• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

*ahem* Time for a little, talk, about a game that I'm posting here because I don't think it's quite worth a thread.

So I'm checking the 3DS eshop and I see this game called Stella Glow. Apparently it's a SRPG made by Atlus, so I download the demo and well...

Now at the time of typing this I haven't finished it and I don't know how long this demo goes on. Anyway the demo opens up with a cryptic cutscene that leads into a backstory on the world, about how their god got upset and sent his angels to attack the people of the world, until a hero stood up and stopped it. It's not explained how exactly he did it, maybe he convinced him to stop or maybe he defeated him or something, but for the backstory we have god as the bad guy so I think that's worth a JRPG Cliche Count: 1. Anyway the game then goes into the intro level and introduces the two main leads, Alto and Lisette, who are kinda sorta siblings but not really, I'll touch on that later. Anyway the art style is basic uninspired anime. I was tempted to add to the counter but I decided against it.

The first thing I noticed when gameplay starts is this:

rd1uvt9.jpg

Now, does the font and overall look of that status screen seem at all familiar to anyone? Almost as if they were assets that Atlus just borrowed from their Etrian Odyssey series?EDIT: you can ignore blatantly wrong and hasty judgements on this one, I usually try to avoid misinformation like this but I guess I got ahead of myself

Anyway the gameplay is your basic FF Tactics/ Tactics Ogre deal, isometric grid, getting attacked from behind matters, ect, characters have specific skills and skill points. Nothing fixed because there was nothing broken I suppose, assuming the maps are well made and interesting throughout the game this works just fine. The cutscene after the tutorial reveals some things. Alto has amnesia JRPG Cliche Count: 2, and he has a necklace that's the only clue to his past JRPG Cliche Count: 3(I'm putting necklace/pendant in the same category here). I closed my 3DS and didn't continue playing until a little while later. Lisette and her mother adopted him into their family 3 years before iirc. The second map isn't anything special, but a new character is introduced, a witch named Hilda. She is an NPC during the map, is level 30, and basically just there to show Alto/the player how much better she and her magic is at OHKOing early game mooks. Hilda has the special power of, singing, that only witches have, clearly knows what's going on with the story whereas the protagonist/player are clueless at the moment, and gives a cryptic unexplained warning- JRPG Cliche Count: 4- to leave the village. Did she expect Alto to just up and leave because she said he should without actually explaining anything?

It's after this level that the plot starts, some stuff happens Alto wants to go investigate Lisette's mother says no and he tries to sneak out later that night but Lisette stops him. Now up until this point the relationship between Alto and his "family" was clear enough, in that they are family. Alto and Lisette are essentially siblings, Lisette's mom is essentially Alto's mom, that's how the characters explain things in dialogue(not in those exact words, but that's the point that comes across). I bring this up because the next scene just... feels weird here. I'm not going to go into explaining what happens but it was eyebrow-raising for me. Perhaps I'm not taking from this what was intended, it's still early game and a demo at that, but still. I've just started the third map, not too much to mention aside from one of the bad guys(who I swear looks straight out of a Tales game) referring to the main heroes as, "scrubs". I'm serious.

So that's when I started typing this.

Edited by DavidSW

I play Etrian Odyssey a lot. How is the font even similar.

David, what even. And are you really complaining about cliches in this day and age where everything has been done already?

I play Etrian Odyssey a lot. How is the font even similar.

David, what even. And are you really complaining about cliches in this day and age where everything has been done already?

The numbers seemed similar but yeah that was too hasty of a judgement.

It's not about the fact that ideas have been done before, it's about execution.

It's an Atlus game so it's clearly full of waifu trash

Your waifu is trash

Hey Frosty !

How are you ?

Didn't read the whole post yet.

I think it's the same team who did the Luminous Arc 2, so I don't know what you were expecting...

Then, I spent more than 100 hours (and still have 100 more to go through...) in Dungeon Travelers 2, so I think I definitely abandoned any thoughts about story or characters integrity.

Hey Frosty !

How are you ?

Fine, thanks

Played Etrian Odyssey IV a very bit.

It ended like most other videogames I've started: Landed on the bench.

Seriously the first boss kicked my ass so hard that I gave up.

it's an EO game, that's par for the course

if you're getting your ass kicked in an atlus game

it's ok

that's normal

In a Dungeon Crawling RPGs in general.

But what is the interest of victory if the path isn't paved with your tears, blood and sweat ?

In a Dungeon Crawling RPGs in general.

But what is the interest of victory if the path isn't paved with your tears, blood and sweat ?

that sure is a new way to look at it

gotta work for your goals?

i can dig it

Played Etrian Odyssey IV a very bit.

It ended like most other videogames I've started: Landed on the bench.

Seriously the first boss kicked my ass so hard that I gave up.

Jewels, that's the point you either grind a few levels to get more skill points, or to rework your skills. Berserker King is pretty straightforward as a boss.