Beneath the Shadows Chapter Three: Enigmas

scorri

Ingrid started when she heard the voice behind her, almost spilling the drink. She turned around to see a dwarf sitting near her. For a moment, she wondered if he was talking to himself, but he was looking straight at her. "Yes, I suppose it is." She turned her attention back to her mount. It won't be for much longer. But that's not important right now.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deciding that he'd had enough relaxation for the time being, and it didn't seem like it'd quiet for a while, Ernce stood up and streched. "I'll tag along with those going to get the cart and mounts. Can't have too many helpers in this case, right?" That and I'm looking to get a mount for myself. I can't just ask Zeke for rides whenever I don't feel like walking. Besides, being our only other flier right now -that I'm aware of- he'll probably get sent to scout if something happens to Toqua.

Sayina stood up and stretched. "Right. Lets go then, I suppose. Toqua?" He looked at the half-dwarf who was still sitting down. Muttering, the man stood up, "Don't see why both of us need ta go. Could just be one of us and I could just sit here enjoyin mah beer. But no. Need ta take the young uns out on a walk." Sayina lightly smacked him on the back of the head and then turned to the rest of the group. "Right. Lets go." Heading out the door, he didn't both to look back, assuming the others would follow him. Toqua followed behind, still muttering. Rayil, after a small moment of hesitation, decided to remain behind and help with the hunting party.

Once the first group had left, Adari looked critically at the group she had left. "Well, I suppose it could be worse..." She sighed, then added, "Right, follow me and do yer best ta not make any noise, ok?" Exiting the inn, she almost ran into Hale, who had made his way back into the inn. "Oh, here ya are. If yer interested, Xane's up in room 3 with some sorta meeting goin on. They've got some sorta way ta contact tha elf queen and he said if yer interested ya should head up."

Meanwhile, up in room 3, Xane nodded to Edom. With a slight furrowing of his brows, Edom tapped the center of the shimmering oval three times and then took a step back. The silver quickly faded away and revealed a slim, forest green haired girl staring back at them with golden eyes.

"Father! You met up with Alexander? Is he ok? How are things back in Antar? I haven't been able to get any news but I've been doing my best to--" She cut off as Edom raised a hand. "My daughter, you ask questions but leave me no chance to answer. Alexander is right here. Antar has fallen almost completely but he has escaped and is working with a mercenary band for now. But he would like to speak to the queen about official business. Is she around?"

The girl nodded. Gesturing to a nearby elf attendant, she turned back to her oval, which was an exact replica of Edom's except slightly smaller. "She will be here shortly. For now... may I say hi to Alexander?" Edom merely stepped back, allowing Xane to take his spot. "Hello Kaia. It's good to see you're doing well. I assume that my ring got you in with no problems?"

"Yes, everything went fine. Well... me getting in went fine. Other things... well the queen will tell you."

Xane frowned slightly but nodded. "Very well. And if I may, these are two of my companions, Linn and Chandra. Linn, Chandra, this is Kaia. She is a dear childhood friend."

Wow, that's some fantastic magic... I'll have to get him to explain it to me sometime. Now was certainly not the time, the one that had been called Kaia appearing and launching a plethora of questions towards her father and the group. Guess I'm not the only one who's worried. That alone let Linn calm herself further, poking her head into view as Alex stepped up to talk. "Ah... Hello, Kaia. You said my mother'd be around shortly, so I guess I'll wait next to him. How is the forest, anyway?" Maybe she can tell me something regarding what's happening.

... Sometime later, Hale found himself heading towards the inn, having lost interest in his surroundings for the time being. He hadn't been paying attention, and as he was going inside, he had almost collided with Adari, who was on her way out. Instead of being angry, however, the Harriers' second in command told the light mage about a meeting that was going on in room 3. It apparently involved Xane and the elven queen, which was interesting enough. What was more interesting, however, was that he was invited to this meeting, despite having just met the fellow.

"I see," Hale said, as he made up his mind "Alright, then, I'll go sit in on it. Thanks."

And with that said, the man entered the inn, made his way up to room three, and knocked on the door.

"Come on in," came the younger half-elf's voice. That meant this was the right room, then. The light mage quietly entered, closing the door behind him.

Chandra watched as Edom skyped activated the mirror he summoned earlier to call someone on the other end. That person happened to be his daughter Kaia. She seemed concerned for Xane and the country Antar. Judging from her tone, not everything was well in Silverstar. The plot was slowly thickening.

Chandra didn’t have anything to add at the time, so she simply waved back at Kaia after introductions. Soon after, Hale entered the room. Their last meeting wasn't exactly pleasant, so she greeted him with a simple nod and didn't elaborate further.

Nodding to Hale, Xane waited anxiously for a minute or two before the queen stepped into view. Glancing nervously at Linn, Xane bowed slightly to the queen. "Your majesty. Edom and Kaia have been kind enough to use their magic to allow us to talk. I understand that there may be a few hangups on the alliance I sent Kaia to discuss with you, but first, and more importantly, I must introduce you to some of my companions and bring you up to speed on what is happening here in Antar. First, my companions. This is Chandra, a member of of Harrop's Harriers, the mercenary group that I have connected with for now. They have agreed to work with me for now, pending the arrival of an actual army, made up of Antar soldiers who escaped and any troops that our allies grant us. After that they will be free to stay or go as their boss chooses. Next is Hale... a mage of unexpected skill that we met in our travels. He was one of a small group who infiltrated a fortress to rescue me while the rest of the Harriers distracted the Senians who had captured me..." Ignoring Kaia's gasp at this announcement, he continued on, "... And finally, we have... your daughter."

The queen's eyebrows snapped down at this announcement and her voice was frosty as she spoke, "Chandra. Hale. Greetings. Severine... Come here so I can see you. Now."

While this was going on, Edom was staring intently at Hale. When he managed to catch the mage's eye, he opened his mouth to start to say something, but was cut off by a small, quick gesture from the mage. With a slight frown, the man nodded and went back to focusing on his spell.

Meanwhile in the woods, Adari and Malachi stalked quietly through the woods. Adari had an arrow resting lightly on her strung bow, ready to draw if needed. Rayil and the others were searching for various edible plants and berries. With a quiet cry of delight, Rayil stumbled across a patch of ripe blueberries. "Quick, over here! These will be perfect."

Sayina and Toqua led the group to the nearby horse pens. Sayina smiled at those around him. "Right. Feel free to look around. If you find a mount that you would like, come talk to me. We have some money spent aside to help buy mounts, so there is no need for you to spend all of your pay on it yourself. Mounts are always useful for a mercenary group after all."

Edited by scorri

Well, there's mother. This won't be so bad. Despite telling herself this, she could feel her heart rate increasing as Alex spoke, hoping that he'd stop so her mother could unleash whatever was waiting for her already. What was only a few months felt like an hour for her, Alex finally introducing her presence. Her mother's reaction was less than pleasing. Moving clearly into view of this portal like device, she bore her eyes to the ground and cleared her throat, taking a moment to start talking. "...H...Hello, mother. How are you?" came the sheepish voice of Linn.

Rimsky was given a short reply from the soldier and once again treated to an awkward silence. I might have to make things more blunt... but I'll give this some more time.

" So, were you assigned patrol duty for this village? Or has the fighting stopped for the time-being?" asked Rimsky, wondering if he'd get a satisfactory response.

Ingrid looked over her shoulder, nonplussed. "There's a patrol here? They still have able men loitering around this far from the front? Then it is no wonder the invasion has gone this way." She was somewhat surprised at the bitterness in her voice; she had resolved to head back home without thinking about it, but the need to vent, even a stranger, was strong. Ingrid flipped the helmet upside down, letting the last few dregs of water fall to the ground, before turning and facing the man. "I don't know what you citizens have been told, but the fighting will not stop until the complete subjugation of Antar has been achieved. If I were you, I would cross the border; they will eventually reach here, and it will not be a pleasant experience."

"But if that's the case, why are you here... I should introduce myself. The name's Rimsky, an Antarian mercenary who just came back home to see how things are goin'... what about you? I had hopes of doing somethin' about this but...things sound hopeless." Rimsky replied, trying to draw out more information from the soldier.

"Ever since the initial attack, we've been forced back all the time. They just have too many numbers. Beyond that, the royal family as well as many of our commanders and supplies were captured at the capital; we would be unable to put up much resistance even if we had equal manpower. And that's not even the worst of it. There are..." Ingrid hesitated, then shook her head. "Never mind that. You're a mercenary, right? You might be able to get some work for the Senians. You had better be quick about it, though."

"I believe there are all sorts of ways of life in this world." Aeson replied, sipping from his own drink. "We all walk different paths to the same place, our sense guiding us along unique routes. In turn those routes offer their own input to the life. It's a unique journey for each and every one of us." It had been a long time since he'd discussed the mysteries of the universe with another individual. Linn was a wonderful companion, but he often felt that too much discussion would tire the poor girl. Cassandra seemed to be an interesting individual, one which much to impart to the salad bowl that was his own noggin.

"Do you have time on your hands, soldier? I might have someone else in the village who wants to speak to you. The company I'm looking for is still unsure of their decision and they've been wanting to here things from the likes of soldier already facing the battle." Rimsky asked, slightly grinning upon hearing the soldier's story. Perfect, this was the gold mine he was looking for! Perhaps the soldier would be convinced to talk more upon meeting the Prince himself! He had to draw out all information, from the looks of it, the company would have to make a run.

And his brother might have fallen prey to the invasion already. Rimsky shuddered at that thought.

"If everyone walked the same path along life, then likewise, we would all be the same... there would be no people, only humans, slinking along with the rest of the pack like wild dogs... something like that, right?" Cassandra replied, as she finished her first drink, and waived someone down for another, turning back to Aeson as she waited.

"I'm all for originality in people, but that too, causes problems. The walk of life that leads to a psychotic killer, for instance... someone who maims and ruins his or her fellow man for naught but the pleasure gained from watching them writhe, only then to end them when the grow bored... those such paths get mixed in, as well." Cassandra continued with a sigh.

Not quite sure of what would be the best plan of action for hunting... Elysia had never done it herself, having always had a hunter within the entourage she travelled with, but it couldn't be a bad skill to pick up, on it's own... the question that arose however, was a bit of a roadblock.

"So... what am I supposed to do...? I don't even know where to start, as far as hunting is concerned..." The ice mage noted, to no one in particular... it seemed most of the larger segment of the group was foraging, regardless.

"That is true, many paths do lead down rather unpleasant routes. Those who choose to harm others, those who lose all they have to something outside of their control. However, I believe the Lord above loves all his children, and hopes they enter his arms, shedding the wrongs they have done in this world. But to pass forgiveness on those who do not truly seek it may not be an actuality. One cannot be forgiven for an act they do not consider wrong." he replied. Aeson looked down at his down drink, he hadn't quite matched Cassandra's pace.

"Whilst there are many things in the world that we do not desire, there cannot be right without wrong, In my travels I have seen much that I found rather troublesome. One must embrace the fact these exist, doing the best to remedy the problems, even if it is but a single person who is aided."

Ingrid would have declined, but on reflection, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have a walk. It wasn't like half an hour would make much of a difference to her. "Why not? Lead on, then."

"That's true, I suppose... even if we were to place forgiveness upon them, they would discard it as though it were nothing... for them it truly is just that." Cassandra replied, swirling her drink around as she was brought her second round.

"It is as you say... we must simply right that which we can, and aid those who would be aided... while there may be no right without wrong, if left unchecked, that which is wrong will consume that which is right... such is the malevolent truth of humans abroad."

Rimsky took Ingrid back to the inn where the Harriers stayed, not trying to figure out where Raelyn had run off to, figuring she'd find her way back in any case when she finished whatever she wanted to do.

"So this is the inn where the company I'm working for stays in. There are quite a few people who want to know about the situation of this war... you'll be gettin' quite the surprise at what you'll be asked, I bet." Rimsky told Ingrid as he knocked at the door of where he assumed the Prince and the Boss to be in.

Edited by Bluedoom

Just then, a knock came at the door. "Right, well, I'll let the two of you talk some. I'm going to check who's at the door." Alex smiled encouragingly at Linn before heading to the door. Opening it slightly, he saw one of the mercenaries and an unfamiliar face... who was wearing an Antar uniform. "I... Rimsky, right? And you... you must be one of the soldiers who's escaped. Please, come in, quickly." Shooing them in, Alexander turned and faced them. "Right, first off, Rimsky, you need to be more careful. You can't just bring anyone to see me. But... Soldier. Name and rank and last position held." He paused. He thought he recognized her from guarding the door to the throne room a day or two before the capital fell but he wanted to check to make sure that he wasn't just hoping.

Meanwhile, the queen was staring coldly at her daughter. "So. My daughter. Not only have you managed to leave my guards behind, go without any warning, send no messages home telling me you are alright, but you also manage to get mixed up in what is looking to be one of the biggest conflicts in my life time. Do you have any idea how worried I have been and how many elves have been looking for you? Please. Explain yourself. Now."

Adari scowled slightly as Elysia started asking questions. "Either stay quiet and hit whatever good sized animal ya see with yer ice magic, or go collect berries. If ya want ta help with tha huntin, freezein 'em in place is tha most helpful."

Sayina spotted a lone pegasus tied to one of the fences of the horse market. Walking over to the beautiful creature, he gently reached out a hand to stroke the beast's mottled black and white feathers. Turning to Toqua, he made a gesture towards the pegasus. With a sigh, Toqua nodded, and then gestured towards a cart horse he had found. Nodding, Sayina announced to those who had come with him. "Right, we've found what we need, if any of you have found a mount you want, come talk to me now."

The door opened, and a man who looked like the prince of Antar opened the door. Before Ingird could react, he beckoned them in; taken aback, she automatically followed them. As she did, her mind raced. A Senian trap? Impossible, what purpose would it serve? But none of them could possibly have escaped... this must be a double. Whatever it is, I had better play along. Realising the man was now staring at her, awaiting an answer, she stammered "Uh... Camin. Sargeant, seventh division. We were stationed at the capital when the attack commenced."

Once they had arrived at the pens Ernce had immediately begun searching for what probably wasn't there: a wyvern. Despite the fact that expecting a random town, not a city but a town, in Antar to have a wyvern for sale was more than optimistic at best, Ernce was determined to find said beast. And find one he did, surprisingly easily at that, sitting in a large cage that gave the creature plenty of room. To say Ernce was surprised was an understatement, but he wouldn't let it slow him down as he figured it was the only wyvern there and he was certain that at least some of the other mercs were eyeing it. "Hey, Toqua. I found my mount," Ernce said as he pointed at the caged wyvern.

Celine watched people go in and out of the inn. She was perfectly content to stay put and enjoy the food.

---

Raelyn quietly tailed Rimsky and the new person back to the inn. She was surprised that the pair didn't notice her, even as she slipped into the inn and up the stairs. Wonder what business those two have with the prince? she thought to herself. This is probably where I should take my leave. She slipped back downstairs, and wandered outside. She caught sight of someone familiar, pointing to. . .a wyvern?! Oh, this will be good. She took to the shadows again, intent on the new development.

Linn almost made an attempt to stop Alex from walking away as she wasn't sure she could handle this anymore, but she stopped herself halfway through moving her arm looking back at her mother. She was not pleased, and it was quite painful to see. "I... I just... There's no excuse I can give that wouldn't be selfish, but I wanted to see the rest of the world. I was always stuck in some room or behind some guards, a-and all I had were books and the occasional servant to speak to. I never wanted that. I wanted a normal life, being able to speak to everyone, see the rest of the world beyond the woods; and I got to do that... I mean, I may have almost died a few times, but, it was a wonderful experience on the whole." Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that part. "But that... Th-that doesn't matter. I should've sent something, or tried to let you know I was alright, in some way. So, even as worthless as it might be, I'm sorry..."

"Right, understood." Elysia replied, Adari's tone not conveying much aside from 'Fuck off already', leaving the ice mage a tad distraught. Regardless, Elysia knelt down low to the ground, and began to attempt to make out any woodland game nearby.