Hello, Hi, Hey: I'm $$$ richh

Ah yeah it can be lengthy, but it's all about getting you to care about the world I guess? Like, (I'm making this up): instead of someone dying or a town being destroyed you'll hopefully grow attached to the people or the place before anything of major consequence happens to it! Cold Steel in particular is about them trying to find their place in the world.

Just their method of storytelling throughout the series.

Oh I do understand the approach they've taken to tell the story. As I've been playing it, I almost immediately started comparing it to Tales of Xilia...the storytelling has a lot of similiarities, but with Xilia, the game had you moving and acting more, so at least the flow of the game felt more constant. With Trails I feel it takes longer to get you acting, but I do understand more of the actual game happens when the characters talk rather than when you play...which brings me to another point: I'm here to play. Don't just tell me everything about the story; let me experience it, or at least, let me be more of an actor in the play. Otherwise it feels too much like some of the anime I've seen, and I watch plenty of it.

But I do enjoy watching some of these characters, and the combat system isn't bad either. Some of the regular characters have interesting stories going on that I would actually like to know more about, too. I do have the second game waiting on my stack of games, so there's that too.

This actually says a lot. My condolences.

Though, what does "nice" mean, exactly?

Ah, don't worry. You never know when you'll find something good, so I'll still blindly go watch stuff just to see if it'll surprise me, this is just one of the possible outcomes.

By "nice" I mean villians that should be more evil, or actually, just smarter or using common sense, rather than kindly offering to explain to the main characters what's going on the world and why they need to fight, instead of, for example, making use of every situation to your advantage because guess what? It's a battle to the death, so it's not the place to be having that sort of conversation. Again, too much exposition, or at the very least, done the wrong way.

how come? stopping at Xillia 2 you mean

gotta get that exposition ya know?

Idk. I just did. I think it was around the time I got FF Zero, so I changed my focus to that, and there was Fates, too.

Don't you love it when the game makes you read it's in-game books for a test?

Edited by ___

• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

Oh I do understand the approach they've taken to tell the story. As I've been playing it, I almost immediately started comparing it to Tales of Xilia...the storytelling has a lot of similiarities, but with Xilia, the game had you moving and acting more, so at least the flow of the game felt more constant. With Trails I feel it takes longer to get you acting, but I do understand more of the actual game happens when the characters talk rather than when you play...which brings me to another point: I'm here to play. Don't just tell me everything about the story; let me experience it, or at least, let me be more of an actor in the play. Otherwise it feels too much like some of the anime I've seen, and I watch plenty of it.

But I do enjoy watching some of these characters, and the combat system isn't bad either. Some of the regular characters have interesting stories going on that I would actually like to know more about, too. I do have the second game waiting on my stack of games, so there's that too.

Ah yeah, when I first tried Trails in the Sky I was super disenchanted with alllllllll the dialogue. It just clicked for me at one point really. It definitely took a long time before it hit me, and then it definitely hits like a train at least in my opinion.

Trails is a bit weird in the sense that it's not shy about telling you you're not an actor yet. I thought that was pretty cool, kinda hammered into me that my group really is just high schoolers and not the chosen ones or anything, but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll shut up.

I hope you like it though! I think that part of the playing is just talking to people outside of the main plot, because even NPCs have their character arcs. If you stick to some of the student NPCs and try to talk to them daily you'll find they're living their own lives down to amazing detail compared to other RPGs. It's a pretty quaint thing but it really shocked me.

Idk. I just did. I think it was around the time I got FF Zero, so I changed my focus to that, and there was Fates, too.

how you liking type 0?

*flashbacks to FFXIII*

>~>

guess it was from Zestiria ,but i can feel that

maybe suggest beating Xillia 2 first? should be far enough in were a single binge could beat it

That was the plan, one of these days.

ever know that feel that you might be tackling more than you can handle

the bucket's starting to overflow a bit

?

Ah, don't worry. You never know when you'll find something good, so I'll still blindly go watch stuff just to see if it'll surprise me, this is just one of the possible outcomes.

By "nice" I mean villians that should be more evil, or actually, just smarter or using common sense, rather than kindly offering to explain to the main characters what's going on the world and why they need to fight, instead of, for example, making use of every situation to your advantage because guess what? It's a battle to the death, so it's not the place to be having that sort of conversation. Again, too much exposition, or at the very least, done the wrong way.

Heh, I'll hold my breath for you.

Oh yeah. That. It's bad, but I guess it depends on why it's done for me... sometimes

Seems like fun.

ah...I just realized i made mistake with something...

Ah yeah, when I first tried Trails in the Sky I was super disenchanted with alllllllll the dialogue. It just clicked for me at one point really. It definitely took a long time before it hit me, and then it definitely hits like a train at least in my opinion.

Trails is a bit weird in the sense that it's not shy about telling you you're not an actor yet. I thought that was pretty cool, kinda hammered into me that my group really is just high schoolers and not the chosen ones or anything, but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll shut up.

I hope you like it though! I think that part of the playing is just talking to people outside of the main plot, because even NPCs have their character arcs. If you stick to some of the student NPCs and try to talk to them daily you'll find they're living their own lives down to amazing detail compared to other RPGs. It's a pretty quaint thing but it really shocked me.

You bring up some good points; the story never does feels like the world moves around these kids, which is nice for a change. And the NPCs are a lot of fun. The little arcs they have going on is one of the biggest charms of this game to me. I really enjoy reading what they're up, makes me wish some of them where playable on the party, which isn't possible..

> Flashbacks to FF13

Lol I had the same flashbacks

wanna know what a l'cie is?

wanna know about the world and why sazh has a chocobo in his hair?

Tough luck, read about it in the menu's

how you liking type 0?

*flashbacks to FFXIII*

>~>

I haven't touched type 0 for a few months now.....

I don't currently have access to a ps4, so it'll have to wait.

However, I loved what little I did get to see of it. Sadly, I got spoiled on the ending from reading comments on youtube about it.

> Flashbacks to FF13

Lol I had the same flashbacks

curious, what happened in FF13? I've played the first one, but I don't remember a thing about having to that then.

Cool

i got three games to juggle now with a fourth on the way to play

all four jrpgs that can be quite lengthy

whew boy

I have...way too many games uncompleted. I know what you mean.

wanna know what a l'cie is?

wanna know about the world and why sazh has a chocobo in his hair?

Tough luck, read about it in the menu's

I did that and I was okay with it

curious, what happened in FF13? I've played the first one, but I don't remember a thing about having to that then.

Essentially learning the entire plot through the game's library.

Normally not a problem, because I enjoy reading the lore and backstory and so on, but you had to learn the entire plot through it, while the main story was just... ???