Mario Kart 8

kingddd

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a request for the people that are getting Mario Kart 8 in the next week: could you keep track of what order you happen to unlock the characters in? I'm wanting to see if the "random character unlocking" is actually random or not. I mean, there might be some sort of set pattern like always unlocking a koopa kid first or always unlocking the metal characters last. I'll be keeping track of the order I unlock characters in as well, but I can only do so much observation with one save file available.

My order of unlock so far is:

Morton, Ludwig, Iggy, Metal Mario, Larry and Roy. All on 50cc went through mushroom then played all four retro and then flower cup.

My unlocks so far were Rosalina, Roy, Pink Gold Peach, Ludwig, Larry, and Metal Mario. I haven't cleared every cup yet but I think that cements things as being random unlocks?

Edit: And yes I'm playing through 50 cc first.

Edited by Samias

Unlock order so far: Metal Mario, Toadette, Lemmy, Larry, Pink Gold Peach, Wendy, Lakitu, Mii, Baby Rosalina, Rosalina.

Edited by Jave

welp got my last unlock and it's toadette. Completed all of 100cc with my sister. All I can say is, this game has exceeded my expectations. Much better than 7 by a large margin. I love the asthetics, I love the track design and the racing just feels great.

I had a lot of fun online even if I did pretty poorly.

Spent a good... 6 hours playing this today.

I am in LOVE.

Also character unlock order was Morton, Lemmy, Roy, Lakitu, Wendy, Pink Gold Peach, Ludwig, Mii (always unlocked 8th), Rosalina, Toadette, Larry, Iggy, Baby Rosalina, Metal Mario.

Star Cup is my favourite cup. Every track is exceptionaly cool, but Mount Wario is FANTASTIC.

Actually for most of the retro cups I'm eeehh on the selection and felt 7 did a better job picking memorable tracks, but I like the revamped Moo Moo Meadows and Royal Raceway quite a lot anyway.

Mount Wario is FANTASTIC.

This.

I have a hard time coming up with tracks in the entire series that I like more than Mount Wario. All I can come up with is DK Mountain, Wario Colosseum and Rosalina's Ice World.

Someone feel like organizing a SFer tournament?

This.

I have a hard time coming up with tracks in the entire series that I like more than Mount Wario. All I can come up with is DK Mountain, Wario Colosseum and Rosalina's Ice World.

Someone feel like organizing a SFer tournament?

We'll need to think of an appropriate time since communities can now preset tournament times and days.

Edited by kingddd

Spent a good... 6 hours playing this today.

I am in LOVE.

Also character unlock order was Morton, Lemmy, Roy, Lakitu, Wendy, Pink Gold Peach, Ludwig, Mii (always unlocked 8th), Rosalina, Toadette, Larry, Iggy, Baby Rosalina, Metal Mario.

Does the order of unlocking change for everyone?

I got Mario Kart 8 today and have been playing it like crazy with my siblings. I have to say, it's really awesome and they've really polished up and fixed things like the item balance. Falling behind from 1st due to Blue Shells is hardly an issue now compared to past games, since they only show up once or twice a match from what I've seen. Battle Mode I'll admit may be a weak area for most, but my siblings and I mostly just sticks to racing anyways, so I'm not personally bothered by it too much.

Multiplayer Grand Prix is a blast and it's so good to have it back and be able to make progress unlocking things in Grand Prix with my siblings again. What my siblings and I are doing for the Grand Prix races is purposely letting only one of us constantly get 1st in the races while everyone else supports the 1st place person by keeping the AI opponents back. It may sound cheap and like overkill, I'll admit, but since Star Rankings are for individual players only and are not team based, we figured we might as well work as a team and let 1 person get all the points so we can acquire the star ranks for 100% completion. Also, it gets suprisingly hard at times to protect the 1st place person, especially when the AI gets really nice items.

Anyways, here's my character unlock order:

1. Iggy
2. Lemmy
3. Rosalina
4. Toadette
5. Morton
6. Wendy
7. Roy
8. Mii
9. Pink Gold Peach
10. Larry
11. Ludwig
12. Baby Rosalina
13. Metal Mario
14. Lakitu

I wanted Rosalina and Iggy as my first unlocks, so I'm really happy with my unlock order. On a side note, after unlocking the 7th character, I thought I'd experiment and skip the Lightning Cup and go to 100cc Mushroom Cup to see Mii wouldn't be the next character unlocked, since after hearing Chiko mention Mii is always unlocked 8th, I thought that Mii's unlocking might be based on finishing all 8 cups on the same cc (like in Mario Kart 7) rather than just finishing any 8 cups on any cc. It turns out that my theory was wrong and any 8 cups on any cc unlocks Mii.

Also, thanks to all of you that posted your unlock order! I didn't expect to receive so many unlock order lists, though I'm definitely not complaining.

Also, to those that aren't happy about all the playable babies, metal characters, or all the reoccurring veteran cuts (like Diddy King and King Boo), I just want to throw it out there that you can easily mention it to Nintendo in your Club Nintendo survey of the game. I plan on doing just that once I play the game more and find more things to suggest to improve future Mario Kart games. I want to wait a bit for my Club Nintendo survey, since I sent my Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze survey too early and wasn't able to suggest making the Kong Pow notifier more noticable and visible and giving the Bonus Level areas more variety.

I just want to throw it out there that you can easily mention it to Nintendo in your Club Nintendo survey of the game. I plan on doing just that once I play the game more and find more things to suggest to improve future Mario Kart games. I want to wait a bit for my Club Nintendo survey, since I sent my Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze survey too early and wasn't able to suggest making the Kong Pow notifier more noticable and visible and giving the Bonus Level areas more variety.

I couldn't even log onto Club Nintendo because everyone is trying to register their MK8 copy and getting their free game. The traffic is insane right now.

Unlock order so far: Metal Mario, Toadette, Lemmy, Larry, Pink Gold Peach, Wendy, Lakitu, Mii, Baby Rosalina, Rosalina.

Ludwig, Morton, Iggy, Roy, and I'm done unlocking characters. Now to collect all the stamps.

Anyone notice how much bigger the greenshells seem to be in this game? It looks like they buffed them completely and they move a lot faster than previous iteration. Greenshells have screwed me over in races more than any other item in this game.

Lets see if I remember my unlock orders correctly.

1. Metal Mario

2. Wendy

3. Lemmy

4. Ludwig

5. Rosalina

6. Morton

7. Pink gold Peach

8. Mii

9. Toadette

My favourite stage so far is Shy Guy fall, followed by Mount Wario and the course in the clouds.

I've done some online matches and i'm surprised to see i'm doing decently on them. I rarely get in first, but so far I have never dropped behind 8th place.

Also does anyone thing Dry Bowser will be a pretty likely candidate for Dlc? He does have a stage named after him and I believe there's one add saying undead motors with a Bowser head on it. I haven't spotted any other clues like that yet.

Edited by Sasori

Nintendo has always done product placements. It's nothing special really.

t0ggvTn.jpg

Oh my god. That's so cute!

When my brother and I get Mario Kart 8, I really hope we unlock Toadette first. But at least Toad is a default character.

My hands are so sore from all the Mario Kart 8 I've been playing this weekend. XD

Anyways, I just got all 32 Gold Cups in Mario Kart 8, and I just need to star rank all 32 cups (I've only got to star rank 9 more of them), beat all the normal Time Trial Ghosts (I think I've beaten 8 of them so far), and get 10,000 to unlock all the kart parts (I was at 2,200 or something like that).

150cc and Mirror were... I don't know how to explain it. You still need to hope the enemies don't get lucky with items, but instead you need to worry about Bananas and Green Shells (whether they're shot, dropped off, or spinning around the AI) instead of Blue Shells. Fortunately, if you've way past everyone else and in 1st, even the rare Blue Shell won't be enough to take you down too far, assuming you don't mess up and hit walls or fall off track. I'm so glad they made Fishing Lakitu much faster.

My hands are so sore from all the Mario Kart 8 I've been playing this weekend. XD

Anyways, I just got all 32 Gold Cups in Mario Kart 8, and I just need to star rank all 32 cups (I've only got to star rank 9 more of them), beat all the normal Time Trial Ghosts (I think I've beaten 8 of them so far), and get 10,000 to unlock all the kart parts (I was at 2,200 or something like that).

150cc and Mirror were... I don't know how to explain it. You still need to hope the enemies don't get lucky with items, but instead you need to worry about Bananas and Green Shells (whether they're shot, dropped off, or spinning around the AI) instead of Blue Shells. Fortunately, if you've way past everyone else and in 1st, even the rare Blue Shell won't be enough to take you down too far, assuming you don't mess up and hit walls or fall off track. I'm so glad they made Fishing Lakitu much faster.

In 150cc and Mirror you basically just want to stay away from 5th and 6th place as they configured the item balance significantly that you won't always get good stuff in those positions often. Heck I gotten single green shells 4 times in a row while in 11th place once.

Blue Shells have become less of a problem for me now ever since the super horn was introduced. It felt sooooooooo good to finally destroy those annoying raging items. Unfortunately Green shells are the items that will dominantly mess you up the most since they made the AI much more smarter at sniping their opponents with them.

Also I am really glad Star Ranks are now determined by points rather than hoping you get that 3 star rank even if you do win all four races.

While playing online, I swear that red shell at @0:20-0:26 just loves me.

Edited by kingddd

(didn't know the game had replays, if that's what they are. cool addition) (unless it's not a new addition etc)

Edited by Rehab

(didn't know the game had replays, if that's what they are. cool addition) (unless it's not a new addition etc)

It's had replays since Mario Kart Super Circuit it just didn't allow you to save them. Also

That gif and vid spawned this:

You do get a lot of neat and funny moments now though.

iblBT9WpRgetFe.gif

Edited by kingddd