For some reason, it gets to me when people say that they're "atheist".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Atheist = someone who doesn't belive in god

Irreligious = someone who doesn't follow a religion

There are many people who are irreligious but believe in god (and as you said, there are religious without the belief in god)

If someone say they're atheist, they probably are focusing on their belief (or lack of) in god rather than their religion

Next time I see someone that says that, I'm going to jokingly ask them "So, you're Buddhist?"(Buddhism is atheistic). They could just say "areligious". Not that it should get to me, though.

if they were buddhist then i suspect they would say that

they

were

buddhist

every atheist should clearly identify themselves to you as Irreligious Secular Gnostics that would make things much easier for everyone though!!!

if you ask someone "are you a buddhist" after they tell you're they're an atheist you're an obnoxious cunt

Sure, thanks. I should try and work this out with myself, then go start evangelizing to them.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

I don't think there's any doubt what someone means when they say they're atheist

and what they mean is not buddhism

because if they were following a nontheistic religion chances are they'd call themselves something else

I'd think

Edited by Specta

Sure, thanks. I should try and work this out with myself, then go start evangelizing to them.

Please don't.

Other people's religious beliefs are not your business

Edited by Nobody

Doesn't the Gospel say that I should?

are you being an edgy antitheist cunt or an unironic unwanted-preacher cunt

if they were buddhist then i suspect they would say that

they

were

buddhist

every atheist should clearly identify themselves to you as Irreligious Secular Gnostics that would make things much easier for everyone though!!!

I'm confused. Don't the gnostics believe in gods? Like demiurges, and an immaterial god?

I think 'Gnostic' proper noun specifically refers to... whatever you said

but there's also 'gnostic' as in the converse of agnostic - the whole 'agnostic/atheist/theist/gnostic' spectrum thing? So like idk, gnostic atheist is like 'i definitely reckon there's no gods'

Not claiming to be an expert though, so idk

but there's also 'gnostic' as in the converse of agnostic - the whole 'agnostic/atheist/theist/gnostic' spectrum thing? So like idk, gnostic atheist is like 'i definitely reckon there's no gods'

No, the prefix "a" is what makes agnostic mean "not believing in god".

Iirc it comes from latin and means "without". Gnostic in itself means believing on god

the three wikipedia tabs i have open are 'agnosticism', 'chronic fatigue syndrome' and 'Punctuation (chess)' i'm not entirely certain how this happened

Oh ya, that makes sense. Never thought of it that way before.

No, the prefix "a" is what makes agnostic mean "not believing in god".

Iirc it comes from latin and means "without". Gnostic in itself means believing on god

I'm pretty sure agnostic technically means "without knowledge," not just without (and in and of itself isn't specific to a knowledge/lack of knowledge of god). But ya, whatever.

(the point is you're a cunt)

omg.

Wow topic...

emot-can.gif

I only get annoyed when the atheist gets fundie on me. Like all "shut up, there is no god!" and stuff. Ugh

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

'Gnostic' literally means 'one who knows'. By gnosticism though, we imply a diverse and pretty inconsistent 'tradition' (because not really; 21st century sects of gnosticism are nothing like the ones 2 centuries back which are nothing like the Early Christian gnostics and so on) whose main attribute would be syncretism - the mixture of different religious beliefs by people who tried to combine what they thought were true or good aspects of different mystical systems. Gnosticism existed some time before Christ in a fashion that isn't too hard to extrapolate, and you can find a mention of Simon Magus in the Bible, where he failed conducting a magical trick.

In colloquial usage, if one says 'gnostic', they're usually implying that you blame your problems on yearnings of the flesh instead of facing the simple truth as to their real source. A stereotypical gnostic exhibits the above, plus a bizarre kind of focus on the experience of suffering.

Gnostical systems are highly complex and can vary greatly depending on the author (or spiritual leader or whatever, but the systems people find any semblance of credibility in would be the ones which we know of from the ancient Coptic texts that surfaced in the recent centuries). They exemplify the symbolism found in religions very well, I find, and wouldn't be edible for the mindset of protestant-driven societies where you take things very literally (hence, Western secularism is a very logical conclusion to protestantism, which in itself is a direct descendant of the Roman Catholic vision of the world as an endless court with all the underlying implications). Generally, the application of such knowledge about all the syzygies and whatnot is questionable for most people, but people are different too.

As for gnostics believing in a god or not, it helps to remember that the god of Old Testament is often associated with the person of Satan... Really, it's probably not worth the research unless it's your field of interest or you happen to know somebody connected with any of the relevent sects.