US Presidential Election 2016

Ansem

Conservatism, by its nature, generally falls behind policy-wise and culturally. What bothers me about your ravings are how rage-filled you seem to be about it. These posts could replace all the anti-right buzzwords with anti-left buzzwords and it would look exactly like any given comment on the Fox News website.

I would just like to make the distinction between the GOP and conservatism. Sure, conservatism has its merits, but by looking at the current Republican Party it's hard to notice them. Does the party actually offer anything right now besides some religious pandering and not being Obama?

Also, I think you would agree Tony's post is a bit more substantive than your average website comment, no? There are plenty of valid criticisms for Obama, but I just shake my head when I hear someone enraged about him "trying to take their guns" or a similarly inane statement. Say what you want about rhetoric, but there's a fine line between righteous rage and blind rage.

I think he blows certain things out of proportion (last I checked, the unions over here were alive and kicking), and the delivery could use some work, but TonyMontana is on the right track. I wish politics over here didn't sound so much like a sporting competition.

He does a little bit, but I'm not sure if Unions is one of those things. They certainly are not the force they were in the past ("Right to work" states, anyone?) , and are not looking to regain their power in the near future.

Workers do have a reasonable amount of rights. I'm not sure how the US compares to other developed nations, but it's still fairly well removed from things like slavery and child labor. That is to say, its situation for workers is far from perfect. It is beyond me how someone can work full time at minimum wage, not have enough money to support themselves, and then get complained about when that person needs social security.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should've put that I'm in a state where the bus drivers have their own union (one that's not too shabby), and where health insurance is mandated for full-time workers.

I would just like to make the distinction between the GOP and conservatism. Sure, conservatism has its merits, but by looking at the current Republican Party it's hard to notice them. Does the party actually offer anything right now besides some religious pandering and not being Obama?

Of course not. The party is in its death throes where everything is just some desperate arm flailing at the Obama administration. They seem to be lucking out now that people are starting to get annoyed with how the country is being run, regardless of who's in charge.

Also, I think you would agree Tony's post is a bit more substantive than your average website comment, no? There are plenty of valid criticisms for Obama, but I just shake my head when I hear someone enraged about him "trying to take their guns" or a similarly inane statement. Say what you want about rhetoric, but there's a fine line between righteous rage and blind rage.

I agreed where I felt like he was correct. But I find myself agreeing with tons of people who frame their argument using asinine and not constructive buzzwords and phrases.

I'm more disagreeing with the larger schism that's grown into a canyon in this country, thanks to that attitude on all sides. We literally live in a country where truth is completely subjective and everyone has a different idea of what reality is. Pain in the ass, even if I agree with you.

TonyMontana isn't wrong when he says that the Democrats aren't a left-wing party. They're simply more left than the Republicans. The argument can be made that despite being the "left-wing" party of the US, they're more right on the spectrum than Canada's most right party, the Conservatives, or at the least that they were even a few years ago. Stephen Harper's been drifting more and more right since he got the majority in 2011, but even then I don't think that the Democrats are very much more left than the Conservatives.

But Trudeau's probably going to be in power in Canada for a while after 2015 so eh.

Well, yeah. My whole railing against the establishment includes Dems and Repubs. They're just tools meant to distract us with ideology of some flavor or another while they do the bidding of their big money puppeteers.

I didn't disagree with everything he said. I would just rather we make a cross-cutting argument that doesn't automatically alienate, exclude or piss off the people with opposing viewpoints or just don't know any better.

TonyMontana's posts are the best in the thread. Summarizes the US pretty well, and also why the US are so scared of left-wing governments rising all over Latin America.

all he did was shit on republicans the way republicans shit on democrats. if you call that insightful, i'm sorry.

i'm not saying i completely disagree with him, in fact if i analyzed every claim i'd probably end up mostly agreeing with him. but then again i'm very left, so there ya go.