Please don't remind me of Mike.

Hahaha it's best that I don't. :P

Don't remind me of the Bad Ends in Nasu's works, though. That particular one still terrifies me. I could never be so cruel to my own characters. :(

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because has no girlfriends to bang, obvs.

Not that much different to Fate or HF good end.

Why is Mind of Steel considered a bad end? Possibly because Shirou doesn't have a means of winning the war after that.

He kills the main girl of the route/one person he really cares (cared) for (According to Kotomine he's able to win the war like that).

Edited by Assurhaddon

Why is Mind of Steel considered a bad end? Possibly because Shirou doesn't have a means of winning the war after that.

Because Shirou dies, in a sense. He stops being an ally of justice and just becomes a robotic killing machine just like Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero. In case people don't remember, Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero wasn't a very nice guy.

Shirou "dies" in HF anyways - either he sacrifices his ideals and people's lifes for Sakura or he becomes even worse than Kiritsugu. So or so, he stops being an ally of justice.

Edited by Assurhaddon

I understand. It's a moral death.

Still, I'm puzzled with how he wins the war in that ending, because he has no servant anymore, I believe he still doesn't have Archer's arm at that point and he still has to fight Rin, who surely didn't enjoy the fact he killed her sister.

I hated how the game protects Sakura in HF. About half of the bad ends in that route involve you trying to kill her for the greater good (a completely sensible thing to do), and the game punishes you for doing it. Since Sakura herself isn't very likeable (actually THE big failure of HF as a story), it's very annoying. In the last one, where you're meant to kill Saber, if you save Saber instead you're treated to one of the most horrible bad ends in the game (not in terms of quality but in terms of how sickening it is) and in the Taiga Dojo the game even sarcastically reminds that, if you want to be with Saber, play the Saber route...

HF was a route meant to shock, and, like Shirou, you're supposed to abandon your fondness for the other characters for Sakura's sake, which could've worked if Sakura was a better character...

Not to mention one of the coolest Shirou fights (in Sparks Liner High) is wasted as a bad end...

I understand. It's a moral death.

Still, I'm puzzled with how he wins the war in that ending, because he has no servant anymore, I believe he still doesn't have Archer's arm at that point and he still has to fight Rin, who surely didn't enjoy the fact he killed her sister.

I hated how the game protects Sakura in HF. About half of the bad ends in that route involve you trying to kill her for the greater good (a completely sensible thing to do), and the game punishes you for doing it. Since Sakura herself isn't very likeable (actually THE big failure of HF as a story), it's very annoying. In the last one, where you're meant to kill Saber, if you save Saber instead you're treated to one of the most horrible bad ends in the game (not in terms of quality but in terms of how sickening it is) and in the Taiga Dojo the game even sarcastically reminds that, if you want to be with Saber, play the Saber route...

HF was a route meant to shock, and, like Shirou, you're supposed to abandon your fondness for the other characters for Sakura's sake, which could've worked if Sakura was a better character...

Not to mention one of the coolest Shirou fights (in Sparks Liner High) is wasted as a bad end...

Actually, killing Sakura was Rin's idea.

And how is Sakura annoying? Seriously, I don't get that.

Also, calling bullshit on your claim about the dead ends. Only about 4 or 5 are caused by refusing Sakura, all the others are from pissing off either Ilya, Zouken, Rin, or Kotomine.

Actually, killing Sakura was Rin's idea.

And how is Sakura annoying? Seriously, I don't get that.

Also, calling bullshit on your claim about the dead ends. Only about 4 or 5 are caused by refusing Sakura, all the others are from pissing off either Ilya, Zouken, Rin, or Kotomine.

I didn't say Sakura was annoying. Well you could say that I said it based on the context, but I didn't say the words... :P

Your call is accepted. It's been four years since I last read the VN. I don't remember some details, and I didn't go through all the bad ends myself either. I couldn't stomach it.

What I meant is that, well, you play as Shirou. And Shirou, in HF, wouldn't want to kill Sakura under any circumstances. However, this desire needs to translate into the player as well, which is where I think HF fails. I couldn't bond with Sakura the way Shirou did.

That said, though, I think Sakura has some redeeming qualities, especially in the looks department. And IMO she's the best pair for Shirou. But I prefer the other heroines as characters, simple as that.

There are stupid reasons for hating her, though. Back when I read the VN, I heard the Japanese don't like Sakura because she isn't a virgin. That's silly IMO. She was raped by the worms AND her brother, so even in a culture that values virginity (hypothetically speaking since I don't know much about Japan), her situation is perfectly understandable.

Edited by Waifu Cordelia

The entire point of Shirou's character is that he doesn't want anybody to die. His big change across the VN is that he has to learn that it is impossible and that keeping his idealism will, as the UBW route showed, lead to his downfall.

Japan doesn't "dislike Sakura beacuse she's not a virgin". They don't actually dislike Sakura, they just love Saber beacuse she is incredibly bland and loyal, and that turns the average otaku into a fawning moron. Sakura was number 4 on the last popularity poll, she's more popular than Rin on the whole FFS.

I may as well chime in an opinion here on the whole meta series:

Tsukihime - It's dated but the amateury aesthetic compliments the somewhat more mysterious and tense nature of the Far Side routes, much like the original Higurashi Sound Novels. Near Side Tsukihime reads like a wet turd, both the Arc and Ciel routes are pretty much a big waste of time. The manga improved massively over the VN in terms of handling Arc route, and seamlessly integrated story threads from all over the game. I still have a soft spot for Far Side, but honestly the Manga's a much more well put together product for it's primary story. Kagetsu Toyha is pretty much what you'd expect, fanwank for a fandisc. Some of the side stories are great though.

Melty Blood - Only the original game/react have a plot worth talking about, and it was decent. Not much else to say about it. I used to play MB competitively, and was probably in the top 3 players in EU for AACC (I actually bought a Physical copy of Carnival Phantasm BD Box 3 to own that game lol), but I quit after winning our final community tournament in Finland beacuse of the direction French Bread took the the game with setplay nonsense, despite it having the some of the most unique neutral and pressure games of any fighter. I picked up EXVS instead. Unrelated, but fuck Uniel.

F/SN - Fate sucks, UBW sucks, HF is okay.

F/SN on the whole is too caught up in spectacle and grandeur, and basically every single main character is incredibly boring or insufferably annoying. Rin is the most interesting character who gets a fair amount of spotlight, but she regresses massively into the typical clingy japanese girl far too easily (It's retroactively justified by Fate/Zero but come on, you know he wasn't writing with that in mind). Almost every good thing anyone cares to list about this game is dedicated to some kind of special attack or set piece. All of the minor characters are by far the most intruiging, which is basically why HF edges out the others since it gives them much more spotlight. I have no real hype for the new series at all.

Fate/Zero - The novels are great, the anime bastardised them. They went the F/SN route for the anime and overly focused on spectacle and set pieces at the cost of the development of much of the cast. The novels do a far better job of examining everyone's motivations and experiences in this war, in particular Caster and Uryuu suffer from massive character assassination (How the hell can you remove that fantastic conversation about the nature of god and humanty from those two?). They had a terrible Rin fanservice episode that makes a total mockery of Uryuu as a character, and then managed to completely botch the ending because they ran out of time and episodes. Good fucking job.

Fate/Extra - Shitty grindfest RPS game with some nice moments and a surprisingly good finale, but nothing really worth noting otherwise. Getting some more backstory on EMIYA is cool, Caster's intearction with Pieceman are also worth how tedious her playthrough is.

Prismid - Haven't watched because it looked more like fetish pandering than an actual mahou shoujo (fuck you, magical girl anime is not all fetish pandering)

Kara no Kyoukai - Easily the best thing Nasu ever stuck his fingers in, the adaptation of movie 5 in particular is one of the most well directed and put together pieces of animation in the last decade. Just about everything to do with this franchise is near perfect, it has all the mystery and tension, no meaningless filler or 20 year explanations, it raises far more philisophical questions than anything else he's written combined, AND it has all that jazz you can shitpost over in powerlevel discussions if you're into that. And it has a CONSISTENT theme that is actually explored. It even has fucking Kajiura with some of her best compositions. There's still Oblivion Recorder which is a mess though, Azaka as a character in general is pretty much WHY and Nasu's understanding of How Drugs Work in the finale is all sorts of hilarious. But everything else is extremely well realised and pretty much makes up for it.

Battle Moon Wars - Best Type Moon thing and it's not even official. Actually the game plays like ass, like most SRW games, but my god, the integrated plot of that is something that only early SRW games got close to doing (the days when Devil Gundam took over Axis instead of us just getting another fucking 00 or Seed Destiny arc stuck somewhere else by itself...).

Carnival Phantasm - Hit or miss, not much to say otherwise. Was pretty amusing overall though.

Edited by Irysa

I don't see them as flaws actually. I guess it's a matter of opinion. I disliked HF because I grew attached to the characters in other routes and HF ruins most of the characters.

After reading that wall of text, I concluded that I like Fate/ series so much, I hardly care about all those flaws :'D

Any game with TM characters? GET. wellnotreally,butyougetthepoint

"TM characters"?

everybody should read tsukhime. it's amazing. The only bad part is having to reread scenes which gets boring. (I have a 100% save file so i can't tell if it's a new scene or not)

Edited by GO WITH YOUR GUTREAD GUY

I don't see them as flaws actually. I guess it's a matter of opinion. I disliked HF because I grew attached to the characters in other routes and HF ruins most of the characters.

How does HF "ruin" most of the characters? Shirou is like the only one who changes drastically and I'm pretty that's kind of the fucking point of the 3 routes (he's still a shitty character either way though).

Like, do you mean you don't like that half of the cast are removed from the story promptly beause ~circumstances~ or what, because that isn't the same thing.

After reading that wall of text, I concluded that I like Fate/ series so much, I hardly care about all those flaws :'D

Fine too. I wouldn't lie, some of the high points in the series were pretty awesome at the time but I don't think any of them left an impression on me aside from anything involving Kotomine in HF.

How does HF "ruin" most of the characters? Shirou is like the only one who changes drastically and I'm pretty that's kind of the fucking point of the 3 routes (he's still a shitty character either way though).

Like, do you mean you don't like that half of the cast are removed from the story promptly beause ~circumstances~ or what, because that isn't the same thing.

I think he's talking about how half of the cast gets killed off in the first third.

@Junko- I'm 95% sure Tsukihime has an option in the menu that let's you skip scenes you've already played.

except it comes up for all scenes even scenes that i haven't watched because 100% save.