NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean the behavior that led the Patriots to a 21-game winning streak. Which I heard was broken by the Steelers, hee hee.

You mean having one of the best runs in nfl history for 4 years? They got you back in various AFCCGs tho - you remember the game that ends the streak, but you forget the 2001 AFCCG and the 2004 AFCCG (ie later that season) where they steamrolled the Steelers 41-27... in Pittsburgh.

The 60s Packers had an incredible run game and a good defense, the 70s Steelers had a really good defense (that led to a rule change), the 80s 49ers had an amazing offense with a very good defense, the 90s Cowboys had the greatest offensive line in history, an amazing run game, and a good defense, and the 00s Patriots had the most balanced team of all time. A very very very good and smart defense with a very very very good and smart offense - nothing ground shattering, but something very balanced.

Edited by Lord Raven

Rivers is also 6'5" and 228 (as of the combine - he's bound to have gotten heavier), not quite as heavy as a linebacker but still a pretty big guy.

Now here's a guy built like a linebacker

this is why luck is one of my favorite qbs. it's beautiful.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

You mean having one of the best runs in nfl history for 4 years? They got you back in various AFCCGs tho - you remember the game that ends the streak, but you forget the 2001 AFCCG and the 2004 AFCCG (ie later that season) where they steamrolled the Steelers 41-27... in Pittsburgh.

Oh, I know about that game, I just hadn't thought of it at the time. :P

But I heard that the Pats used to spy on the practicie sessions or something.

Well, at least the Patriots had to do the cheating themselves rather than having the refs hand the game to them like what happened to the Steelers in Super Bowl XL.

As for the Browns this season, I think without Josh Gordon we're on pace to match a record-setting team: the 2008 Lions!

Well, at least the Patriots had to do the cheating themselves rather than having the refs hand the game to them like what happened to the Steelers in Super Bowl XL.

As for the Browns this season, I think without Josh Gordon we're on pace to match a record-setting team: the 2008 Lions!

Well the browns team isn't that bad, with a solid running game and that amazing defense they will win some games. How many games is the bigger question but lets see how they do first.

That's bullshit, the Steelers did NOT have the refs hand them the game. Why would they when it was Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis's last game? They would want to play a good game and win fair and square for them, not cheat.

Anyway, on a semi-related topic, Bell and Blount will be playing this Sunday, but I still worry that their inevitable suspension will happen for a really important game like one against the Ravens. >_<

That's bullshit, the Steelers did NOT have the refs hand them the game. Why would they when it was Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis's last game? They would want to play a good game and win fair and square for them, not cheat.

Yes because the NFL teams are all incredibly moral corporations that would never dream of using underhanded tactics to best their opponents.

Not.

Edited by Da Bear

Yes because the NFL teams are all incredibly moral corporations that would never dream of using underhanded tactics to best their opponents.

Not.

Did I say that? I don't see it anywhere. All I'm saying is that there was no good reason for any cheating in Super Bowl 40. I can't tell you if the Steelers have NEVER cheated before in their lives.

But if you want a game where the refs really DID hand someone the game, check out Packers vs Seahawks from a couple years ago. THAT was a bullshit call by the refs at the very last play. It was clearly an interception on the Packers' part, but they gave the "game winning" TD to the Seahawks anyway. And this is coming from someone that prefers the Seahawks over the Packers.

Did I say that? I don't see it anywhere. All I'm saying is that there was no good reason for any cheating in Super Bowl 40. I can't tell you if the Steelers have NEVER cheated before in their lives.

But if you want a game where the refs really DID hand someone the game, check out Packers vs Seahawks from a couple years ago. THAT was a bullshit call by the refs at the very last play. It was clearly an interception on the Packers' part, but they gave the "game winning" TD to the Seahawks anyway. And this is coming from someone that prefers the Seahawks over the Packers.

There was totally a reason to cheat, winning. I'm not saying it happened, I'm just saying that your argument's are no basis to deny what was being said.

I love that story, it was bs but I love it. I live in Northern Illinois and several of my friends are packers fans. They were so pissed.

Edited by Da Bear

There was totally a reason to cheat, winning. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying that your argument's no basis to deny what was being said.

Except as I said, that was Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis's final game. I don't think they would've wanted their last go to be dishonorable. That would be a TERRIBLE way to finish their careers.

Except as I said, that was Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis's final game. I don't think they would've wanted their last go to be dishonorable. That would be a TERRIBLE way to finish their careers.

Why would they have been privy to a game being fixed though? And why are you so sure that they have a high moral standard that would make them prefer losing to cheating?

Also there was a slight problem with my last post, I said, "I'm not saying it didn't happen" but I meant "I'm not saying it happened, will fix.

E: Actually I think this is sort of a pointless discussion and there's really no point to it since I'm not convinced that the Steelers cheated at all so I'm just going to let it go, I shall now post a meme that summons up everyone's thoughts (idk how to make it actually pop up and stuff so you'll have to click...):

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/59/5d/bf/595dbff75d56b51729d507fc49bd4998.jpg

Edited by Da Bear

Because I can't imagine why anyone WOULDN'T want a great, honorable finish to a sports career.

And yeah, I was wondering why you had said that, glad you cleared that up.

I definitely agree with that pic, football season! :D

Oh, I know about that game, I just hadn't thought of it at the time. :P

But I heard that the Pats used to spy on the practicie sessions or something.

They supposedly had evidence that there was a tape of a Rams walkthrough, but the NFL destroyed the evidence. It was a baseless accusation. This one was not true.

In reality, if you look it up, what happened was Eric Mangini reported the Patriots to the NFL office because they had someone with a camera from an angle they were not allowed to use (as of the most recent offseason). The idea was that the Patriots were taping defensive signals, and in reality any team that is fussed about defensive signals is kind of dumb.

At any rate, Bill Cowher himself admitted that they did this all the time before the NFL disallowed it. The Patriots just did it for one or two games longer. It doesn't make sense though, because after they were punished they had THE greatest offense of all time, so if they were forced to stop stealing defensive signals why would they go on an unprecedented 16-0 run right after? Don't even forget the 2010 Patriots who were madly efficient, not turning over the ball very much and absolutely devastating on both sides of the ball.

There's an article of Jimmy Johnson saying the same thing Bill Cowher said.

Why would they have been privy to a game being fixed though? And why are you so sure that they have a high moral standard that would make them prefer losing to cheating?

Also there was a slight problem with my last post, I said, "I'm not saying it didn't happen" but I meant "I'm not saying it happened, will fix.

E: Actually I think this is sort of a pointless discussion and there's really no point to it since I'm not convinced that the Steelers cheated at all so I'm just going to let it go, I shall now post a meme that summons up everyone's thoughts (idk how to make it actually pop up and stuff so you'll have to click...):

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/59/5d/bf/595dbff75d56b51729d507fc49bd4998.jpg

you click the image thingy in the post toolbar and paste the image link. [down and immediately to the left of the smiley face]

Edited by Phoenix Wright

They supposedly had evidence that there was a tape of a Rams walkthrough, but the NFL destroyed the evidence. It was a baseless accusation. This one was not true.

In reality, if you look it up, what happened was Eric Mangini reported the Patriots to the NFL office because they had someone with a camera from an angle they were not allowed to use (as of the most recent offseason). The idea was that the Patriots were taping defensive signals, and in reality any team that is fussed about defensive signals is kind of dumb.

At any rate, Bill Cowher himself admitted that they did this all the time before the NFL disallowed it. The Patriots just did it for one or two games longer. It doesn't make sense though, because after they were punished they had THE greatest offense of all time, so if they were forced to stop stealing defensive signals why would they go on an unprecedented 16-0 run right after? Don't even forget the 2010 Patriots who were madly efficient, not turning over the ball very much and absolutely devastating on both sides of the ball.

There's an article of Jimmy Johnson saying the same thing Bill Cowher said.

Huh, I see. Interesting bit of info there. Well, I'm sure no one wants to believe their own team ever cheats, though...

Huh, I see. Interesting bit of info there. Well, I'm sure no one wants to believe their own team ever cheats, though...

It wouldn't be cheating if it was legal c:

Probably 03/04 with that hell of a defense. Good times. Also quick thing I'm upset about wrt the nfl. I can no longer write off the jags as a 3-13 team. I have been doing that for 10 years. I'm pissed.

Anybody knows that the Steelers' golden age was the 70s. lol Best QB in the form of Terry Bradshaw, a wicked defense that included guys like Jack Lambert (my stepdad told me that this guy was so brutal that he lost his teeth playing and he did show me a pic of him with missing teeth haha) and an offense that had stars like Franco Harris! Harris was the guy behind the famous Immaculate Reception.

Mike Wallace followed in his footsteps, though, and did the Immaculate Reception 2. And as a rookie. It's not nearly as well-known a play, but I'll never forget it. Steelers vs Packers, the score is 36-30 Packers, Big Ben and his offense have one last play and three seconds left in the entire game. MIKE WALLACE CATCHES THE GAME WINNING TD!! That led to a Shaun Suisham FG to add on the actual winning point. :D

And believe me, it felt DAMN good to see the Steelers triumph over Rodgers and his Packers like that!

Edited by Anacybele

Bradshaw wasn't that great a QB and that offense in general wasn't great... but that 70s team was revolutionary, and couldn't sustain itself due to a) age and b) other people catching onto Bud Carson's system and adopting it. The rules helped them a lot though, because they were allow few points in an era where the average points per game was the lowest ever. If the 70s Steelers played in the 70s but with 80s rules, then they wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

Probably 03/04 with that hell of a defense. Good times. Also quick thing I'm upset about wrt the nfl. I can no longer write off the jags as a 3-13 team. I have been doing that for 10 years. I'm pissed.

You're a Pats fan right? I'd say 07 beat both those teams handily, especially if Corey Dillon could stay healthy in 07.

As for me... The 2000 defense was about brute force and they shut down three of the top 5 offenses that year or something, but they also played a weak schedule (they have the record for lowest points allowed in a 16-game season at 165, but the Titans had 185 that year), but the 2006 defense went against much tougher offenses (including holding the 2006 Chargers to 13 points... I believe LT got only 1 of his 32 all-purpose TDs that season against us) and was in general a much better defense especially when you adjust all the factors for the era. But the offense still wasn't that great, although a lot better than the 2000 offense. The 2000 team was remarkable because the defense held the other team to 165 points despite having no offense to speak of. They won a Super Bowl too, holding the Giants to 0 points on offense (one special teams gaffe lead to a 34-7 rout).

2011 Ravens were probably our true peak, and we had 4 really dumb losses (@Seattle, @Tennessee, @San Diego, @Jacksonville, all pretty horrible teams that year) but we swept our division - which sent three teams to the playoffs that year (12-4 Steelers and I think the 9-7 Bengals) and probably the best defense in the league in most metrics. Our offense was also much better than offenses in previous years, including Rice who got 2000+ yards from scrimmage for the second time in his career. If we made it to the Super Bowl we would've destroyed the Giants, but we were a missed field goal/OT or a dropped TD pass away from that. 2008 was close to 2011 in terms of quality, though, but that was more of Harbaugh working miracles with a skeleton of that ridiculous 2006 team.

Edited by Lord Raven