Hello, Hi, Hey: I'm $$$ richh

May I ask... what does that even mean "games don't age well?"

I hear it all the time, and doesn't make any sense at all.

I've thought it most likely means that the game as-is if shown to a present-day audience, they'd have trouble getting the hang of it or something.

• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

May I ask... what does that even mean "games don't age well?"

When something was acclaimed or well liked when it first came out, but nowadays those same design choices seem pointless and archaic, serving only to hinder your enjoyment.

I've thought it most likely means that the game as-is if shown to a present-day audience, they'd have trouble getting the hang of it or something.

When something was acclaimed or well liked when it first came out, but nowadays those same design choices seem pointless and archaic, serving only to hinder your enjoyment.

I see it like this, since games don't age because they can't... it's a modern player preference, I see no need or reason to blame the older games for the mentality of modern gamers

Edit: or label them that way is what I should've said.

Edited by Soledai

I was using that one too

I don't know if all the others that had it changed were either with that one or did it themselves after it appeared, tho

That explains it.

Alas. I liked my no badge.

Yes but you've been a member for over a year.

I don't see how's that relevant to me having played FE10 first

Music ((d( 'v' )b))

I like listening to music (and playing it to an extent)

what is wrong with you

hockey is gr8 okay

See what Mei said v

It's okay to play.

As for watching... ima have to say no.

You aren't worthy of being a Canuckkkk

I agree (you also need to be a commie, or at least, that's what shinpichu thinks)

I see it like this, since games don't age because they can't... it's a modern player preference, I see no need or reason to blame the older games for the mentality of modern gamers

Edit: or label them that way is what I should've said.

No, I see it more as hardware limits of the time prevented designers from doing certain things or forced them down certain routes, but nowadays with those limits gone that system or design in no longer something that can pass.

wMqMF4z.png

What's this for?

No apologies necessary.

Of course sir.

No, I see it more as hardware limits of the time prevented designers from doing certain things or forced them down certain routes, but nowadays with those limits gone that system or design in no longer something that can pass.

What's this for?

Of course sir.

It's DQIX.

GLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEE!

*only people who've SRW Z2 may get this*

Yo.

I like listening to music (and playing it to an extent)

See what Mei said v

I agree (you also need to be a commie, or at least, that's what shinpichu thinks)

Cool you can play? What instrument?

Take that Shin! >:)

Oh.

I'm an illusion

Don't you get lonely?

Even saying that doesn't make the game "age", we already know hardware limitations, denying the fact is foolhardy, so you can't say the game "aged" badly when all you had to work in was a small space... so to speak.

Having said that I know some older games that have more depth, better gameplay, and better handling(for lack of a better term) than modern games... that's beside the point though.

To give an example, I swear I've seen this... a person goes from playing a playstation 3 game of a certain series, goes back to an snes game in the same series... and complains about what the Snes version lacks compared to the ps3 game... Why... why even do something so stupid as that?