Have your opinion of awakeing changed?

ClassyWolf

Other than that, I do not think anyway who has been paying attention to the story and have completed the game can say that it was anything other than that they enjoyed the journey of the Chrom, Lissa, Fredrick and ofcourse me, Primrose!

Sorry, what? Look, i think the rabid haters are full of shit myself, but come on, they are entitled to their opinions. If they didnt enjoy it for whatever reason, it isnt because they didnt pay attention. Perhaps they were and thats why they thought the story was ass. In fact, most of the naysayers like the game's gameplay but loathe its story. Deal with it.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than that, I do not think anyway who has been paying attention to the story and have completed the game can say that it was anything other than that they enjoyed the journey of the Chrom, Lissa, Fredrick and ofcourse me, Primrose!

On the contrary, the people who dislike the story tend to like it less after paying attention to it and noticing all the flaws. It's not half bad if you simply accept whatever the game throws you without questioning why it's happening and whether it makes sense.

Even though it is a complete ripoff of FE3 and 4(A little letdown, but flattering), and absolutely loving Yen'Fey, Say'ri, Emmeryn and Aversa's stories...I still love it to pieces despite it's flaws with the story that some point out. Even so, the story's alright in my book.

On the contrary, the people who dislike the story tend to like it less after paying attention to it and noticing all the flaws. It's not half bad if you simply accept whatever the game throws you without questioning why it's happening and whether it makes sense.

Why should we then not pay atention to it and just call it one of the best fe games? I'm think I can hope for an fe game with at least as good writing as the series tend to have.

(If you have said this allready, sorry, I kinda just glimpsed at the last page)

From my perspective I viewed the original FEs and Awakening like this:

FE4-9= Bland Story now, Great as time passes.

FE13= Bland story now, recycled story plots as time passes.

But just because one factor doesn't work does not mean it's garbage. The game is still enjoyable for what it is.

lol, I picked up this game really late, started a week ago and finished hard/classic recently. This is my first fire emblem game and I like it a lot.

And then I went to Lunatic and now I am not so sure. I haven't read any guides or anything mind you, to not spoil myself, but it seems like Lunatic is a sporting event where Fredrick and Avatar (mostly Fredrick) kills/tank everything while the rest of the team take turns playing with their balls...kinda kills the whole team building atmosphere to me. Does this change for the better later? I don't want to have to grind too much.

There's an entire thread floating around for Lunatic(+) discussion, but how lategame Lunatic turns out is pretty much entirely based on how good your resource management is earlygame. Either way, playing with more than ~6 units is pretty challenging (though also a good deal of fun).

Why should we then not pay atention to it and just call it one of the best fe games? I'm think I can hope for an fe game with at least as good writing as the series tend to have.

(If you have said this allready, sorry, I kinda just glimpsed at the last page)

I'm not even going to pretend that any FE title had good writing. Story? Eh, I for one think no, but many will disagree with me. I find that few of them have stories that I would look at more than once. Characters? Sure. FE has had strong characters, many stronger than the ones in Awakening. Writing? No. No, no, no, no. The writing has always been passable at best.

I'm not even going to pretend that any FE title had good writing. Story? Eh, I for one think no, but many will disagree with me. I find that few of them have stories that I would look at more than once. Characters? Sure. FE has had strong characters, many stronger than the ones in Awakening. Writing? No. No, no, no, no. The writing has always been passable at best.

Compared to most games, especially Nintendo games, FE has great story and writing and characters.

Even without comparing, that's a very opinion heavy statement anyway.

If I'm saying something wrong (like mistaking story for writing), sorry, english isn't my native language.

But really?, you think none of the fire emblem games have better story or writing than awakening?... I know fire emblem doesen't have groundbreaking stories, but objectivly speaking (like looking at story, progression, pacing, character etc.), I can tell you this isn't a high point for the series, heck, shadow dragon got some things better (like the pacing and progression of the story).

I definitely don't think it's one of the better games in the series (there are a LOT of ways I'd prefer it emulated older games instead of being a complete grindfest), but I can enjoy it, at least.

Lastly, one of the other elements that I believe contribute to a sub-par story is that its most fragile component - the dialogue itself - was perhaps damaged in translation when it set out overseas. I sincerely believe (and hope that it is true) that the Japanese versions of the characters were much more fleshed out, their dialogue much more attuned to their personalities than the ones weve received on our end (I am looking at you Sayri and Chrom).

Really?

...not to me. They seemed more bland and generic. The opposite of what you're saying.

There are certain support conversations that were changed and seemed a little "meh" due to censorship... But the main story was just as bland in Japanese.

It's not the translation.

Sairi/Say'ri's samurai girl personality could only be taken so far. But the localization took a different interpretation of it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

But really?, you think none of the fire emblem games have better story or writing than awakening?... I know fire emblem doesen't have groundbreaking stories, but objectivly speaking (like looking at story, progression, pacing, character etc.), I can tell you this isn't a high point for the series, heck, shadow dragon got some things better (like the pacing and progression of the story).

To the contrary, I think Awakening's story is cliche, convoluted, with more holes than swiss cheese, which is an apt description considering how cheesy the lines in it are, with some characters that I flat out hate, *cough*I am your father* cough. That being said, most, because I said most, or the story's for the other FE games are pretty much just as awful, to me. As for the writing, that has certainly improved if anything. Time has gone on, the team is more experienced. The quality of writing however, has little to do with the quality of the story once presentation is done. Scrap it down to concepts, as I do anyway. FE: A follows the standard FE formula of teenagers-&-mid-twenties save the world with Dragons in the background. The passing of the story doesn't change the fact that the story from a lot of previous FE games are awful, I love them regardless, but still. I like the story of Sacred Stones and GotHW much more, even if the latter made me scratch my head a little with it's lolpassing and concepts, but when it came to writing, it's nothing I'd give the Neustadt.

That being said, I don't play FE for the story.

That being said, I don't play FE for the story.

Pretty much this. All of the Fire Emblem games have the same overarching concepts. Some just pull it off better than others. Geneology was different for the first half, but the second half quickly devolved into typical FE fare.

That said, the writing in Awakening, I find better than most. It's obvious the translation/localization teams have more fun now with a lot less stupid shit like crackers or moldy onions getting in the way (seriously, that stuff was laughably bad).

Compared to most games, especially Nintendo games, FE has great story and writing and characters.

Even without comparing, that's a very opinion heavy statement anyway.

Actually not really. FE has pretty basic and run-of-the-mill medieval warfare stories with a bunch of high fantasy in it. Its really nothing groundbreaking and only mildly interesting. We can argue which FE has the best story within the series itself, but compared to other story-heavy games, FE is pretty mid-tier. FE4's story is probably the grittiest out of the lot and this is likely why its a favorite among the fanbase. Tellius is really rather strong in the series as story goes even when RD's final stretches get awkward. You take FE stories out of its own series and compare other RPGs to it, yeah no... FE cant match games like Xenoblade. No wai.

Really?

...not to me. They seemed more bland and generic. The opposite of what you're saying.

There are certain support conversations that were changed and seemed a little "meh" due to censorship... But the main story was just as bland in Japanese.

It's not the translation.

Sairi/Say'ri's samurai girl personality could only be taken so far. But the localization took a different interpretation of it.

Hey Rey, question time: You know how in the localization, theres a bunch of old timey medieval slang and terms being tossed around? Did the Japanese script have this sort of thing too? Like was there terms used in old timey Japan? Or was it just basic almost modern terms?

I think its downright hilarious that Say'ri who looks (and pretty much acts) like full feudal Japanese, speaks in Shakespearian/Antiquated English. Talk about a culture clash! I like her lines, but coupled with her appearance...its loooooool!

It's obvious the translation/localization teams have more fun now with a lot less stupid shit like crackers or moldy onions getting in the way (seriously, that stuff was laughably bad).

Hey dont be hatin' on the hornet hairs! That shit's hilarious! <3

Actually not really. FE has pretty basic and run-of-the-mill medieval warfare stories with a bunch of high fantasy in it. Its really nothing groundbreaking and only mildly interesting.

I think the key bit there was "compared to other Nintendo games". Go ahead and look at every other series which Nintendo seems to consider in it's "main cast" (hint: anything that's made it into SSB) and FE actually turns up near the top of the list for story. It may not be a masterpiece, but it's a lot better than plumbers saving princesses, gorillas vs vikings, and kids running around beating up incompetent crime syndicates.

No, he said "Most games, especially Nintendo games." Hes putting emphasis on Nintendo, yes, but is also saying "Most games".

Besides, Paper Mario says hi. (Super Paper Mario had some of the best writing and story in a Nintendo franchise.) Despite what a bad game Skyward Sword was, it had a solid story.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Go ahead.

FE has relatively straightforward plots. Straightforward is underrated.

I think you're confusing straightfowardness with simplicity (in which beauty can be found, as they say)...

Straightforward IS pretty boring. But, there's beauty in simplicity.

The problem with Awakening is that it's plot is NOT simple in all the wrong ways.

...or, if you prefer, in other ways (still wrong) it's TOO simple (which can also be a problem).

I think you're confusing straightfowardness with simplicity (in which beauty can be found, as they say)...

Straightforward IS pretty boring. But, there's beauty in simplicity.

The problem with Awakening is that it's plot is NOT simple in all the wrong ways.

...or, if you prefer, in other ways (still wrong) it's TOO simple (which can also be a problem).

You're partially right. I think straightforward and simplicity are similar enough concepts but with some key differences that work well together.

Awakening's plot is not simple or straightfoward. It crams 4 arcs (3 main + 1 Timetravel) into 1 game when each of those 3 main arcs could be an entire game. In fact, all 3 of those arc ARE games. The 3 arcs of Awakening are basically the plots of PoR, Gaiden and Mystery Book 2 respectively crammed into 1 single story.