So, for those of you who haven't heard (and care)... *Harry Potter related*

Konnor97

That's really interesting, especially how she admitted it was more born from wish fulfillment than actual logic. That just struck me as mature, even if it ends up causing a huge ruckus in the HP fanbase.

Been neutral on Ron/Hermione, but I liked that Harry/Hermione wasn't a thing because I like it when guy and girl who are friends stay friends and that their friendship is not viewed as second string to romance, and I also liked that the male lead didn't end up with the female lead.

But hey, the books are written and have been published for years. Understandable for a writer to change her mind and certainly it's within her rights to do whatever the hell she wants with her universe, but I don't think she can do much about it now.

she should regret even letting loner nerds like harry & ron have relationships in the entire series

both souless ginger and cho chang (i dont even have to try to make the name sound racist) were both way too hot / good for him

edit - i realized halfway through my cig that i forgot to talk about hermione

i feel like rowling went out of her way during the entire series to characterize hermione as an out of place girl from mediocre backgrounds by wizard standards who simply makes it due to her hard work and willingness to sacrifice herself in order to develop her raw talent into diamond like skill.

her relationship with viktor krum even proves that she's way out of ron / harry's leagues, but settles anyway just because they end up doing heroic things or spit their guts about their loss idk.

i guess what im saying is that my first two sentences of this post should be interpreted as nerdfanrage that rowling dehumanized what a great character and role model hermione is by deciding to make her have to be set up with either one of the male leads in the end

Edited by black op: skyfang

Rowling regrets this because of the fan rage?

That's just outrageous, I'm disappointed in her. I'm no Harry Potter fan (only liked Prisoner of Azkaban, tbh), but I'm an author myself that does romances, and she shouldn't feel bummed because some of the fanbase hoped for something else. Her writing is HER writing and whatever she decides on goes, regardless of what the fans want.

I'm not saying that she should just ignore what the fans want completely, but the thing is, they can't just get everything they want, especially when they won't all agree. If Rowling really liked the idea of Ron x Hermione, that was her decision. I like their relationship myself and think she made the right choice. Besides, if Harry got Hermione, who would Ron get with? He never had a close relationship with any other female characters barring family members from what I remember. And I'm sure Rowling didn't want to leave him out since she paired up a bunch of people (not just Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but most of the Weasleys and even that jerkface Draco Malfoy, I think).

Besides, Harry got with Ginny, Ron's sister. And he and Ron are best friends, so the idea of them being brother-in-laws is perfect.

Rowling needs to be tougher than this, like the guys behind Avatar: The Last Airbender. They never succumbed to the fan rage about their chosen pairings, they sucked it up and continued with Avatar: The Legend of Korra. Besides, fan rage over something like this is just ridiculous. I mean, while I did ship the canon pairings of Harry Potter, I admittedly wasn't a supporter of any of the Avatar pairings except for Sokka x Suki and Zuko x Mai (I liked Aang x Toph and Jet x Katara xP). But I never got all pissed, I dealt with it. And the creators even went and killed off Jet, no less. :(

I really don't know what to say other than Hermione/Ron at least made more sense to me than Harry/Ginny. I always felt the latter came out of nowhere as if Rowling was desperate to pair Harry with anyone.

Well it doesn't really make sense that Hermione would be with someone as dull (in terms of skills, not personality) as Ron, when Harry was far more talented and the chosen one. Someone such as Hermione would try to be perfect in all areas of her life, and marrying Harry would fit the bill much more than Ron. I think, however, that the way the story unfolded is much better, because Harry x Hermione is the obvious choice as a writer... The chosen one and little miss perfect, what's not to like? It's too obvious, though. I think the fact Hermione chose Ron makes her character look a lot better in my eyes, because it means she doesn't care about her husband's possible achievements, and she wouldn't be cruel to Ron, rejecting him just because he's a dull Weasley.

I also think that, if she wanted to marry Harry to Hermione, she should've scrapped Ron's character and done the series with just Harry and Hermione. By saying what she said, JK Rowling did a disservice to Ron IMO. She's known for doing stuff like this to her story, though. IMO the Dumbledore homosexuality revelation falls into the same category. It feels like she wanted to say he's gay just to attract media over her series. If you read the books, you'll know Dumbledore's sexuality is completely irrelevant to the story. I don't care he's gay, but I didn't like the way she revealed it.

Been neutral on Ron/Hermione, but I liked that Harry/Hermione wasn't a thing because I like it when guy and girl who are friends stay friends and that their friendship is not viewed as second string to romance, and I also liked that the male lead didn't end up with the female lead.

Agreed on that.

I dunno, I didn't feel like Ron/Hermione was the most natural thing, but I didn't feel it was wrong or poorly done, either. Harry/Ginny felt a bit like it came out of left field for me, but since it was never given much focus I didn't care all that much.

Actually, when I think about it, Harry/Ginny feels a bit possessive on Harry's part. There was the very obvious thing for the first few books where Ginny had a major crush on Harry, but it kind of faded, and then Harry's just like, "Wait, she's dating other guys now? I can't have that!" But maybe that's just me over-interpreting.

I myself always had mixed feelings about Ron/Hermione, so I'm half surprised/half not surprised that she did have regrets.

On one hand, as a canon pairing, I want to support it and I still semi-do to a certain extent (it makes things easier for me overall), but on the other.....I dunno, it always felt kinda forced to me, starting with parts of Book 4 and definitely around Book 6. It made me feel like I had to roll with and love it, even though I thought they weren't really the perfect match (always fighting, never seeming to be on equal footing in terms of personality or competence; plus, I was beginning to get tired of the whole "OMG they fight so much, they MUST secretly love each other" that was becoming a prevalent thing in most relationships I saw presented) and since the first book I had always thought that Harry and Hermione seemed to be on a more similar wavelength, not just as potential lovers but as friends too. I remember it made me feel weird when reading the seventh book (after Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione were pretty much slated for the end) when Ron had ditched them for a time, Harry and Hermione seemed to function pretty well together as a cohesive unit; I really felt that especially during the visit to Godric's Hollow and his parent's grave. Definitely shows what good friends and companions they made for each other, but I dunno....I feel that Harry/Hermione could've worked out as well. Doesn't matter much anymore I suppose though.

She's got one thing right; they'll definitely need marriage counseling. =P

she should regret even letting loner nerds like harry & ron have relationships in the entire series

It wasn't exactly clear that's what you were responding to, considering you didn't quote anyone. >_>

@n00srac: Thank you; I like being articulate about these things. XD

As a writer, the one thing I never want to have after finishing a series like that is regrets on how to have handled characters and such, so seeing J.K Rowling admit something like this has certainly given me some food for thought...

I was debating on saying something about Harry and Hermoine, but I didn't know how to express it without it sounding like some cheesy lead male and lead female pairing, so I appreciate you saying it.

Yes, also I believe they wouldn't gel that well. But at the end of the day? I really have trouble fucking caring.

Yeah, I really can't say I care too much about this revelation myself. It's not like she can change the ending with DLC...

It was some time I read the books, I must read them again one day...

Well, honnestly, I didn't know who date who was the most important part of the story.

And, you know, I think they have divorce too in the wizard world. If J.K. Rowling want to write a following story where They broke and Hermione and Harry decides to marry each other, she still can. (Or any Fan Fiction writer, actually).

I always prefered friendship to romance, so the best for me would have been that none of the main marry each other, but I'm probably a minority here.

both souless ginger and cho chang (i dont even have to try to make the name sound racist) were both way too hot / good for him

I sense some jealousy! Perhaps a ginger wig might do you some good!

I kinda didn't really pay attention to the romantic subplots, I found the main story more interesting, although that's probably because I started reading the books when only the first three were out. Harry and Ginny seemed a little random, but I guess it could have been worse! I have a feeling she paired people up towards the end just to show that they're still actually teenagers.