NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

The problem is that the NFL and the Ravens only came down hard because there was a video leaked, numerous players in the past have been accused of domestic violence and it just gets swept under the rug because there "isn't any evidence" or something else similar to what happened with Ray Rice. And I also guarantee you that if Ray Rice ran for like 2k+ yards last year there is no way the Ravens would cut him. I love the NFL but its good to remember that most of the players aren't role models or whatever. And yeah Big Ben deserves the shit he gets he should have been suspended for at least 1 year but settlements pass him by.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yeah Big Ben deserves the shit he gets he should have been suspended for at least 1 year but settlements pass him by.

No, he doesn't. There was solid proof for what Rice did. Ben's case didn't find any. Yeah, Ben made the stupid decision of putting himself in a situation to get in trouble, but NOBODY COULD PROVE THAT HE DID ANYTHING. Why suspend him if he might actually be completely innocent? It wouldn't be fair to suspend an innocent player for that long. On top of that, he never got in trouble again after that and it was FIVE YEARS AGO. Not to mention he was suspended for four games anyway.

And like I said, the past doesn't make a person. He's a good guy now and deserves to be treated as such. The Steelers owners and staff told him to get his head on straight and he listened.

Edited by Anacybele

The problem is that the NFL and the Ravens only came down hard because there was a video leaked, numerous players in the past have been accused of domestic violence and it just gets swept under the rug because there "isn't any evidence" or something else similar to what happened with Ray Rice. And I also guarantee you that if Ray Rice ran for like 2k+ yards last year there is no way the Ravens would cut him. I love the NFL but its good to remember that most of the players aren't role models or whatever.

Well the Ravens never actually saw the video; they believed that his wife attacked him first and he retaliated because that's what Ray said.

On another topic, something I never understood about the Browns. Why don't they actually wear, you know, brown? xP Their colors look like orange, white, and black to me. And their logo is orange.

Edited by Anacybele

Well the Ravens never actually saw the video; they believed that his wife attacked him first and he retaliated because that's what Ray said.

Yeah I know they believed Ray Rice and didn't see the video, more of an indictment on the justice system on how they could see this and not do anything. Though since she didn't press charges what can ya do.

And Ray Rice isn't the only case, Brandon Marshall, James Harrison had domestic violence issues that disappeared with no real issues and now there are more with greg hardy and ray mcdonald.

Edited by metalsnowman3

They did do something. Rice was originally given a two game suspension. So even when there's no evidence or proof that anything happened, the players still get punishment because they were idiotic enough to get in trouble in the first place.

On another topic, something I never understood about the Browns. Why don't they actually wear, you know, brown? xP Their colors look like orange, white, and black to me. And their logo is orange.

We wear brown. You seem to have mistaken our brown for black, which is a color we don't wear. Besides, our team is named after Paul Brown not the color brown.

The team is named after Paul Brown, their first coach in history.

Yeah I know they believed Ray Rice and didn't see the video, more of an indictment on the justice system on how they could see this and not do anything. Though since she didn't press charges what can ya do.

I don't think the DA can release a video like that, but I also doubt the NFL & Goodell never saw it. I don't know if people have noticed over the past six years but he has way too much trust in people sometimes. There's reports being released that Goodell had seen the video, but nothing about the Ravens haven seen it.

Also someone mentioned it somewhere, but a first time offense for something like this, legally, is the pre-trial intervention program so they've followed precedent. I now have a guess why she didn't press charges (and it's quite possible she, herself, believed she provoked it because she hit her head so damn hard that her memory's fuzzy enough for Rice to manipulate it).

This situation is really crazy to interpret as a Ravens fan, considering this is the guy who's pushed heavily for anti-cyberbullying legislation resulting from a Howard County (county right near Baltimore) resident who committed suicide due to cyberbullying, on top of other huge campaigns for bullying, lots and lots of charity work including football camps for at risk youth, things like that, which he was present for... and lots of stories about how public fronts or not he's had a tendency to go above and beyond what is reasonable for any of his campaigns (ie stuff that doesn't get reported; there are LOTS of stories of him from a bunch of people just hanging out at hospitals for hours at a time, long after the press has left).

It's not that comparable to Ben who was considered an asshole by most people prior to the rape allegations. This is literally something polar opposite to what anyone would expect him to do. There's an argument for good PR but almost every NFL player has PR and many still come across as assholes.

And Ray Rice isn't the only case, Brandon Marshall, James Harrison had domestic violence issues that disappeared with no real issues and now there are more with greg hardy and ray mcdonald.

Pacman Jones too. Brandon Marshall's case was actually a case of mutual abuse, and on top of that Marshall had bipolar disorder I think? For which he's been getting treatment for years. I've heard strange things about Greg Hardy's trial though. I don't know much about Harrison or McDonald, but Jim Harbaugh is letting the last one ride out the legal process.

We wear brown. You seem to have mistaken our brown for black, which is a color we don't wear. Besides, our team is named after Paul Brown not the color brown.

The team is named after Paul Brown, their first coach in history.

Oh, I see now. That makes sense. Yeah, that brown DOES look like black at first glance, but a closer look made me notice a hint of brown. I've also noticed you guys have a guy in a dog suit for a mascot. That's so cute. ^^

On yet another topic, either the Giants are just really bad these days or the Lions are really good now.

Oh, I see now. That makes sense. Yeah, that brown DOES look like black at first glance, but a closer look made me notice a hint of brown. I've also noticed you guys have a guy in a dog suit for a mascot. That's so cute. ^^

The dog-related stuff (Chomps the mascot and the fan section being called "The Dawg Pound") comes from the Canton (briefly Cleveland) Bulldogs, an old NFL team that stopped existing in 1927 nearly twenty years before the Browns came into existence in 1945 (and the Bulldogs being a powerhouse team in the dawn of the NFL is pretty much the reason the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, Ohio).

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Another interesting bit of history of football in general: American Football, Soccer, Rugby, and several other sports evolved from slightly different versions of one sport called "football" that existed a few hundred years ago. It was named that not because the ball made contact with a players' feet a lot (which is what Soccer fans claim in order to make their sport seem like the "true" football. Well, that and the fact that their sport is what's called football on 90% of the planet, but I digress), but because it was played on foot instead of on horseback.

And now I kinda wanna see an NFL game with everyone riding horses. I'd feel kinda bad for the horses that the Linemen would be riding, though.

Also the Arizona Cardinals used to be in Chicago as the Chicago Cardinals, but George Halas pressured them to move because the residents of Chicago did not like the Cardinals. They moved to St. Louis then Arizona. Also, the NFL hemorrhaged money until like 1960 or 1965; a big reason for this is the The Greatest Game Ever Played, 1958 Championship between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants which was the first overtime game in NFL history (before that games would be tied at the end of regulation; championships had never been tied before that game, and I don't think a non-conference championship has ever been tied since then; I know there's never been a tied Super Bowl).

Ah, more stuff I never knew!

I do know some things though. There used to be a team called the Oilers and they were Houston. But they later went to Tennessee and that's how the Titans were born. Houston got a new team, but I will never understand why they're called the Texans instead of just being the Oilers again. I mean, that's just kind of boring, you know? xP

Los Angeles once had two teams, but football apparently isn't that popular there, so the Rams are now St. Louis and the other team...I'm actually not sure what became of them. :P

Bud Adams (owner of the Titans) held the rights to the name "Oilers." They couldn't change the Texans name to it. Adams basically saw the Browns move and decided to go about it differently.

When they first moved they were the Tennessee Oilers (and were in the AFC Central with the, at the time, Ravens, Jaguars, Steelers, and Bengals) and then they changed their name to the Titans in 1999 (which was the first year the Browns were reactivated leading to a six-team AFC Central). When the Texans came into the league the league changed to a 2 conference, 8 division split instead of the original 2 conference, 6 division split.

Raiders used to be in Los Angeles after being in Oakland for a while, then they moved back to Oakland. Rams were in Los Angeles for a long time until they moved to St. Louis in the 90s. Chargers were in LA briefly when they first entered the original AFL.

Ah, so that's why Houston didn't become the Oilers again. I still think "Texans" is boring though. xP

My mom told me some trivia the other day btw. The only four teams that still have yet to get to a Super Bowl are the Browns, Jaguars, Lions, and Rams. I wasn't surprised at that first one. lol

Rams won a Super Bowl in 99 and lost another two; one to the Steelers in the 70s and another to the Patriots in 2001. The team you're thinking of is the Texans, not the Rams.

Edited by Lord Raven

Oh! Yeah, you're right, I remember now. My mom did say Texans. lol

So, I noticed there's a Jim Harbaugh and a John Harbaugh in coaching. I'm assuming they're related? Brothers? :P

Edited by Anacybele

Oh! Yeah, you're right, I remember now. My mom did say Texans. lol

So, I noticed there's a Jim Harbaugh and a John Harbaugh in coaching. I'm assuming they're related? Brothers? :P

Did you watch or hear about the 2013 Super Bowl? I just can't believe that you missed that. They're brothers.

Edited by Second Pronoun

Time to pick Week 2 I suppose:

Pittsburgh at Baltimore- These teams were kind of all over the place Week 1 and these games are often a toss-up anyway...going with the home team

Miami at Buffalo- Surprising victories for both these teams last week. Going with the Bills since they swept the Dolphins last year and are home

Jacksonville at Washington- Jaguars at least looked good for a half last week, Redskins didn't really look good at all

Arizona at New York Giants- Cardinals looked pretty good last week, Giants looked really bad

New England at Minnesota- I think the Patriots the better team overall, but if their run defense doesn't improve they could easily start 0-2

New Orleans at Cleveland- The Browns made things interesting last week and the Saints have some possible secondary issues, but the Saints are the more talented team I think

Detroit at Carolina- Tough game to pick, but I think the Lions have the more explosive offense here.

Dallas at Tennessee- Titans looked good last week, Cowboys looked pretty bad.

Atlanta at Cincinnati- I think the Falcons will have issues stopping the Bengals, especially on the road

Seattle at San Diego- Superbowl champions coming off a long week and a dominating victory- hard to pick against the Seahawks right now.

St. Louis at Tampa Bay- Bucs at least didn't get blown out I guess

Kansas City at Denver- Chiefs couldn't stop the Broncos last year and they've gotten worse on both sides of the ball

Houston at Oakland- Raiders struggled offensively last week and the Texans defense is pretty good

New York Jets at Green Bay- I think the Packers should be able to rebound at home against a suspect offense

Chicago at San Francisco- Bears defense does not actually appear to be improved and the Niners can run the ball pretty well

Philadelphia at Indianapolis- Luck should throw for a lot of yards, but Lesean McCoy and Darren Sproles should match up well against a suspect Colts run D

I dunno, I'd say the Ravens played worse against the Bengals than the Steelers did against the Browns. The Steelers were at least stomping all over their opponent in the first half. :P The Ravens hardly stomped at all. lol

It's pretty much the same thing as your comparision between the Jags and Skins.

Also, neither the Rams nor the Bucs got blown out, actually. But the Bucs did score more points.

Also, sorry, ClevelandSteve, but this is just too awesome and perfect not to post:

10612969_563584617078957_576467237935331

Just. LOL. XD

Edited by Anacybele

34-6 is a blowout. The Steelers blowing a 24 point lead to the Browns doesn't speak well of their defense.

Oh, I thought the Vikings had gotten less points than that, my bad. And actually, the defense was killing the Browns for the first half and then suddenly came back in the end to shut them up. I don't know what happened for most of the second half, but yeah. The defense is not bad at all. And the Ravens' offense was still much worse than ours.

Flacco wasn't completing passes from what I read, therefore he can easily get picked off by Shazier or Polamalu if he doesn't start being accurate.

Edited by Anacybele