Frontier - Act One, Chapter Three

Parrhesia

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliving lead the way into the Voice - bought the rooms and a couple of pints, then took a seat right at the bar, shoulders postured in a decidedly unwelcome way to whoever else wanted to sit next to them. "Oi, Sher - we got time t' kill. Might as well make somethin' of it, aye?"

Khaled made it back from his search, and began removing the bandages from Arin's leg, talking as he went. "So... might either of you have been with that apothecary who came here earlier? Maybe thirty, thirty one years old? Mary was her name."

"Yeah, we're with her. There's a big group of us in from the road. We were dealing with brigands. Brought in the leader even. He's being interrogated by the Countess and her daughter right now actually. Why? Did she do something here?"

Khaled grimaced at the leg wound, then started liberally applying herbal medicine to it. "She came here looking for information on the jungle fever - she left knowing its cure, courtesy of me. If she tries to inject you with a serum, believe me - it will work." He rolled off a fresh bandage, and snipped it off. "And nothing else will."

"Huh, jungle fever. I wonder if Ten Strong knows anything about that. Should tell Mary to talk to him about it at some point." Bekka shrugged. "How's his leg? It isn't infected, is it?"

Meanwhile, Ten strolled in and blinked. "Nice weapons you have here. Did not expect to see such good quality to be honest. I had not realized quite how settled your kind have become. To have such fine blades as these... you must work hard." He bowed to the man out of respect. "Sadly I do not think I could afford any weapon that would be an upgrade to my current blade," he said with a gesture to his machete. "However, I would like to simply talk to you. Is there any information that a man working with a fighting group such as myself should know about this city? I am not used to such places as this and would not want to make a blunder and cause trouble for my sergeants."

Sherry took a pint, wondering something. "So it's fine if we drink now? But not before?" A coy grin revealed itself. "And, Sher, really? Already a pet name. You work fast." She took a swig. "Alright, make somethin' of it. Tell me what's on your mind, or ask me what's on mine. Or don't, there's probably not much swimmin' around up there."

----------

"Better that I can move on this properly again, yes." Arin grimaced as Khaled began to remove his bandages and apply the medicine, the stinging quite sharp on his wound. "Sorry about this. Took an arrow to it, running from a rather ridiculous operation. Such is the life of a scout, aye? But I appreciate your work, nonetheless. Do I owe you anything?"

"Beer ain't drinking," said Cliving mildly. "So why'd you move west? Thought it was just me that was clever enough to get away from the bloody fens."

"It is not infected - and with this vulnerary, it will stay that way! You will be fine, my friend. Forget prices - as long as you are with the military, my work is free."

Karel shrugged. "You'll hear nothin' from me you can't hear on the street."
One of his apprentices, a tall, chunky blonde, wiped the sweat from her brow. "Ah, come on, Karel. Not like he's driving away customers." She turned to the tracker. "Chenoworth's not a real city, stranger, that's the first thing you've got to pay attention to - just wants to be one, is all. Highwaters is where all the fancy stuff is - down this end of the river, you've got the churches and most of the trade. It's pretty big, but there's not many people living here yet - it can seem really empty at times. But there's no surprises, nothing that'll make you look stupid."

Ten nodded and smiled at the woman. "My thanks to you. This, by what I know, is a large city. Is good to know that is not true. If there is anything you wish to know that I could tell you, feel free to ask." He winked at her as he finished talking.

She slicked back her hair with a casual feeling that fooled nobody. "Ha! Well, uh, I'm due to get out of here in ten minutes... if you'll wait, I could show you around Highwaters? Ton of stuff there I'm sure you ain't seen before. My name's Brenna."

"Oh, is it not, now?" She almost laughed. And then he hit her with a rather tough question. She frowned. "A bit of this, a bit of that. A few regrets, and the only work a deserter could get. Didn't want to just curl up and die, and I didn't have much choice. Smart choice, eh?"

----------

"Wonderful! Thank you so much, ehrm... I'm sorry, I don't think I got your name, but thank you!" He carefully hopped himself off of the slate, making sure to not put too much pressure onto the leg. "Where should we head off to next, Bekka? I'm rather interested in the armor shop, I won't lie."

Ten raised an eyebrow and slowly smiled. "Well. Ten minutes is well worth the wait I think. I will be outside so not to disturb you now. Oh. And my name is Ten Strong." He bowed slightly and headed outside to lean against the building, whistling quietly.

Bekka smiled at Arin. "Sure, that sounds good to me. Maybe it'll keep you from getting shot somewhere more dangerous next time." Nodding in thanks to Khaled, she headed out with him to the armory. When they reached the shop, she opened the door for him and headed in to look around.

Edited by scorri

Cliving shrugged. "Can't blame you. Me, I just got caught up in the war. Did well in it. ... Got captured. Merc captain wouldn't ransom me, but the Tascaran commander did - Miriam Randel herself, I later found out. So I kept fightin' for them, and when they lost and got shipped west, I followed. Can't say it's been the best time of it... it's not been bad, though. And the girls are prettier here. Ones back in Dracia usually smell of th' fuckin' swamp. You don't got that, though - been away too long for that."

Brenna craned her neck and leant out of the shop window as Ten left, then sighed happily as she returned to her steelwork.

"Ah, just go and shag already," muttered Karel.

Brenna tried to look shocked. "Master Karel, I-"
"Go on, get out. Not much else as any of youse need to work on today, we're ahead of schedule."
The blonde beamed and bowed, before grabbing her satchel, putting her apron into it and excusing herself.

She found Ten Strong quite quickly. "Hey! Karel let me go early. He can be alright sometimes."

With great reluctance, Su San extracted himself from the presence of the(in his eyes for the moment) beauteous Meredith. It left him feeling rather warm and fuzzy deep inside and he looked around the city for things to do.

With a quick survey, the myrmidon finally decided on his course of action. His new weapon would need a new friend to accompany it, so after turning in some paper for his pay, Su San entered the Armoury and immediately his eyes shone with great avarice at the heavier armour on display.

Walking up to Callum the foreigner inquired on the pricing of the armours before tapping on his current set. It had signs of wear due to all the travelling, but surprisingly less if any pierced points in it. "Master, you buy not broken armour?"

"Yes, then I buy that," Su San said pointing at the splintmail.

Deciding that she wanted much cleaner looking environments, Kirsten made her way to Highwaters, mainly in search for any reputable public baths.

Stopping the first unarmoured looking individual who looked relatively less covered in dirt as the average citizen, the alchemist asked, "Hey you. Where's the public baths?"

Edited by Rothene

Callum appraised the chainmail. Judging by his sneer, he didn't like what he saw. "We'll take the armour, but there's not much use I have for it. It's halfway to scrap. Sixty crowns for the splint."

The young woman jerked a finger behind her. "Pretty basic, but you can get a decent couple hours there."

The Highwaters district seems immediately cleaner and somewhat more full of life than the rest of Chenoworth. A different sort of people are around - you can fish for rumours (roll d12) different to those below. It boasts a theatre, a stable, a pub, Meadows' Stand, which appears to have native arrows sticking in the roof, and the baths.

"How much you buy armour?" Su San asked as he reached for his started counting out gold. He did not like pouring out more gold than was necessary. Whatever price he could rid himself of his old armour, would be spent towards his new armour.

Wasting no time at all, Kirsten made her way to the baths.

Thank the gods for civilisation, the fiery alchemist thought as she sank herself into the warm waters of the bath. Eyeing for any gossiping crowd in the bath, Kirsten made her way to listen and perhaps stir discussion. With her full attention, Kirsten fished for rumours.

"Ah, come on, don't remind me. I already feel terrible about getting hit in the first place." He tried to smile and followed her, giving Khaled an enthusiastic wave. He must've been the nicest man Arin had run into so far. He tried to beat Bekka to the door to open it for her, but his leg wouldn't let him, and he sheepishly nodded to her and walked in. "Thanks."

----------

"Nice save," Sherry said with a smirk. "Maybe the girls here have rubbed off on me, or something, if you're the least bit interested. I doubt you'd go along with this for my sake if you weren't." She set the drink down; she wasn't really feeling it right now, and it didn't taste as good as it normally did. "Really? Miriam fuckin' Randel? Geez, didn't you get lucky. Wish I'd've gotten into work through someone like that. I've only got the same old boring story you'd probably heard before; was a mercenary, trained with a bow because I lived in Dracia. Enjoying life a lot more now. It's been pretty exciting, recently."

Bekka smiled at Arin. "Ah, no problem. You're all injured and stuff, you get to be excused from such things as opening doors. How's it feeling now? Good thing it didn't get infected. You might have needed to lose the leg." She said this with a completely straight face, hoping to scare him a bit.

Arin stopped in the doorway and shivered, placing both hands on Bekka's shoulders with a rather terrified look in his eyes. "Please, never suggest that again." He didn't say anything else, but he quickly realized how he'd reacted and let her go, making his way entirely into the armourer's.

"I will buy your scrap, cheap, sub-army-standard chainmail for less than a crown. The splintmail costs sixty plus the chain."

The bath offers the full set, at almost decent prices. Atrium, cold, warm and hot baths, and the lovely process of strigilling.

"Gunpowder's the future," says a young, bright-eyed woman. "Won't be long b'fore we can get handguns as fire straight - the crossbow is on the way out, you take that from me."
"They ain't rubbed off on you. You're prettier than the girls here," said Cliving, absently. "Talk prettier, too. You don't sound like an urchin, or like a fuckin' blueblood - that puts you a cut above the bloody Tascarans. Don't got a fuckin' tangle of blonde hair, either. Though you gen'rally can tell a mainlander Tascaran apart from a Charmadian, by voice - westerners got a bit of a brogue, sound a bit ... Bernician, really. We'll prob'ly sound like that eventually. Hope not, though."