Tharja

What are you doing?

[マーク]

うーん、どうして私は母さんのこと

覚えてないんでしょう…?▼

父さんのことはあんなにちゃんと

覚えてるのに…▼

父さんが立派な軍師だったってことも

一緒に勉強したことも覚えてるのに…▼

なーんで母さんのことは

きれいさっぱり忘れてしまったのか…▼

[サーリャ]

通行の邪魔よ…マーク。▼

"You're in my way, Marc."

Mother of the year, folks.

Not mean, mean... but still...

Edited by shadowofchaos

I actually have gripes with most of the cast. Whilst they all have a lot of conversations to flesh out their characters, many of them rely on one gimmick trait - which is a little too anime-ish for my liking.

Kellam and Stahl's invisible and average things are probably the tamest of these, but they come up enough to labour the point a little. Whilst Sumia is objectively a good unit, it's ridiculous how clumsy she is, to the point where you wonder why they even let her fight. Tharja would have been an interesting character, although poor writing kinda hampered that. Severa's in a similar boat, she's a good concept executed poorly (well in the English version anyway). I find the likes of Virion and Sully rather well written as their defining traits aren't quite as forced as other characters.

In short, most characters have fairly decent concepts, but the writing's meant that a lot of them appear very shallow or one dimensional.

Characters I dislike: Sumia, Cynthia, Severa, Maribelle, Olivia, Virion, Vaike, Ricken, Brady, Gangrel. NPCs would include Phila, Validar, and Excellus.

Oh yeah, I forgot to give Phila anti-props. What happened to her could've had some kind of impact on me as a player IF they'd...

1) Developed her as a competent character so I actually liked her to start with

2) Killed her off in a way that wasn't just meh

3) Showed anyone actually mourning her or conveyed that her life had an impact. A couple of throwaway references in Cordelia supports didn't do the job, no.

She's set up to be some kind of beloved mentor figure and then handled like a redshirt extra.