Would you buy MGS: 5(Ground Zeroes)for $20/$30?

Disinnocence

The reason why it's "$30/$40" is because I don't remember the actual price.

So, as you might know, MSG: 5 has only two hours worth of(story)gameplay(or ten minutes, as someone(I don't remember)said; I guess if you're that good)and I don't know how much extra side-stuff(probably like 3 hours worth, I'm guessing), and is pretty much a new way for Konami to get $80/$90 dollars out of you(for Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain). I've never played MSG before, and I plan to wait until the GotY version comes out to play this.

I've seen that this game looks really good, but not for that price. You're pretty much paying for a(longer)demo.
I think, that if they REALLY must do this, at least make it $10-$15, and that's even a but much, maybe?
So, the only thing I really worry about is that other companies will start doing this too if Ground Zeroes sells well.
And I really don't want to have to pay $80/$90 for a game that doesn't actually need to be split into two.

So, if you've played the game(or, really, if you haven't, I don't care), is this really justifiable?

Edited by Krystalthryx

I've never played MSG before, and I plan to wait until the GotY version comes out to play this.

If you're itching to play MGS you should consider buying used versions of the older games on Amazon. There's one compilation that includes MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker for $30. MGS4 by itself costs < $10 after shipping. I've never played MGS, nor do I really plan to in the future, but this seems like a better idea than having to wait till MGS5 gets its price slashed.

In general, paying (say) $100 for a single video game (including accessories and such) isn't something I would rule out if I expected to spend tons of time on that game (think competitive games: Street Fighter, Pokemon). Chess players spend a fair bit of cash on chess books and other stuff.

Edited by Miikaya

Konami is the publisher, not Capcom. And I don't know about the other systems but the physical copy of the PS3 version is 30$ while the digital version is 20$. But anyway, I'm not really sure if Ground Zeroes would be the best place to start with a MGS game because the length and price is going to be a turnoff for someone who hasn't gotten to the series yet for sure and you probably wouldn't enjoy the story as much, I'd suggest starting with the older games first and see for yourself if you want to consider buying it then and theres a possibility you could find a used copy thats cheaper by then if you want.

I don't have the game yet, but I don't mind the price too much because of how slow and overly cautious I am in MGS games anyway, so I'm sure that and the side-missions should keep me occupied for a while though I can see why people are hesitant to buy it. I seriously doubt it will become a trend though, just seems way too risky for companies.

Edited by !

I beat Ground Zeroes in 3 hours on PS3, not sure if it's any different on the current generation consoles. It's also the first game I've bought since this time last year.

Ground Zeroes' length is deceptive. It cuts down heavily on cutscenes and instead tells the backstory through collectible audio tapes. All MGS games are quite short, the difference is that the previous installments have all been full of lengthy cutscenes. I guess you could speedrun GZ in no time, but that's not indicative of the content in the game, and it's easy to spot a reviewer of questionable quality based on how they've approached their GZ review. The game can also be completed in multiple ways, and there is quite a bit of side content.

GZ is priced perfectly, it's about half as long as a traditional MGS game and costs half as much to buy, or 1/3rd as much if you buy digitally.

Anyway, if you want to get into MGS then buy the Legacy Collection on PS3. It has Metal Gear 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 1-4, Peace Walker, VR Missions and two graphic novels for the cost of one game ($60).

Edited by Tangerine

$30-$40 is perfect for any game released very recently, I don't know why a topic has to be made for this. The pricing is perfect. :/:

The issue is that you only get a demo, from what I've heard...http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/11133-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes-Review-Snake-Oil

If you have $30, you may as well get yourself 5 copies of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, and hand 3 copies to your friends. It'll probably be much more fulfilling, but you don't need to take my word for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3OWOuMdpKc

Thanks for pointing out my stupid mistakes.
I always get Konami and Capcom mixed up...

Konami is the publisher, not Capcom. And I don't know about the other systems but the physical copy of the PS3 version is 30$ while the digital version is 20$. But anyway, I'm not really sure if Ground Zeroes would be the best place to start with a MGS game because the length and price is going to be a turnoff for someone who hasn't gotten to the series yet for sure and you probably wouldn't enjoy the story as much, I'd suggest starting with the older games first and see for yourself if you want to consider buying it then and theres a possibility you could find a used copy thats cheaper by then if you want.

I don't have the game yet, but I don't mind the price too much because of how slow and overly cautious I am in MGS games anyway, so I'm sure that and the side-missions should keep me occupied for a while though I can see why people are hesitant to buy it. I seriously doubt it will become a trend though, just seems way too risky for companies.

I beat Ground Zeroes in 3 hours on PS3, not sure if it's any different on the current generation consoles. It's also the first game I've bought since this time last year.

Ground Zeroes' length is deceptive. It cuts down heavily on cutscenes and instead tells the backstory through collectible audio tapes. All MGS games are quite short, the difference is that the previous installments have all been full of lengthy cutscenes. I guess you could speedrun GZ in no time, but that's not indicative of the content in the game, and it's easy to spot a reviewer of questionable quality based on how they've approached their GZ review. The game can also be completed in multiple ways, and there is quite a bit of side content.

GZ is priced perfectly, it's about half as long as a traditional MGS game and costs half as much to buy, or 1/3rd as much if you buy digitally.

Anyway, if you want to get into MGS then buy the Legacy Collection on PS3. It has Metal Gear 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 1-4, Peace Walker, VR Missions and two graphic novels for the cost of one game ($60).

After watching a 4-5 hours stream of it last night(it probably went on for 6 hours, because it was 2 am, and I wanted to get SOME sleep that night), I actually can agree it's probably worth $20, if maybe a bit much still. I still think $30 is a bit too much still, so I'd just get the digital if I wanted to play this anytime soon, which, I've never played MSG, but this game looked really good, so I'm not counting it out. Still, I'll probably wait for the GotY version.
Also, I forgot about the Legacy Collection, I'll check that out after I finish some of my games.

Of course I know there might not be one, I just called it that, but I'm going to have to assume that, sometime in the future, they're going to put together a pack of both games. Definitive Edition/Collection, I guess? I don't know why they wouldn't.

And yes, I still think $20 is debatable. I still think $15 would be better, but, yet again, that's just me.

Edited by Krystalthryx

hell yeah i bought it. and guess what? i got peace walker for free because i pre ordered it

Niiice. I'm just getting into MGS, and I plan on buying an original copy of the first game, downloading a PS1 emulator and sticking the disc into my disc drive. I'll use ISOs on either rarer or high-demand games, like, say, Herc's Adventure or Final Fantasy VII. Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

Niiice. I'm just getting into MGS, and I plan on buying an original copy of the first game, downloading a PS1 emulator and sticking the disc into my disc drive. I'll use ISOs on either rarer high-demand games, like, say, Herc's Adventure or Final Fantasy VII.

How does Final Fantasy VII qualify as rare under any criteria ever?

$20 and that is just because it's a MGS game. This is not "Half-minute Hero" in which you have to replay a lot to archive better ending/understand the story better. You can replay GZ as much as you like, there is nothing new in the end and your option to take on the missions is limited too.