Pokemon Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire Thread - The Game's out, go get it!

Book of Ereshkigal

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried using Regigigas in doubles before.

He's, at best, gimmicky.

If I remember correctly, wasn't his ability something like a slow start?

I'm assuming that's his greatest hindrance, wouldn't you be able to ability swap it out?

I was thinking of using a Slaking who suffers from the same issue and partnering him with a trick room + ability swap Pokemon.

Slaking has a fairly decent 100 base speed; I don't think you want Trick Room up for him. And yeah, the idea with using Regigigas/Slaking with a Skill Swap/Gastro Acid/etc partner in doubles is not a new one. But it's just really inflexible because it resets every time you switch the pokemon out so you have to time it really well, and timing something like that is harder in doubles because you need to get both Slaking/Regigigas + your ability swapper out at the same time. Plus it's doubles so it's easier for your opponent to gang up on them. Not to mention that Gastro Acid users are all mostly bad and Skill Swap means that your swapper becomes useless.

I would use Regigigas over Slaking if you really want to try the strategy out; they have the same ATK and SPD but Regigigas has 45 extra Sp.Def and 10 extra Def in exchange for 40 less HP and 15 less Sp.Atk, and Slow Start is probably slightly less bad than Truant if you're in a situation where you can't swap their abilities out.

EDIT: you have to love power creep though; isn't it great that in Gen3/4 Gamefreak thought that a 670 BST needed to be paired with a hindering ability and then two generations later MEGA RAYQUAZA

Edited by BBM

So yeah my Aron basically solo'd both of Norman's Slakings with an attack/Protect all day. Arguably the easiest gym so far.

I've been revisiting old routes using Surf on them before advancing East. My team now consists of:

Grovyle

Trapinch

Lairon

Gyarados

Gardevoir

HM Bitch Linoone

Recently landed on Sea Mauville, but was falling asleep. More exploring later.

Edited by Raven

Slaking has a fairly decent 100 base speed; I don't think you want Trick Room up for him. And yeah, the idea with using Regigigas/Slaking with a Skill Swap/Gastro Acid/etc partner in doubles is not a new one. But it's just really inflexible because it resets every time you switch the pokemon out so you have to time it really well, and timing something like that is harder in doubles because you need to get both Slaking/Regigigas + your ability swapper out at the same time. Plus it's doubles so it's easier for your opponent to gang up on them. Not to mention that Gastro Acid users are all mostly bad and Skill Swap means that your swapper becomes useless.

there's a bunch of ways to screw up this strategy, too.

taunt -> swapper can't use skill swap or gastro acid, strategy killed

rage powder or follow me -> swapper swaps with wrong target, strategy killed

fake out -> swapper can't do anything, strategy killed

It took a long time, but i've finally managed to capture a nice Snorunt that can evolve into a Frosslass.

That does mean one of my current party members is going to get the boot and i'm still undecided about who should get it.

So far my team is

1. Shiftry

2. Camerupt

3. Medicham

4. Lanturn

5. Altaria

6. Solrock

Frosslass will replace either Altaria or Solrock. Solrocks has been surprisingly decent so far with some nice moves like Stone edge and Will o whisp. Altaria has been a bit of an dissapointment so far. Medicham is my mega of choice so I usually go with normal Altaria. It still gets the job done, but I expected better of a dragon type.

I think because Altaria looks all cuddly and because mega evolution hype and Dragon/Fairy hype people forget that Altaria is not actually very good. It has a BST under 500. Hell, even Mega Altaria has a lower BST than regular Salamence. Its offences are okay as a Mega but it still has mediocre speed and the defensive boost is offset by the fact that it still has low HP.

So yeah my Aron basically solo'd both of Norman's Slakings with an attack/Protect all day. Arguably the easiest gym so far.

I've been revisiting old routes using Surf on them before advancing East. My team now consists of:

Grovyle

Trapinch

Lairon

Gyarados

Gardevoir

HM Bitch Linoone

Recently landed on Sea Mauville, but was falling asleep. More exploring later.

We're pretty much at the same point. I already "redid" earlygame with Surf and got some items and such. My team is currently leveled 44 with Sceptile, Manectric, Gardevoir and Linoone. I'm heading to routes 118 and 119, I'm considering catching a nice Feebas just to store it cuz I don't like having too many pokemons at the party.

Sceptile has Grass Pledge, Detect, Rock Tomb and Dual Chop and hasn't had any trouble with Rock Tomb for Flying and Fire pokes. Manectric destroys things with Discharge and Swift, and combines Overheat and Volt Switch. Gardevoir wrecks opponents with early Moonblast, Psychic and Magical Leaf, there's also Calm Mind but I'll wait for either Focus Blast or Shadow Ball to replace it.

It took a long time, but i've finally managed to capture a nice Snorunt that can evolve into a Frosslass.

That does mean one of my current party members is going to get the boot and i'm still undecided about who should get it.

So far my team is

1. Shiftry

2. Camerupt

3. Medicham

4. Lanturn

5. Altaria

6. Solrock

Frosslass will replace either Altaria or Solrock. Solrocks has been surprisingly decent so far with some nice moves like Stone edge and Will o whisp. Altaria has been a bit of an dissapointment so far. Medicham is my mega of choice so I usually go with normal Altaria. It still gets the job done, but I expected better of a dragon type.

Well, Altaria has its use with Dragon Dance, its Mega can take advantage of Fairy-boosted Return; or Hyper Voice if you prefer the special set. I would keep Altaria since it can still help with Safeguard or Heal Bell or something, but your team is pretty much ok and balanced, so there won't be a problem.

there's a bunch of ways to screw up this strategy, too.

taunt -> swapper can't use skill swap or gastro acid, strategy killed

rage powder or follow me -> swapper swaps with wrong target, strategy killed

fake out -> swapper can't do anything, strategy killed

I'm well aware of the consequences if someone sees through me, but I didn't say it would lead the entire thing.

There's also Worry Seed Whimsicott.

Worryseed.gif

It doesn't work with Slaking but has the benefit of being mostly Taunt-proof and immune to Rage Powder. (You're still SOL with Fake Out/Follow Me though.)

you can actually do regigigas and pyroar. pyroar can pass moxie onto regigigas and do decent damage with overheat and gets taunt to shut down other gimmicks (unless mental herb is used, btw pyroar should be holding that). here's how the match should go if done successfully:

turn 1: pyroar passes moxie onto regigigas, opponent does some damage, might attempt to KO or taunt pyroar.

turn 2: pyroar fires off an overheat or whatever is useful, regigigas uses earthquake and KOs pyroar.

turn 3: send in a wide guard or follow me pokemon (actually hitmontop gets both of these O.O) so hitmontop, oh yeah intimidate is nice, and now you use whatever is good for wrecking the opponent's team

turn 4+: well if hitmontop's dead, we send in another support mon and continue sweeping with regigigas

i should probably say that this team can't handle trick room well at all. strong and fast pokemon can also force pyroar out which screws up the whole strategy too. roar can also stop this but there would have to be something that lives to be able to do this so it's not as important as the other flaws. regigigas is also only so fast and bulky so it can eventually be killed, but that's what the support is for. gorgeist also laughs at this team unless regigigas gets enough boosts by the time he's in.

movesets:

regigigas @ lum berry / assault vest

ability: slow start

uhh i forget the spread, either bulky adamant or 252 Atk 252 Spd Jolly actually i think it's a bulky jolly set with max speed

return

rock slide

earthquake

drain punch

pyroar @ mental herb

ability: moxie

252 SpA 4 SpD 252 Spd Timid (modify this to ensure OHKO with regigigas's earthquake)

overheat

protect

taunt

entrainment

this might work better with slacking but i've only messed around with this gimmick for around half an hour on showdown lol.

Edited by Comet

yeah and if you throw in a terrakion, you can run two shitty doubles strategies on the same team~!

The Beat-Up + Terrakion strategy is pretty predictable now. Follow Me ruins it.

Guys quick question:

#380 Latias [Quirky]

IVs: 30, 31 / 27, 28, 29 / 27, 28, 29 / 31 / 30, 31 / 24, 25, 26

Stats at Lv.30: 97 / 61 / 67 / 80 / 92 / 78

Should I take it or rig a Timid/Modest one?

BTW, synchronize works with the Latios/Latias, so having a timid pokemon with it on the first slot of your team would make things way easier.

You don't get Kanto or Kalos starters but you can get everything else in ORAS

I would imagine that, since you get them in X/Y

And also, catching Palkia kinda made me LIKE the battle theme against Dialga/Palkia that I was meh about at first because I never listened to the whole theme before because I just threw a Master Ball at Dialga in Diamond (which is my least favorite Pokemon game)

We're pretty much at the same point. I already "redid" earlygame with Surf and got some items and such. My team is currently leveled 44 with Sceptile, Manectric, Gardevoir and Linoone. I'm heading to routes 118 and 119, I'm considering catching a nice Feebas just to store it cuz I don't like having too many pokemons at the party.

Sceptile has Grass Pledge, Detect, Rock Tomb and Dual Chop and hasn't had any trouble with Rock Tomb for Flying and Fire pokes. Manectric destroys things with Discharge and Swift, and combines Overheat and Volt Switch. Gardevoir wrecks opponents with early Moonblast, Psychic and Magical Leaf, there's also Calm Mind but I'll wait for either Focus Blast or Shadow Ball to replace it.

My team is in the low 30's, at least 12-14 levels below yours. Granted I've not finished battling everyone on route 108 and 109 yet, wasted quite a bit of EXP early on raising a dropped Taillow, and training five Pokemon as opposed to your three (assuming Linoone is just a HM slave). Despite my team being around the same level as the opponents I'm fighting, I'm not having much trouble. I'm going to assume Lairon will have a good time against Winona's gym.

As for attacks and such, the team looks like this:

Grovyle - Mega Drain, Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Quick Attack

Trapinch - Rock Slide, Earth Power, Dig, Crunch

Lairon - Protect, Iron Head, Rock Slide, Rock Tomb

Gyarados - Strength, Dragon Rage, Twister, Bite

Gardevoir - Magical Leaf, Calm Mind, Psychic, Draining Kiss

Linoone - Cut, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash

As I said earlier, I'll be getting rid of Strength on Gyarados in favour of Dragon Dance, Crunch, Waterfall and Dive. Not the most optimal setup, but he's the only guy who can navigate water outside of Linoone's Surf.

At least they're all sitting in nice white and red Premier Balls (aside from starter and HM slave).