Do you think FE 14 will be a sequel to awakening?

ClassyWolf

Do I want it to be? Hell no.

For all of the good things that FE13 did gameplay-wise, looking back on it now after the long "hype train" period I silently rode on... the story was a narrative abomination. Like, it was just straight-up BAD.

[spoiler=Just in case you have yet to play Awakening, and you so choose to.]I mean, it starts out well enough, but once Valm rolls around, the story goes straight in the shitter. The remaining characters - even the important ones like Lissa/Frederick/Basilio/Flavia/Chrom's wife - all take a backseat to Chrom & the Avatar, especially with the whole "Hierophant" thing in Chapter 13. And even that goes tits up since they then proceed to ignore it until they bust out the Diabolus Ex Machina after Validar dies.

Even the supports are kind of... eh. Some are very good - Gaius/Maribelle among them - but others just kinda fall flat on their face, such as the Male!MU/Cordelia supports, which don't feel romantic. It's like... one minute, you're talking about making spears, the next you've got some firecrotch angsting, and then BOOM! Married with two kids.

That said... do I think that they'll go with an FE13 sequel? It's entirely possible.

Maybe this piss-poor narrative is some ass-backwards ploy to drum up interest in a sequel or prequel so that they don't have to remake Jugdral (which, let's face it, should be what actually happens). Or maybe Nintendo will just take the FE:A cast and run with them - like Squeenix did with FF7 or Atlus did with Personas 3 & 4 - to print more money.

Personally, I hope to god an Awakening stays sleeping.

Edited by Polydeuces

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I...don't understand. >_<

I liked Tellius's choices, especially since IS went with the awesome Zihark over the inferior Mia. :D

I'm talking about Marisa.

I want an entirely new universe in the next FE game. With as little references to Awakening as possible. But that's asking for a miracle.

It'd also be nice if the series went back to "strategy RPG" instead of remaining a glorified dating sim with an atrocious story and broken gameplay.

Also Mia is a Spotpass character FYI

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

Well she does use her POR image. What if the next game focused on Old Hubba and his wife as they venture through the Outrealms?

I'd play that in an instant.

Maybe this piss-poor narrative is some ass-backwards ploy to drum up interest in a sequel or prequel so that they don't have to remake Jugdral (which, let's face it, should be what actually happens).

And what happens if they remake Jugdral and come up with a bunch of totally unconvincing supports for the characters that don't, you know, talk in the original game but can still get together and bang! make two kids anyway? Or put in a self-insert to make the marriage aspect even more appealing for a new generation of players?

May as well go off in some other direction entirely, IMO.

You are in serious need of exploring the game a little more before making blatant statements.

You are in serious need of finding something better to do than picking on me all the time. I made a simple mistake. So what?

Edited by Anacybele

honestly i really hope it doesn't end up being a remake of anything

like as much as i'd like to see a remake of the Jugdral duology (not that they really need it), the last thing ANY Nintendo franchise needs right now is more fucking remakes or graphical upscales. this rings especially true for Fire Emblem given that, prior to FE13, the only games released in five years were remakes. even FE13 still dangerously toes the nostalgia-prostituting line, given how the overwhelming majority of its DLC revolves around selling nostalgic characters in some form or another

Nintendo's already got a crippling problem with (and an even more crippling negative reputation of) living in the past at the expense of fresh content. we don't need to encourage more of it

If we're just complaining about spotpass choices now can I just say, where's all my dragons? Seriously all the important (and male) manakete's they could have given us? Fae, Myrrh, Morva, Idoun, Nasir, Ena, Kurthnaga,DHEGINSEA and the only one they actually use is Tiki, a character who's already playable in the game. Dragons got completely screwed over in spotpass and DLC in general. I know they couldn't have used every major dragon but they really should have used someone other than child Tiki (as much as I love Tiki, it was still a bad decision). Even if some of them we're enemy only units in DLC I'd be fine with but no, Idoun and Medeus get completely ignored in Awakening despite being final bosses.

(plus it would have been fun to have a tactician Ena or sorcerer Idoun)

Edited by Jotari

If we're just complaining about spotpass choices now can I just say, where's all my dragons? Seriously all the important (and male) manakete's they could have given us? Fae, Myrrh, Morva, Idoun, Nasir, Ena, Kurthnaga,DHEGINSEA and the only one they actually use is Tiki, a character who's already playable in the game. Dragons got completely screwed over in spotpass and DLC in general. I know they couldn't have used every major dragon but they really should have used someone other than child Tiki (as much as I love Tiki, it was still a bad decision). Even if some of them we're enemy only units in DLC I'd be fine with but no, Idoun and Medeus get completely ignored in Awakening despite being final bosses.

(plus it would have been fun to have a tactician Ena or sorcerer Idoun)

But they all would have to wear that loli outfit Nowi uses.

IS might be putting a lot of their attention on SMT x FE at the moment. At least I hope this is the case. We got a teaser trailer for it over a YEAR ago and still haven't heard anything else on it since. Damn it people, what the hell is going on with this title? :(

Edited by Anacybele

It will be hilarious if they pull an FE5 and have FE14 take place DURING FE13.

The Adventures of Basilio!

DO IT NINTENDO!

I wouldn't mind a Tellius sequel, but probably a "next generation" thing with the children of the FE10 cast rather than a straight sequel. Nico and Amy are the main lords.

This would be pretty cool. They already have somewhat of a cast built up. Boyd and Mist's child(ren), Leanne and Naesala's, Sothe and Miccy's, and really any of the Laguz or branded could be brought back without any serious handwaving.

What if the next game focused on Old Hubba and his wife as they venture through the Outrealms?

Yes.

if FE14 is a sequel it better just be expanded Future Past

This would be neat. I very possibly enjoyed those 4 maps more than the entirety of Awakening, and I really enjoyed Awakening.

This would be pretty cool. They already have somewhat of a cast built up. Boyd and Mist's child(ren), Leanne and Naesala's, Sothe and Miccy's, and really any of the Laguz or branded could be brought back without any serious handwaving.

And they would have to entirely canonize a lot of pairings and step on a lot of people's toes, which IS does not do. They may make one or two pairings in a game 100% canon (like Pent x Louise and Bartre x Karla in FE7, Marth x Caeda in FE1, and Sigurd x Deirdre in FE4), but not every single one.

Edited by Anacybele

And they would have to entirely canonize a lot of pairings and step on a lot of people's toes, which IS does not do. They may make one or two pairings in a game 100% canon (like Pent x Louise and Bartre x Karla in FE7, Marth x Caeda in FE1, and Sigurd x Deirdre in FE4), but not every single one.

They pretty much canonized the entire Fe4 cast with Fe5 and then backed up most of those decisions with the mangas.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if we're even going to get another FE. Wouldn't we have heard something by now, if a game was in the works?

Nintendo had a whole thing with how the series was actually gonna be canned if Awakening didn't sell as good as it did. If the series was over they probably wouldn't have put that out there.

They pretty much canonized the entire Fe4 cast with Fe5 and then backed up most of those decisions with the mangas.

What Jotari said is true, plus most of the characters in RD really only had forever alone or one pairing option. The only character with multiple pairings that comes to mind is Ike. They could invent a few more based off of implications (like IIRC Marcia x Kieran), but they wouldn't really be destroying any potentially canon pairings, just headcanon pairings.

Fun/random thought I had. What if Ike had a bunch of bastard children before he left? I'm talking with like every female character there was some sort of romantic implication with on either end. That'd make Ike x Elincia, Ike x Lethe, Ike x Mia, Ike x Aimee, and I think that's all of them. And each of them thinks they're the heir to the Hero of the Blue Flame and that the others are imposters. That could make for an interesting story.

Also, adult Sanaki would be fun.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Huh? Ike doesn't have any pairings. :/

Soren or Ranulf can leave Tellius with him depending on support level, but these are not paired endings.

Ike having children with multiple women would be fun lol, but I don't think it'd be something he'd do. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Huh? Ike doesn't have any pairings. :/

Soren or Ranulf can leave Tellius with him depending on support level, but these are not paired endings.

I meant paired/shared endings, not necessarily that the characters are romantically linked.

Ike having children with multiple women would be fun lol, but I don't think it'd be something he'd do. xP

Completely agreed. It'd be totally out of left field, but that's part of the fun of it.

What Jotari said is true, plus most of the characters in RD really only had forever alone or one pairing option. The only character with multiple pairings that comes to mind is Ike. They could invent a few more based off of implications (like IIRC Marcia x Kieran), but they wouldn't really be destroying any potentially canon pairings, just headcanon pairings.

Fun/random thought I had. What if Ike had a bunch of bastard children before he left? I'm talking with like every female character there was some sort of romantic implication with on either end. That'd make Ike x Elincia, Ike x Lethe, Ike x Mia, Ike x Aimee, and I think that's all of them. And each of them thinks they're the heir to the Hero of the Blue Flame and that the others are imposters. That could make for an interesting story.

Also, adult Sanaki would be fun.

Screw romantic implication. Ike has a bastard with every female character in Radiant Dawn. Ike X Michaiah Bastard. Ike X Titania Bastard. Ike X Sanaki Bastard (don't think about it). Ike X Sephiran..