Mario Kart 8

kingddd

Where did you heard that from? By the way, where was this mentioned that Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Birdo, and some of the rest were cut for Mario Kart 8?

The final roster was shown weeks ago with very mixed and negative reaction.

C1muc6g.png

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C1muc6g.png

I dislike how Diddy Kong, Birdo, and Bowser Jr. were cut. It feels awkward without them. And I really don't like the Koopalings. They should've stuck with the old cast, and throw in a few new characters. DK, Yoshi, and Bowser just lost their partners from Double Dash :cry:

But still, TOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADETTE! So glad she wasn't cut. I wouldn't get Mario Kart 8 if she wasn't there.

I dislike how Diddy Kong, Birdo, and Bowser Jr. were cut. It feels awkward without them. And I really don't like the Koopalings. They should've stuck with the old cast, and throw in a few new characters. DK, Yoshi, and Bowser just lost their partners from Double Dash :cry:

The thing is the majority of the characters in Mario Kart Wii's were just taken from double dash and slapped into the game. It's why so many characters returned because they didn't have to do as much new animations, character models and assets. A lot of them were reused which allowed them to have more development time to create some extra characters. Most of them were just modified versions of one and another. You can see this by comparing the character selection animation in the Wii version and the Double Dash version.

With Mario Kart 8 they have to make completely new models and reanimate every single character in the entire game just like 7 instead of just porting models from the previous game. Of course to save development time, they just took some of the already created HD models modified it and slap it onto the game. Which is why we have so many baby characters, koopalings and a retextured peach just like Metal Mario which I still find it is one of the dumbest characters included in Mario Kart 7.

This is what I see in this roster. Could have been so much better.

Edited by kingddd

C1muc6g.png

Did they really mention it in the Direct trailer or was it leaked? I don't recall heared or they mentioned its showed as the final.

Edited by King Marth 64

Did they really mention it in the Direct trailer or was it leaked? I don't recall heared or they mentioned its showed as the final.

it wasn't leaked. The reviewers were given copies of the game very early and they showed off all the characters in their official website.

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/drivers/

it wasn't leaked. The reviewers were given copies of the game very early and they showed off all the characters in their official website.

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/drivers/

Wait? Did the reviewers mentioned in Mario Kart 8 that they unlocked all the drivers that were just the same ones that were already shown from the trailer and the website earlier and then, that's it? Plus, which of the reviewers did it mentioned that they just unlocked all the drivers from the game? I kinda wanted to see where they mentioned this at.

Edited by King Marth 64

Wait? Did the reviewers mentioned in Mario Kart 8 that they unlocked all the drivers that were just the same ones that were already shown from the trailer and the website earlier and then, that's it?

Yes and the Mario Kart 8 Direct revealed all the unlockable characters. What you see from the screenshot above is literally the final roster of the game. Nothing more nothing less.

Plus, which of the reviewers did it mentioned that they just unlocked all the drivers from the game? I kinda wanted to see where they mentioned this at.

All reviewers confirmed it. For example Ign's review here @2:03

Edited by kingddd

I got to play the full game this past weekend thanks to Nintendo of Canada. The game is phenomenal and I hope you guys check it out when it comes out on Friday.

With regards to the roster, the guys I talked to told me that they aren't huge fans of the character roster but they told me that what we have is the final roster.

Although I admit the roster could be a lot better (specifically with the babies and Metal characters. The Koopalings I don't mind since it's not like making, modelling, and voicing all 7 of them was done out of convenience or laziness since their characteristics vary between each other a lot more than the babies or metal characters), I don't particularly mind since it's not like they've omitted any of the absolute staple characters (like the 8 characters in the Mario Kart 64 cast) or the "secondary staples" (like Koopa, Daisy, and Waluigi).

Also, kingddd, I hope you don't mind if I post a Mario Kart youtube video for each day of the 3 day countdown for Mario Kart 8, to celebrate its launch:

I got to play the full game this past weekend thanks to Nintendo of Canada. The game is phenomenal and I hope you guys check it out when it comes out on Friday.

With regards to the roster, the guys I talked to told me that they aren't huge fans of the character roster but they told me that what we have is the final roster.

My friend only told me about Mario Kart 8 being playable at Best Buy on the phone the exact time the event was going on... >_<

Seriously, how did you find out about Mario Kart 8 being playable at Best Buy? Whatever your Nintendo news source is, I just might have to switch to that instead of GoNintendo, since GoNintendo said nothing about the Mario Kart 8 event being available in Canada.

Man, I didn't realize MK8 made so many cuts. Diddy, Bowser Jr., Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Birdo, why did they have to be taken out? :/

Edited by Anacybele

Also, kingddd, I hope you don't mind if I post a Mario Kart youtube video for each day of the 3 day countdown for Mario Kart 8, to celebrate its launch:

don't mind. I'll miss the days of competitive Funky Kong Bike the game

Although I admit the roster could be a lot better (specifically with the babies and Metal characters. The Koopalings I don't mind since it's not like making, modelling, and voicing all 7 of them was done out of convenience or laziness since their characteristics vary between each other a lot more than the babies or metal characters), I don't particularly mind since it's not like they've omitted any of the absolute staple characters (like the 8 characters in the Mario Kart 64 cast) or the "secondary staples" (like Koopa, Daisy, and Waluigi).

My friend only told me about Mario Kart 8 being playable at Best Buy on the phone the exact time the event was going on... >_<

Seriously, how did you find out about Mario Kart 8 being playable at Best Buy? Whatever your Nintendo news source is, I just might have to switch to that instead of GoNintendo, since GoNintendo said nothing about the Mario Kart 8 event being available in Canada.

You live in Canada?

I pretty much just walked into Best Buy on the weekend and saw it. Turned out they had the whole game so I got to play it all. So uh... not much of a news source.

Wait? Did the reviewers mentioned in Mario Kart 8 that they unlocked all the drivers that were just the same ones that were already shown from the trailer and the website earlier and then, that's it? Plus, which of the reviewers did it mentioned that they just unlocked all the drivers from the game? I kinda wanted to see where they mentioned this at.

You know, you could check the Miiverse community for this game and ask the hundreds of people who have played the game, unlocked all characters and stamps, and posted lots of game screenshots. Unless Nintendo releases a patch or DLC later on, the roster is as good as final.

You live in Canada?

I pretty much just walked into Best Buy on the weekend and saw it. Turned out they had the whole game so I got to play it all. So uh... not much of a news source.

Yep.

You sure got lucky walking in right when the event was happening. Well, seeing how the game was coming out around a week later at the time, it's not a major loss for me. I've even got the game pre-ordered at PnP Games and everything.

don't mind. I'll miss the days of competitive Funky Kong Bike the game

Biker Funky Kong was that prominent even in online matches? I thought it was just for Time Trials that he was heavily used...

Edited by Randoman

Sherbet Land is literally the best course in the game.

Out of the 16 retro courses, I think it's the track that benefited the most from the new mechanics. I honestly hated the course in Double Dash but I love it here. Driving on the cave walls is a genius idea and the underwater caverns blew my mind in terms of how much of a change they bring to the gameplay. Considering all 32 tracks, Sherbet Land was easily my favorite to play on.

I also really like Dolphin Shoals, Mount Wario, GCN Dry Dry Desert and Cloudtop Cruise. A lot of the tracks in this game are really good. What are some of your favorites?

For the "two days left for Mario Kart 8" mark, I'm posting a Remi Gaillard Mario Kart video:

What are some of your favorites?

I can't say what my favourite Mario Kart 8 tracks as of now since I haven't played it, but I'll probably have some picked out after this weekend. But based on looks alone, Electrodome seems really awesome and cool looking.

Also, what do you personally think of the new Rainbow Road? I'm partly skeptical on it being a space station, but I'll reserve my full judgement for when I see the track fully myself and try it out.

Edited by Randoman

I have a request for the people that are getting Mario Kart 8 in the next week: could you keep track of what order you happen to unlock the characters in? I'm wanting to see if the "random character unlocking" is actually random or not. I mean, there might be some sort of set pattern like always unlocking a koopa kid first or always unlocking the metal characters last. I'll be keeping track of the order I unlock characters in as well, but I can only do so much observation with one save file available.

My shop had the game 2 days earlier so I managed to take a copy of Mario Kart 8 home with me. I played 3 races as a tryout and will play some more once my brother gets home.

I heard Europe had the most streetdates broken. Really sucks seeing all these people playing it really early.

I have a request for the people that are getting Mario Kart 8 in the next week: could you keep track of what order you happen to unlock the characters in? I'm wanting to see if the "random character unlocking" is actually random or not. I mean, there might be some sort of set pattern like always unlocking a koopa kid first or always unlocking the metal characters last. I'll be keeping track of the order I unlock characters in as well, but I can only do so much observation with one save file available.

I managed to do 3 grand prix races today. I unlocked Metal Mario first, followed by Wendy and later I managed to unlock Lemmy as well. Lemmy's my favourite newcomer so i'm glad I got him early.

Perhaps I just got lucky, but the game seems a little more generous with items at higher places. I got several powerful weapons in third or second place like the Piranha plant. I did get a lot of the more mundane weapons in lower spots though and first place gets mostly coins, which sucks a little.

One small nitpick is that there doesn't seem to be an award ceremony anymore. I know it doesn't really add much to the game, but Is still miss it.

Edited by Sasori

Well, Mario Kart 8 DLC is officially confirmed:

007(4).jpg

I'm not sure what to think of this...

Also, to finish my video Mario Kart 8 countdown, I'll post my personal favourite Mario Kart fan video:

I managed to do 3 grand prix races today. I unlocked Metal Mario first, followed by Wendy and later I managed to unlock Lemmy as well. Lemmy's my favourite newcomer so i'm glad I got him early.

Perhaps I just got lucky, but the game seems a little more generous with items at higher places. I got several powerful weapons in third or second place like the Piranha plant. I did get a lot of the more mundane weapons in lower spots though and first place gets mostly coins, which sucks a little.

One small nitpick is that there doesn't seem to be an award ceremony anymore. I know it doesn't really add much to the game, but Is still miss it.

Thanks for the info!

...I was hoping that Metal characters would be among the last to be unlocked. So you've unlocked one character after every Grand Prix so far? There's only 14 unlockable characters, so I wonder if they'll change it up in later CCs...

Glad to know item variety is more generous in higher places. I'm kind of dreading getting nothing but coins in first place, though. I thought I was done with that for good after Super Mario Kart...

No award ceremony? That's a shame. So then they just give you the trophy and a results screen or something after the 4 races?