Pokemon Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire Thread - The Game's out, go get it!

Book of Ereshkigal

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, interesting stuff with these Blissey bases. :o

So, I have a question about training up a good Rapidash after I catch a Ponyta. Should its ability be either Flash Fire or Flame Body? Flash Fire powers up Fire type moves if it's hit with a Fire type move, but Flame Body can inflict burns on the opponent Pokemon if it makes physical contact and it can make hatching eggs easier.

I'm thinking Flame Body because I think my Rapidash will be more likely to take hits from physical attacks than from Fire type moves.

So, I have a question about training up a good Rapidash after I catch a Ponyta. Should its ability be either Flash Fire or Flame Body? Flash Fire powers up Fire type moves if it's hit with a Fire type move, but Flame Body can inflict burns on the opponent Pokemon if it makes physical contact and it can make hatching eggs easier.

I'm thinking Flame Body because I think my Rapidash will be more likely to take hits from physical attacks than from Fire type moves.

I'd go for flash fire, since that gives you an immunity to fire and strengthens your fire-type moves.

It depends on how you plan to use it and how good you are at predicting your opponent. If you'll only be using it in game (Battle Maison or something) I'd go with Flame Body for sure, but otherwise, Flash Fire can be pretty beneficial if you can accurately predict your opponent. Rapidash isn't among the most defensive Pokemon in the first place, so Flame Body probably isn't going to see the greatest of use.

Tsunami: True, but Flash Fire only strengthens Fire type moves if Rapidash is hit with one and I'm surely not going to send it against other Fire type Pokemon or many Pokemon that can learn Fire type moves. This is why I felt that Flame Body might see more use.

Red Fox: Well, I wanted to use it in the Maison as well as in battles with friends online.

Flygon's bro, as Cam said. And as Fox said, he's got so much potential for a Mega form, I'm surprised he didn't get one.

But whatever, I've got 4 other Pokemon who can turn Mega. And only one can turn per fight, so no real loss, I suppose.

Also Cerberus87, I don't see anyone "overrating" him; he's just a fucking dragonfly, and dragonflies are awesome.

I used one in Black 2 and he wasn't particularly powerful, despite his stats.

Also, Flygon isn't a dragonfly. Yanmega is a dragonfly. Flygon is an antlion.

healing wish fails in triple battles no matter which blissey uses it, though, whereas against 3x latios they can all use memento and self-KO in a single turn.

You can take all three Blissey in a single turn with some reasonably powerful physical moves, after a point.

Tsunami: True, but Flash Fire only strengthens Fire type moves if Rapidash is hit with one and I'm surely not going to send it against other Fire type Pokemon or many Pokemon that can learn Fire type moves. This is why I felt that Flame Body might see more use.

Red Fox: Well, I wanted to use it in the Maison as well as in battles with friends online.

Flame Body won't help you against Earthquake or Stone Edge/Rock Slide. Those are the most common physical moves you will face as a Fire type.

Give it Flash Fire and Drill Run, scare out or take out opposing Fire types, and enjoy the 1.5x boost.

I just can't imagine Flame Body being a better pick in most situations than Flash Fire. It requires physical contact, and then it's only a 30% chance, and then it's not even particularly useful if the opponent is special based (wait, are there any special moves that make contact? Does that even make sense?) or immune to burns, and then Rapidash's defenses are too poor to take good advantage of it. Flash Fire requires prediction and/or luck, but at least it's 100% when you get it; and complete immunity to a type is always good, even if it's a type that Rapidash resists already.

Flame Body won't help you against Earthquake or Stone Edge/Rock Slide. Those are the most common physical moves you will face as a Fire type.

Flash Fire wouldn't do anything against them either.

Give it Flash Fire and Drill Run, scare out or take out opposing Fire types, and enjoy the 1.5x boost.

I just can't imagine Flame Body being a better pick in most situations than Flash Fire. It requires physical contact, and then it's only a 30% chance, and then it's not even particularly useful if the opponent is special based (wait, are there any special moves that make contact? Does that even make sense?) or immune to burns, and then Rapidash's defenses are too poor to take good advantage of it. Flash Fire requires prediction and/or luck, but at least it's 100% when you get it; and complete immunity to a type is always good, even if it's a type that Rapidash resists already.

This makes sense to me. Flash Fire it is then. It's easier to get as well anyway, since Flame Body is the hidden ability. As for Drill Run, sounds fine to me if it's a good move, I just need to look up how Rapidash learns it.

I'm going to give my Rapidash Megahorn too, the last time I trained one, it did wonders with that move. Flare Blitz is good too, despite the recoil damage. I just hope that said damage won't be too hindering. For the fourth move, I'm thinking Morning Sun because healing and I want to use a Sunny Day/Solarbeam Bellossom with it. It's an egg move, but if I get lucky, I might find a hidden Ponyta with it. Otherwise, I'll just grab myself an Espeon and breed it with a Ponyta.

Edited by Anacybele

This makes sense to me. Flash Fire it is then. It's easier to get as well anyway, since Flame Body is the hidden ability. As for Drill Run, sounds fine to me if it's a good move, I just need to look up how Rapidash learns it.

I'm going to give my Rapidash Mega Horn too, the last time I trained one, it did wonders with that move. Flare Blitz is good too, despite the recoil damage. I just hope that said damage won't be too hindering. For the fourth move, I'm thinking Morning Sun because healing and I want to use a Sunny Day/Solarbeam Bellossom with it. It's an egg move, but if I get lucky, I might find a hidden Ponyta with it. Otherwise, I'll just grab myself an Espeon and breed it with a Ponyta.

Drill Run is a move tutor move. You'll need 8 BP to get it, but that amount should be easily acquirable.

I also forgot to mention, but in the case of using Rapidash against opposing Fire types, STAB + a Flash Fire boost will actually put Fire type moves at x1.125 damage against resisting types, making Flare Blitz Rapidash's 2nd strongest attack (beaten only by Giga Impact) that isn't super effective even against Fire types.

Always use flash fire. Like somebody else said you're going to just get hit by earthquake/stone edge so flame body won't matter. Rapidash also doesn't have good bulk so you're almost never going to take more than 1 hit from a physical attacker. Oh and it's just a 30% chance. Then there's flash fire which gives you an immunity (these are really useful) that boosts STAB. It's also good for covering attacks against grass and steel types.

Ah, I see, didn't know that. Note to self: Set base to single battles, if I ever decide to do the Blissey thingy.

tbh i like the triple battles better because it gives me enough time to switch in the entirety of my team so they'll all get max exp, versus the singles where if you're training 6 some will inevitably only get half exp.

And when it's the last blissey out of 3 healing wish will still fail to work giving it 6 turns to die on toxic anyway given that you're training a bunch of lv 1s and can't kill them or something

therefore (memento latis aside speaking as blisseys only) singles takes1+1+6 = 8 turns on singles with less overall exp

while triples take 6 turns with a bit more text since all of them should die at the same time on triples while letting your entire team enjoy maximum exp gains

Always use flash fire. Like somebody else said you're going to just get hit by earthquake/stone edge so flame body won't matter. Rapidash also doesn't have good bulk so you're almost never going to take more than 1 hit from a physical attacker. Oh and it's just a 30% chance. Then there's flash fire which gives you an immunity (these are really useful) that boosts STAB. It's also good for covering attacks against grass and steel types.

I said I'm going for Flash Fire, so I know this.

no good competitive rapidash runs flame body because its activation is inconsistent.

if you're just doing whatever in-game, then either ability works.

Wait, people use Rapidash in competitive? 0.o

Why wouldn't they? Rapidash has good attack and speed and a good movepool. It's not the best Fire type, but it's good enough.

Edited by Anacybele

Rapidash isn't bad in and of itself, but there are just so many other better Fire-types out there that it's just not really worth running one. Unless you like Rapidash.

But that's like the only reason. And can't see it filling a niche that other Pokemon can fill better. Like Talonflame. Or Infernape. Or Blaziken. Or maybe Entei. Or Arcanine. Heck, even Pyroar is more useful, imo.

Rapidash isn't bad in and of itself, but there are just so many other better Fire-types out there that it's just not really worth running one. Unless you like Rapidash.

But that's like the only reason. And can't see it filling a niche that other Pokemon can fill better. Like Talonflame. Or Infernape. Or Blaziken. Or maybe Entei. Or Arcanine. Heck, even Pyroar is more useful, imo.

Wouldn't go as far as Pyroar. :P Rapidash has a better movepool than Pyroar IMO. The others are superior, though.

Rapidash's main utility was in 1st gen when he could spam Fire Spin to trap and kill the enemy.

I can see why they wouldn't. Rapidash has pitiful hp and defense, a weakness to stelth rock, weakness to water, ground and rock moves. These are all incredibly common. His best moves are wild charge and flare blitz, both having recoil damage. Hold item of choice is usually life orb, to boost its passable attack stat. This also gives recoil. It has no reliable recovery, but it does have morning sun, which is nice.

It does have a niche in wild charge and low kick, meaning rock and water types can't switch in themselves that easily.

Rapidash is just outclassed in so many ways. (Not saying you should not use it, but it is in the NeverUsed tier for a reason)

If only it would get the ability sheer force, I could see it rising to UU at least.

Edited by Vicious Sal

I can see why they wouldn't. Rapidash has pitiful hp and defense, a weakness to stelth rock, weakness to water, ground and rock moves.

Um, all Fire types are weak to most or all of these. By this logic, nobody should ever use ANY Fire types and that's just not true. Fire takes out most of those durable resistant Steel types.

Pyroar is worse than Rapidash, imo, even though I love both. Pyroar also has the Normal type, giving it a weakness to Fighting type moves as well as the ones Vicious Sal mentioned.

Edited by Anacybele