• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

Smoked my plans.
Still play the chapter of the hack.

Will play Zestiria with other people on Skype later.

oh yeah him

you made it to 4x?

Fin to win, man!

FE5 characters to win.

I love using everyone except for Lifis and Eyvel.

But they lost their skills... and Nanna her talent using swords.

@the level ups part

Haha :)

You play Tales as well?

To an extent; I'm not terribly invested (or good for that matter) at the series but I have completed Symphonia, Abyss, Xillia, and oddly enough Innocence. Also have Xillia 2 and DotNW, but I don't intend on finishing the latter because eww.

[spoiler=Stuff]A bunch of people at my work have been resigning and moving to other jobs. This led to a discussion with another coworker about careers, and ended up reminding me that I've been living on autopilot for most of my life and have no idea what I want to do with myself.

I usually just distract myself with games, tv, and whatever. But whenever I see my family and the subject of "what do you want to do with your life" comes up, I get angry and evasive. Because I don't have an answer, even though by now I feel like I should. I'm graduating in less than a year, for pete's sake.

I feel like I don't even know what interests me. Like, I enjoy reading about history, I think. But would I enjoy being a historian or w/e? Seems like it'd involve a lot of writing and papers, and I don't like that. Or do I? Is it just that the topics I've written about in school that make me dislike writing? I thought I'd hate my tech writing class, but it actually was my favorite class last semester. So is it all up to subject matter?

I could go on, but I think I've made my point clear. Sorry if I brought anyone's mood down.

[spoiler=Stuff]A bunch of people at my work have been resigning and moving to other jobs. This led to a discussion with another coworker about careers, and ended up reminding me that I've been living on autopilot for most of my life and have no idea what I want to do with myself.

I usually just distract myself with games, tv, and whatever. But whenever I see my family and the subject of "what do you want to do with your life" comes up, I get angry and evasive. Because I don't have an answer, even though by now I feel like I should. I'm graduating in less than a year, for pete's sake.

You know it's perfectly okay to not have an immediate answer, right? You should have time to search for this.

You won't end up hanging from you thumbs, or hung out to dry just because you can't find something you want to do right away, I'm sure it's annoying, but like with many things, give it time and you surely find something. That and while I'm sure you broaden your horizons enough, don't be unwilling to look in unlikely places to find that something you could want to do/enjoy.

You know it's perfectly okay to not have an immediate answer, right? You should have time to search for this.

You won't end up hanging from you thumbs, or hung out to dry just because you can't find something you want to do right away, I'm sure it's annoying, but like with many things, give it time and you surely find something. That and while I'm sure you broaden your horizons enough, don't be unwilling to look in unlikely places to find that something you could want to do/enjoy.

I still haven't lost hope despite years having passed already.

I can understand how you feel, since I've dealt with feelings similar. A couple of months before finishing my bachelor's, I realized that I didn't really want to go do a Master's in my field, which lead me to realize that I'd been leaving on auto-pilot, I'd started a biology degree just because it was the usual next step and biology was my favorite subject, without really knowing what I wanted to do with it. After that, I'd get evasive and sullen every time people would ask me what I wanted to do, which wasn't helped by the fact that I never really had a job before. I feeling pretty down since at that point I wasn't even sure that biology was what I wanted to do and felt as though I waster 3 years and tons of money on something that I handed up not liking as much as I had thought.

And then someone told me that it's normal, for a lot of people, to not know what they want to do as their jobs, that it's rarely something that pops up as an epiphany, that you need to experiment, try things to figure it out what interest you and what are your strengths. At that point, I sent a bunch of resumés to different places and when I didn't get any answer, decided to do volunteer work. At one point, I got contacted by one of the place where I had left a résumé and got a job there as a science and math tutor. I had known I had an interest in helping others with their studies, but it wasn't until after working there for several months that I realized that I liked to do it as a job. So now, while I may not know exactly what I want to in education, I at least have a clearer picture.

Overall, it's okay not to know absolutely what you want to do as your work. Me and a lot of people I know feel like you do. Just take the time to experiment to figure what you like and dislike, what you're good at doing. If you liked tech writing, try to find something that lets you explore that area in more details. And don't stop looking for new work experience that you think might interest you, be it volunteer or paid work.

Aww, Topazd was here and I missed it. :(

I kind of feel like this too (although I only just started university). Actually, I very much feel like this. I've known I wanted to study law for years now, and it only took me a few minutes of thought to realize I want to do a master's in constitutional law, but I have no idea what I'd do with that. The easy answer, of course, is "government," but that could be anything from some assistant employee at a municipality to President of the European Union. And instead of going out and getting legal field experience, I play Fire Emblem. I'm afraid I'll just be passive and missing a lot of opportunities, but I don't know what to do about it.

So yeah, I know how you feel and if you want to talk about it, I suggest you contact me on Skype because I don't plan to be on SF for longer than two minutes now.

At least I've got some work experience and a good GPA. Mostly I've done QA work, and a lot of people have been telling me I should try to get some experience as a developer while I can, but tbh I don't think I'd mind doing this kind of thing as a career. I'm not passionate about it at all, but I don't hate it, and it leaves enough free time for me to enjoy my hobbies. Although, maybe once I've been here for a year I'll hate it and jump at the chance to leave, who knows.