QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't lie, lying's bad

it was about two inner-city sisters (from cincinatti?) who got sucked into the world of naruto but conveniently at least one of them had her glock 9 on her at the time

it was incredible

the problem with fanfiction is that it works with an established universe and an established set of characters with established personalities. this leaves little room for universe expansion and character development, considering of course that a fan of a work will never know the work as well as its creator. what this leaves you with is a genre conductive mostly to wish fulfillment and at best subpar characterization and development.

ie it's shit in almost all cases

Edited by fuccboi

It's complete and utter shite.

it was about two inner-city sisters (from cincinatti?) who got sucked into the world of naruto but conveniently at least one of them had her glock 9 on her at the time

it was incredible

it was incredible

This sounds great

Its really a crap shoot. Fanfiction can be fun and really interesting if in the right hands. If in the wrong hands, its bullshit. Unfortunately, its in the wrong hands like 98% of the time. Luckily, i know a couple of folks who can properly fanfic.

Times like this is where I casually note that Vergil's Aeneid is nothing but glorified Iliad/Odyssey self (ancestor?) insert fanfiction commissioned by Augustus

I'm forever bitter about it dropping my otherwise glorious track record in Latin down an entire 15 points because I can't poetry

Times like this is where I casually note that Vergil's Aeneid is nothing but glorified Iliad/Odyssey self (ancestor?) insert fanfiction commissioned by Augustus

I'm forever bitter about it dropping my otherwise glorious track record in Latin down an entire 15 points because I can't poetry

...I don't care if I'm branded as a philistine - I honestly don't think the Aeneid compared favorably to Homer when I read it a long time ago.

(In english though)

no it's okay I'm kinda bitter at it too because I sucked at translating it but it wasn't awful and the dude certainly got /paid/

that being said I'm in a classics course right now and reading a bunch of old greek plays and I had a sudden realisation that a lot of them are pretty much homeric epic fanfics in essence

Imagine if you write a fanfic and it becomes popular enough to be put on theater and are studied in schools everywhere CENTURIES after your death

no it's okay I'm kinda bitter at it too because I sucked at translating it but it wasn't awful and the dude certainly got /paid/

that being said I'm in a classics course right now and reading a bunch of old greek plays and I had a sudden realisation that a lot of them are pretty much homeric epic fanfics in essence

Imagine if you write a fanfic and it becomes popular enough to be put on theater and are studied in schools everywhere CENTURIES after your death

I always like to say that Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy are just bible fanfiction. I also like to think that some Midrash, which can be "filling in" stories about the old testament, are essentially holy fanfiction as well.

I haven't read too many Greek plays (never read Oedipus Rex), but I really loved The Orestiea (sp?).

Much of Renaissance art is essentially really good bible fanart too, take that people who give fanartists flak for it not being "real art"

But yeah people really liked to make bible fanwork in those days

I've read a part of that (Agamemnon) but not in whole, but the prof told us what happened after Agamemnon and I think I'll read it in full sometimes

I always like to say that Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy are just bible fanfiction. I also like to think that some Midrash, which can be "filling in" stories about the old testament, are essentially holy fanfiction as well.

I haven't read too many Greek plays (never read Oedipus Rex), but I really loved The Orestiea (sp?).

i'd say the bible is bible fanfiction tbh

I disagree with the two posters above, but I don't want to get into a religious debate. Anyway, I think there are some really good fanfictions out there, they're just few and far between. But I do appreciate them when I find a good one, and some genres/franchises tend to have better fanfictions in general I think.

I SERIOUSLY WISH I KNEW

i think it was on quizilla which is now rip

no that one was on fanfiction.net

I just have no idea what it was called anymore