WORLD CUP 2014

Parrhesia

didn't see France vs Nigeria nor Belgium vs USA.

Honestly, Nigeria and USA played well too, just so you know, and it was a similiar situation. France and Belgium could be said that they didn't control their games too.

It's gonna be some interesting Quarter Finals.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we're up to Quarters and I'm kinda disappoint by some teams like Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina and Germany. I expected most of them, specifically Netherlands, Germany and Argentina to win their respective matches with much less effort by a wide margin, not necessarily of goals but mainly of showing superiority along all the game. I don't know if their performance have been meh overall (in comparison to past performances) or is it that other teams are getting competent. I mean, teams like Chile, Mexico, Algeria and Switzerland actually had the chance to beat "high tiered" teams; didn't see France vs Nigeria nor Belgium vs USA. Also, I expected much more from Costa Rica after defeating both Uruguay and Italy, but well, let's see how things come up.

So far the most entertaining WC I've seen so far

um, it's not like chile, mexico, and algeria are bad teams, lol

lawl, there's been bucnh of matches with rain Monocle

edit: and dat sun holy shit, the sun is like white I dunno, poor players @:@

Edited by Quintessence

You know that Switzerland is ranked like 6th or something right? They don't have any big-name players so they get over-looked a lot, and they also underperformed in the group stages. But they're still a pretty dangerous team.

Goodness me, this World Cup jas been magnificent so far. Every single second round game has been one worth watching. And i have to say, the goalkeepers in this tournamen have been nothing short of outstanding. Howard saved USA's asses 16 times, Ochoa made them brilliant saves, Enyeama doing brilliant (apart from the blunder against France).

Its the best world cup i've seen (im not very old, but still...) and it can only get better when Colombia destroy Brazil

And still we got Julio Cesar doing one sensational defense against Chile and defending two penalties. Navas made at least five excellent saves against Greece. Ospina, while part of the strongest offensive team so far, also made very important ones, and is the keeper that conceded the least. M'Bolhi also made a impressive performance against Germany.

This Round of 16 didn't have a single DULL game. Best Cup ever.

This Round of 16 didn't have a single DULL game. Best Cup ever.

:Argentina: x :Switzerland:

What a shitty game.

(I'd say that's the only one, admittedly it did get better towards the end.)

(I'd say that's the only one, admittedly it did get better towards the end.)

at the time of my post it was bad. overtime was ridiculously good tho.

I'm glad I jinxed this

um, it's not like chile, mexico, and algeria are bad teams, lol

Between all those I was convinced Mexico would beat Netherlands and Algeria would play nicely against Germany. And I thought Brazil would easily beat Chile.

Edited by Bird Jesus

Between all those I was convinced Mexico would beat Netherlands and Algeria would play nicely against Germany. And I thought Brazil would easily beat Chile.

I too thought that Mexico would win, but after taking off Dos Santos Netherlands picked up their game

As much as I like coach Herrera, he fucked up big time when he subbed off Giovani dos Santos. Dood was the best offensive player, why would you invite the Dutch squad into your box like that? Specially when Robben and Depay were flared up even when the pressure was on them.

You know that Switzerland is ranked like 6th or something right? They don't have any big-name players so they get over-looked a lot, and they also underperformed in the group stages. But they're still a pretty dangerous team.

It is laughable to say that they are the sixth-best team in the world. The ranking system is broken and always has been. They aren't weak, but they never looked like a contender. Quarterfinals would've been a great run for them.

I didn't think they were the 6th rated team in the world either just looking at their roster (their best player is... Shaqiri?), but I haven't really watched any of their matches and assumed that their players had great chemistry or something for them to get that high.

I didn't think they were the 6th rated team in the world either just looking at their roster (their best player is... Shaqiri?), but I haven't really watched any of their matches and assumed that their players had great chemistry or something for them to get that high.

FIFA rankings are based on Elo rating and other bullshit numbers that don't work well in football. They are not created based on judgement of player ability/team cohesion/tactics/etc. but on a rigid formula and it doesn't translate well to practice.

The ratings really work in tennis better than football. For example, I have no idea how Greece are higher up then the Netherlands or France.

this downtime is killing me

rip in peace, when you're a nerd and you have nothing else to do

Any predictions for the Quarters?

Edited by Tryhard