Searching for a Miracle: Unraveling the Mystery of FE1's Miracle Sword

SRC

As the many of you FE1 fanatics out there know, FE1's Miracle Sword was different than the one of future generations. Not only was it exclusive to Marth, but it was also one of the most lightweight weapons in the game at 1 (2nd only to the Fire Tome at 0) and also has the mysterious effect that "increases growth rates" for our favorite lord. What this means seems to still be up in the air. However, it's also not particularly useful, because Marth will often be level 20 before the Miracle Sword even appears. Still, it bothered me enough to give Marth a chapter 1 Miracle Sword and run a few trials.

So, I happened to be looking at Serenes' page on Marth's level up patterns in FE1. Basically, because FE1's RNG follows an extremely predictable pattern on level ups, there are only about 14 different stat gain combinations of varying frequencies. To find the Miracle Sword's effect on growths, I gave Marth a trial of 20 MiracleSword!level ups and compared them to their Vanilla!level up counterparts (found here):

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Level_Up_Patterns_%28FE1-3%29/Marth_%28FE1%29

Also, be sure to take a peek at its parent page if you're curious to see how level up patterns for FE1-3 work:

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Level_Up_Patterns_%28FE1-3%29

+spd +luk +HP 2

+spd +luk +HP 2

+spd +HP 3

+str +skl +wlv +luk +hp 7

+2 skl +2 wlv +luk +hp 9!

+str +2 skl +luk +def 10!

+2 str +luk +def 11!

+2 str +spd +luk +hp 5!

+spd +luk +HP 2

+spd +HP 3

+str +skl +luk +HP 1

+wlv +spd +HP 4

+skl +2 wlv +HP 6!

+2 spd +2 luk +HP 2!

+str +skl +luk +def 10

+str +skl +2 luk 14!

+str +2 skl +luk +HP 1!

+2 spd +HP 3!

+wlv +spd +HP 4

+wlv +spd +HP 4

Each of these level ups matches up perfectly with Marth's level up patterns. (The numbers following the level ups correspond to a level up pattern to the site: 1 for the most likely pattern and 14 for least likely.) The difference is seen with the level ups marked with an "!". It seems for every time Marth proc's a stat while holding a miracle sword, there is a chance that he gains 2 of that stat instead of 1. Seeing as Marth got +2 skill three times (30% growth) and didn't get +2 HP (90% growth) once during this trial, the chance of a stat getting +2 after it proc's is likely the same across the board. With a total of 11 +2 gains out of 70 total stat gains, that chance is probably about 10-20% per stat proc. I will need more trials for an exact figure, but it's clear that the chance is not high enough to make much of a difference except over the long run. It's certainly not great compared to the FE2 Angel Ring's ability to double ALL stat gains and the FE3 Star Orb's bonus +30% universal stat growth to its holder.

tl;dr - Rather useful weapon gives rather underwhelming chance for each stat gain to count as +2 instead of +1 in the rather small chance that Marth even has any levels left to gain.

Interesting... does this mean the ingame description is gliched? Silly programmers!

The game lacked item descriptions (and a lot of other things too!). The item description was taken from Serenes which was taken from ChinaFE which was probably taken from some strategy guide or something.

Quite the interesting find. I did want the miracle sword to retain its power in the DS remakes but alas!

Also the thread title sounds kinda like an anime episode title.

Are you sure it just doesn't roll for the stat twice? Kind of like Blossom in FE9?

EDIT Nevermind, I misread you.

Edited by Refa

What I'd really like to know is why it was exclusive to Marth in the first place.

Maybe it was originally meant to be the Falchion but then they changed their mind and never changed the code.