I want to get into the Castlevania series...

Knight

Ever since I beat Symphony of the Night, I have been wanting to get deeper into the Castlevania franchise, but there are so many games that I don't know what to play next. I've played the original, as well as Super Castlevania 4, but I think I prefer the Metroidvania style games. I was wondering which game in the series I should get next? I don't mind a challenge. My consoles are 3DS, Wii, PS3, DS and GBA.

Castlevania 1-4 are a must. The GBA games are worth playing too. Mostly Aria. Circle of Moon is kind of an oddball and unforgiving. Harmony of Dissonance is the other oddball but still worth a playthrough maybe. Aria of Sorrow is the basically the best GBA Castlevania game though.

The DSvanias are also fairly solid. The PS2 games are..... I dunno. I'd say Lament of Innocence is better put together than Curse of Darkness. Combat is overall quite good in LoI. Curse of Darkness has a lot of shortcomings but it has its charm.

I'm not too fond of Harmony of Despair. Too much grinding and overall a clusterfuck of a game. So I guess the name fits.

Definitely play the following if you can:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - GBA

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance - GBA

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - GBA

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - DS

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - DS

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - DS

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - PS2

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - PS2

At least play those eight games. If you're into brawlers, you could also check out Castlevania: Judgment on Wii. But I'd stay away from the Lords of Shadow series. The first one is okay, but the other two games were disappointing. Just a heads up.

Coming from someone who regularly use the castlevania dungeon forums most of them (including me) will say

Aria of Sorrow (gba metriodvania. Most will say this one)

Rondo of Blood (download on wii since you don't have a psp. classicvania. SotN is a sequel to this game.)

Dawn of Sorrow (make sure you play Aria of Sorrow first. DS and metriodvania)

Circle of the Moon (gba and metriodvania but it's a little harder)

My personal favorite Lament of Innocence (on ps3 for 10 bucks. 3D metriodvania)

All the gba and ds castlevania's are metriodvanias if you want to go off of that too.

Finally while I don't like it you might try Lords of Shadows if it tickles your fancy.

I'd seriously recommend every Castlevania outside of Lords of Shadow (let's be honest here it isn't castlevania. Its God of War with Castlevania slapped onto it barely)

My personal favorites from the classicvania era are Rondo Of Blood (avalible on the wii virtual console and is a prequel to Sotn) and III

Metroidvanias I prefer Sotn, Aria of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin although all the others are grand

3Ds I like Curse of Darkness a lot due to its relation to III

In order:

Metroidvania style -- Symphony of the Night -> Aria of Sorrow -> Order of Ecclesia -> Dawn of Sorrow/Portrait Of Ruin/Harmony of Dissonance

Retro -- Super Castlevania 4 -> Rondo of Blood -> Belmont's Revenge -> Bloodlines -> Castlevania 3 -> Castlevania -> Dracula X

Circle of the moon falls somewhere in the Metroidvania style but it just feels different from it. Haven't played Castlevania Chronicles an there's a few that I haven't played/don't care enough to list.

Also: Simon's theme - Castlevania Chronicles.

Edited by Sirius

I would sooner recommend CotM over Aria. Dawn just feels like a direct improvement over Aria, with the exception of the clock tower theme and character art not being as good as Aria's. Gameplay-wise it's much better.

CotM on the other hand is the only game in the series with its unique DSS system, and while one could argue that Harmony of Dissoonance is just as unique in that regard, the biggest difference is Circle of the Moon isn't shit like Harmony of Dissonance* is.

* Not to be confused with Harmony of Despair, which is actually good.

Edited by Izayoi

Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia. Portrait of Ruin isn't bad, either, but I've yet to really get far in that one.

I would like to recommend the Lords of Shadows series, (namely for character and world and story being pretty damn good in my opinion), but since you'd prefer the Metroidvania style, I'll just leave the other suggestions.

Circle of the Moon

This one is my favorite, but be warned that it is more or less a Gaiden game. It is difficult, enemies actually consistently outmaneuver you, but it's not impossible; just requires smarts and a great deal of pattern recognition.

All Castlevania games on GBA and DS are good. Some are better and some are kinda worse but they are all worth to play. Before you jump into any old Castlevania games, try to find if it has a port or remake first.

Edited by Char