Sword of Seals VS Binding Blade

VincentASM

123 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sword of Seals
    • Binding Blade
    • (No Opinion)

Congratulations for aiming at something I wasn't even talking about. The sword is titled Sword of Seals. The game is titled Binding Blade. You didn't refute my point, you just magnified it. And even did so with a loud condescending weeb laugh.

:B

Klok they have the same name in japanese, stahp pls. The fan translation named them differently due to spacing issues.

Also, FE wiki is very silly pls don't use it for name arguments, at least.

Edited by L95

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually

Why not rename it

Blade of Bindings

since like, translating and localization works that way from J->E

-snip-

While I am a big fan of mocking people, why are you trying so damn hard to be as condescending as possible? I see the point now that you've posted the Japanese characters, but going back constantly and editing in meme images in every post to try and be funny is really lame. If there's a point you're trying to make with them, it's not coming out as intended.

Anyway, the japanese characters are the same so I can see now how the sword and title are identical for FE6 while not so for FE7. That's a very strange inconsistency that would in fact allow for the Sword of Seals title. Still gonna stick with Binding Blade for the title though, it's officialized in multiple games. Not so sure about the ingame sword anymore, though SSBM does make a strong case for a different name for the sword compared to the title.

I think 'Binding Blade' has a nice ring to it :P

And it was made 'official' in Awakening, which I favour over SSBM which I consider a 'spin-off' game of sorts.

While I am a big fan of mocking people, why are you trying so damn hard to be as condescending as possible? I see the point now that you've posted the Japanese characters, but going back constantly and editing in meme images in every post to try and be funny is really lame. If there's a point you're trying to make with them, it's not coming out as intended.

I'm going to man up here and apologize, as I could have gone with a different tone.

I'm a condescending jerk on many occasions and it was definitely uncalled for you. I'm sorry.

though SSBM does make a strong case for a different name for the sword compared to the title.

However, you're taking your interpretation a bit far there. Take it from someone who does know Japanese... you're reading into it too much.

They retconned Melee's name for the game and the item with Brawl as "The Binding Blade", the name of the game and the item formerly "Sword of Seals" (which the fan translators for FE6 used), from Melee. It's as simple as that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

BTW.

Melee and Brawl suck when it comes to name consistency.

You can tell they weren't properly co-ordinating with the FE team when they failed to use already-localised names in Brawl, like the song names from FE10. Anyone worth their salt should have spotted that "Dark Knight" was meant to be "Black Knight".

Also they didn't account for the FE10 localisation team swapping the names of the Alondite and Ettard swords.

If that's the case then calling it Binding Blade in both cases is correct. Even so...

FE7 = Blazing Sword, Durandal.

FE6 = Binding Blade, Binding Blade.

Feels weird, man. Plus, calling it the Sword of Seals ingame sounds amazing. More uses and it actually WOULD be amazing.

Edited by Klok

You know what, let's just mix both, so everyone will be happy.

So either Blade of Seals or Binding Sword.

We also abandoned exxaccus (I know, it's somehow a different issue), so that's not as if we can't accept another change.

Though I will probably calls it Blinding Blade at least once.

My heart would choose Sword of seals, but my brain chose Binding Blade

Slightly off-topic now, but we abandoned Exaccus because it was plain wrong.

Plus Eckesachs looks cooler : D

Now if only somebody would change Tate to something more closely representing the kana... But then again, Tate's a nice name and close enough.

If that's the case then calling it Binding Blade in both cases is correct. Even so...

FE7 = Binding Blade, Durandal.

FE6 = Binding Blade, Binding Blade.

Feels weird, man.

If it makes you feel better, the Binding Blade was possibly going to be named Hartmut (like the hero). So it would have been the Binding Blade, Hartmut.

Presumably they dropped the name so it mirrored FE3's Binding Shield.

Now if only somebody would change Tate to something more closely representing the kana... But then again, Tate's a nice name and close enough.

The worst part is I always pun that name when she gets hit.

お前の力この程度か、テイト? (Is that all you've got, Tate?)

...except it really doesn't work because it's "Thitto" instead of "Teito" (Tate) close to "Teido".

As for the sword name itself, Vincent... I feel like it's just one of those things.

Like how "Divine Dragon King" for Shadow Dragon.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Slightly off-topic now, but we abandoned Exaccus because it was plain wrong.

Plus Eckesachs looks cooler : D

If it makes you feel better, the Binding Blade was possibly going to be named Hartmut (like the hero). So it would have been the Binding Blade, Hartmut.

Presumably they dropped the name so it mirrored FE3's Binding Shield.

The worst part is I always pun that name when she gets hit.

お前の力この程度か、テイト? (Is that all you've got, Tate?)

...except it really doesn't work because it's "Thitto" instead of "Teito" (Tate) close to "Teido".

As for the sword name itself, Vincent... I feel like it's just one of those things.

Like how "Divine Dragon King" for Shadow Dragon.

ティト could be Tyto, Teito, Tate, or a couple others. Tate is probably the most aesthetically/visually pleasing to write.

Edited by Siuloir

I personally prefer Sword of Seals, but Binding Blade is still a pretty awesome name. I'll still love the game either way.

A bit off topic, but I'm not sure where else to post it: I may be the only one, but what do you think of changing the 'New Mystery of the Emblem' in the favorite FE game section to 'Heroes of Light and Shadow'? I think it sounds and looks better might be better to more differentiate it from FE3, but then again, I could be alone on this.

Sword of Seals. Prior to this thread, I heard it be called Binding Blade all of 2 times, and FE6, and Sword of Seals dozens of times. It'd feel awkward to change to Binding Blade. Unless the game gets a remake with a definite translation and localisation, keep SoS.

Also, I think Sword of Seals is shinier than Binding Blade. It's more of an attention grabber.

Also they didn't account for the FE10 localisation team swapping the names of the Alondite and Ettard swords.

That's only in the NA version. In the PAL version, they fixed it.

Hey, I said I "kind of like it".

Besides, I don't *always* do what I want on my site. Sometimes I do, but if I always did what I want, this topic wouldn't even be here : P

a likely story :P

also all this talk about Tate reminds me of how a few months ago there was a bit of wondering about the same thing in the FE6 patch thread, and i think we jokingly concluded that she and Deke would be more accurately translated as "tit" and "dick"

good times

a likely story :P

also all this talk about Tate reminds me of how a few months ago there was a bit of wondering about the same thing in the FE6 patch thread, and i think we jokingly concluded that she and Deke would be more accurately translated as "tit" and "dick"

good times

dMka5Uu.png

ティト Tito

xxeT8Km.png

ディーク Diiku

Seems legit.

I think the more important thing here, Vincent, is to ask why. Is the occurance of people coming in asking about Binding Blade so big from a random note in a trophy from a game about a decade old really that large?

I have no opinion on it, and I get that it's after the April Fools joke, but I can't help but wonder why it's suddenly a topic of discussion, Anyone new that comes in would just learn that Binding Blade and Sword of Seals are one in the same.

Is there something you know that we don't, Vincyman?

Is there something you know that we don't, Vincyman?

From your post, it sounds like there's something we all know that you don't: Binding Blade is used in Awakening.

I voted The Binding Blade. I think it sounds way better (as I usually think with English names), and it's the name the localization used in Brawl and Awakening. So to me, it's the localized, official English name.