QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what are your opinions on 'actually scary Horror movies' beyond none have lived up to the title recently, it isn't hard

Edited by Parrhesia

Horror movies terrify me, even the incredibly poorly done ones. I'm a wimp like that. Love horror games though, even the well done ones. I don't think I'm even less scared, I just really dig having the agency to do what I want.

Also I really want to read Lovecraft.

I don't enjoy the genre unless spectacularly badly-executed.

wow nm such a kinky avatar

Edited by Parrhesia

the thought of a tied-up cartoon blonde having !!!her feet tickled!!! is furiously erotic to some people

there was a commission for a morbidly obese penelope pitstop being caught in a rope

a commission

someone paid money for someone else to do it

I love atmospheric/creepy horror. Not a big fan of most horror things because they focus on anticipation and jump scares which are cheap thrills compared to the dread of atmospheric horror.

Horror movies are great - rarely frightening, but often entertaining. I love trash movies.

There are a few good ones, but still... hardly any manage to be real "horror". (Triangle is a great example for a good horror movie that isn't frightening)

Edited by Assurhaddon

They're probably not really horror movies, but I liked Zodiac and Memories of Murder, which have some basis in real life. Amazingly (IMO), there is apparently a statute of limitations on murder in South Korea. As for traditional horror, I pretty much never go to see them. Scream was entertaining IMO.

EDIT-Nightmare reminded me of The Thing, which is indeed a great movie.

Edited by SeverIan

Horror movies terrify me, even the incredibly poorly done ones. I'm a wimp like that. Love horror games though, even the well done ones. I don't think I'm even less scared, I just really dig having the agency to do what I want.

Also I really want to read Lovecraft.

Read Lovecraft! Nao! So gud...

More into psychological thrillers myself. Can't understand how the new Evil Dead movie got favourable reviews. Shill?

Also, the amount of blatant sexual imagery common in straight up horror movies is /so weird/

Ugh that Evil Dead remake...ewwwww. I hated it. Gimme Bruce Campbell or gimme death.

About the sexual stuff in horror, its really not that bizarro if you think about it. Its that whole Judeo-Christian silliness about how sex and evil and scary stuff are all a part of the same coin and shit. Fear the temptation, and all that fun stuff. I do agree with you when it comes to like, full blown gratuitous sex scenes in horror movies because nothing scary is going on at that moment. If its Jason sneaking up on a couple getting bizzay, thats one thing, but if its just there...its like "wat." Sexual imagery tends to work a little better with the whole juxtaposition of scary. (See that old Sam Neill film, Possession for details.)

EDIT-Nightmare reminded me of The Thing, which is indeed a great movie.

ungh! This movie is gr9. I watched it not too long ago for the first time in yonks and man..it still holds up.

Read Lovecraft! Nao! So gud...

Ugh that Evil Dead remake...ewwwww. I hated it. Gimme Bruce Campbell or gimme death.

About the sexual stuff in horror, its really not that bizarro if you think about it. Its that whole Judeo-Christian silliness about how sex and evil and scary stuff are all a part of the same coin and shit. Fear the temptation, and all that fun stuff. I do agree with you when it comes to like, full blown gratuitous sex scenes in horror movies because nothing scary is going on at that moment. If its Jason sneaking up on a couple getting bizzay, thats one thing, but if its just there...its like "wat." Sexual imagery tends to work a little better with the whole juxtaposition of scary. (See that old Sam Neill film, Possession for details.)

ungh! This movie is gr9. I watched it not too long ago for the first time in yonks and man..it still holds up.

i mean shit like the black snake crawling up a vagina in the evil dead, or the bit where the possessed chick gets all touchy between the other chick's legs, or all the sexual tension in the freddie movies, or how it's everywhere in horror movies like holy shit chill it down.

alien is literally based on this

Edited by fuccboi

i mean shit like the black snake crawling up a vagina in the evil dead, or the bit where the possessed chick gets all touchy between the other chick's legs, or all the sexual tension in the freddie movies, or how it's everywhere in horror movies like holy shit chill it down.

Point still stands though. Sex in western society is seen as sinful so to put it in with horror sort of reinforces the "evils" of it. Even Evil Molesting Trees and all. Thats likely the reason its in there. That and trying to shock people.