What are humans like?

Nicolas

I think easily distracted answers the topic title.

How does free will make us objectively superior to ants? If anything, the lack of free will in individual members of the bug colonies allow them to perform way better as a single super-organism than if they all did pursued their own agenda.

With no free will, then what has man of is greatest achievements, it's greatest gifts? What ant has ever considered the possibilities of science, metallurgy, art, or story telling? None, but for man these are some of our first achievements in human history.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think easily distracted answers the topic title.

With no free will, then what has man of is greatest achievements, it's greatest gifts? What ant has ever considered the possibilities of science, metallurgy, art, or story telling? None, but for man these are some of our first achievements in human history.

Most of my point is that everything man has is a double-edged sword. Intelligence and free will have some big benefits, but it comes with drawbacks too. Ants won't tell story, develop in sciences or do metallurgy, but they're able of some building abilities, can communicate and learn between themselves and also cultivate and store food.

Overall, I think what humans need to learn is to become humbler regarding the other living beings on this planets. We think ourselves inherently superior to every other beings and as such have no qualms in killing a multitude of living beings every day. We destroy our environment and layer it with our wastes, but just the disappearance of the honey bee would affect us greatly. All living beings on this planet are linked to another in a certain way. Even the most banal of plants may have some use in its ecosystem. Stomping on nature like it's barely worth our notice will come to bite in the rear if we continue this way. We may not disappear, but we'll suffer greatly and may have trouble coming back to the level we are currently at. I'm saddened when I think that even though there were multiple mass extinction in the story of our planet, the one that is currently under course has received a considerable contribution from our species.

(I remember reading somewhere that if a big catastrophe occurred where most of our infrastructure were destroyed, humanity would risk being stranded in a pre-bronze age climate simply due to the fact that most metals that human used to progressively reach our state of advancement are now so deep into the Earth that it requires the use of heavy machinery. If a catastrophic event destroyed our machines and buildings on a large scale and the people that know how to build an pilot these machines were to die without being able to pass it on to someone, we'd be royally screwed)

Most of my point is that everything man has is a double-edged sword. Intelligence and free will have some big benefits, but it comes with drawbacks too. Ants won't tell story, develop in sciences or do metallurgy, but they're able of some building abilities, can communicate and learn between themselves and also cultivate and store food.

Overall, I think what humans need to learn is to become humbler regarding the other living beings on this planets. We think ourselves inherently superior to every other beings and as such have no qualms in killing a multitude of living beings every day. We destroy our environment and layer it with our wastes, but just the disappearance of the honey bee would affect us greatly. All living beings on this planet are linked to another in a certain way. Even the most banal of plants may have some use in its ecosystem. Stomping on nature like it's barely worth our notice will come to bite in the rear if we continue this way. We may not disappear, but we'll suffer greatly and may have trouble coming back to the level we are currently at. I'm saddened when I think that even though there were multiple mass extinction in the story of our planet, the one that is currently under course has received a considerable contribution from our species.

(I remember reading somewhere that if a big catastrophe occurred where most of our infrastructure were destroyed, humanity would risk being stranded in a pre-bronze age climate simply due to the fact that most metals that human used to progressively reach our state of advancement are now so deep into the Earth that it requires the use of heavy machinery. If a catastrophic event destroyed our machines and buildings on a large scale and the people that know how to build an pilot these machines were to die without being able to pass it on to someone, we'd be royally screwed)

Destroying the environment is bad, but, as you said, it would hurt us, so I don't support it. Do you have any idea how badly your life would suck if you were anything other than human. Our intellect has gotten us to the point where we are not at risk of death if we sit around and do nothing. Yes, technology may destroy us, but it has also caused the existence of humanity to be the, quite frankly, most enjoyable of any species ever. If the disaster that you said happens, humanity will eventually rebuild. Our ability to invent is what has kept us from extinction. Even if it will be the death of us, I'd say it was worth it.

i'll agree, being human is pretty goddamn sweet, but everything you're saying is subjective.

if we were to sit around and do nothing, we would die. as would any other animal.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

i'll agree, being human is pretty goddamn sweet, but everything you're saying is subjective.

if we were to sit around and do nothing, we would die. as would any other animal.

Maybe I worded that wrong. I meant that we don't need to collect food.

Maybe I worded that wrong. I meant that we don't need to collect food.

. . .explain this, because my refrigerator disagrees with you.

. . .explain this, because my refrigerator disagrees with you.

We have free time to do things other than find food. I meant that we don't have to devote every second of our lives to survival.

that's not necessarily true. there are humans in some parts of the world who are still hunter-gatherers and technically devote every moment of their life to survival.

These tribes are a tiny minority of humanity, and do not represent what humans are.

These tribes are a tiny minority of humanity, and do not represent what humans are.

i actually think that they are great representatives of humanity. up until around 14000 years ago, all of humanity lived in these sorts of tribes.

i actually think that they are great representatives of humanity. up until around 14000 years ago, all of humanity lived in these sorts of tribes.

Yeah, 14000 years ago. Just like how Pong is a perfect representation of contemporary video games.