Favorite and Hardest Etrian Odyssey

Original Alear

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Etrian Odyssey?

• Never Played
    • Etrian Odyssey
    • Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
    • Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
    • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
    • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl
  2. 2. Which Etrian Odyssey Did You Find the Hardest?

• Never Played
    • Etrian Odyssey I
    • Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
    • Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
    • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
    • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl

I'm just curious, as I've been playing IV and Untold a lot recently. Post any basic information about how much you played each one, assuming you played any. My favorite was III and the original was probably the hardest for me, especially the beginning.

-I beat the 5th stratum boss of EO. I barely explored stratum 6 and didn't fight any of the dragons.

-I beat the 5th stratum boss of EOII. I think I beat 2/3 dragons but I can't remember exactly. I didn't fight either of the 6th stratum bosses or Muckdile. I explored up to floor 24 of the 6th stratum.
-I had a complete guild card in EOIII, so I did almost everything there is to do in that game. The only notable thing I haven't done is take on the elder dragon with only 2 of my characters and 3 of the NPCs. I kind of expect that doing that is even tougher than the stratum 6 boss.

-I'm on the 5th stratum in EOIV. I think the only optional boss I've defeated is the baboon king, or whatever his name was.

-I am just starting on EO Untold. I haven't gotten a single game over yet, for what it's worth (it did get kind of close when I ran into a stalker by accident one time...).

The only really memorable party I had was in EOIII, where I ended up using 2 gladiators, one sword and one club, along with an arbalist (sp?), zodiac and hoplite. Naturally I had to rely on medicas, thericas and the like for healing the whole game through (well, I brought in a monk for postgame).

Etrian Odyssey III spoilers:

My biggest regret is that the branched pathways in EOIII meant my party was overpowered for the battles against Kujara, the Deep Princess and the Progenitor. So I don't really know what kind of challenge those bosses normally offer.

I only played EO3 and 4. I liked 4 more and found 3 harder, but 3 might have been harder because it was my first EO. I still voted for it.

I only played EO4 and EO:U. Also have EO1, but dropped it in favor of EO:U, since they're highly similar. Think I preferred EO4 a bit more, but EO:U was harder.

ALSO, since this is an Etrian Odyssey game, I have a question. I'm on the post game dungeon in EO:U. I've completed all of the quests and am working on defeating the three dragons. I have a really big problem. There's apparently a quest and a dragon that is supposed to appear after you take the quest about the wyvern. I've completed the wyvern quest, but I never got the quest on the dragon that is supposed to follow it. If anyone is this far ahead is my game copy borked or did I screw up somewhere?

1, 2, 3 and 4. And the demo of Untold

I've only beaten 1, 3 and 4. They're also the ones I have a copy of. Legends of the Titan is my favorite, accesibility everywhere. As far as hardest, haha I have no idea, so I picked 'never played'.

Alraune is my favorite boss

I like the look of the classes and portraits of 2 the most and the implied stuff about the bosses and enemies in general.

I think 4 is the hardest since the first time you go anywhere the odds of you getting your faced torn apart are pretty high while you can handle mostly everything save for some FOEs in the other games. The 6th labyrinth is the most frightening labyrinth so far since every battle can mean death more so than usual. Although the atmosphere of the EO2s 6th stratum is still my favorite it's kind of easily navigated and the enemies are a non issue because of broken crap you can use.

Only bosses I haven;t been able to defeat are the 6th stratum boss from 3 and the final two optional bosses from 4. Haven't played Untold because meh.

I've only completed EOIV, though I played a bit of EOIII. I enjoyed IV since its difficulty was the sort that generally kept me on my toes without driving me completely insane. My sense is that EOIII is sort of the same way, but that the nature of the ocean quest precludes a blind, casual-effficiency playthrough.

I'm voting for EO4. The story in EO3 was better and this has nothing to do with Kujura being easy on the eyes, but I liked the shorter dungeons, even if the overworld mechanics were kinda frustrating in the beginning. The sixth stratum was creepy as hell, and the events leading to the ending were. . .both torturous and amazing.

There's just something about the general mood in EO2 that always got to me. I'm fond of Lagaard's environment, and that always made me immersed while playing the game. Definitely the one I'm most fond of, even if some skills were coded wrong to the point of almost uselessness.

EO3 was fantastic and I generally consider it the hardest, but there's probably some fault in overexperimenting with classes and subclasses that got me in very suboptimal spots. It's really cool though.

Edited by Xinnidy

ALSO, since this is an Etrian Odyssey game, I have a question. I'm on the post game dungeon in EO:U. I've completed all of the quests and am working on defeating the three dragons. I have a really big problem. There's apparently a quest and a dragon that is supposed to appear after you take the quest about the wyvern. I've completed the wyvern quest, but I never got the quest on the dragon that is supposed to follow it. If anyone is this far ahead is my game copy borked or did I screw up somewhere?

I haven't played untold that far. But I did dig up a possible answer on gfaqs:

After you access 27/28F, the Blizzard King and Storm Emperor will become available as quests that require you to fight them on 15F and 25F respectively, the former a special area accessible from 16F.

The fire dragon becomes available after reaching 29F and completing the quest to kill the Wyvern. Killing the Wyvern outside of the quest will not count and you'll have to wait 14 in-game-days for it to respawn.

So if you haven't advanced to floor 29 yet, that might be why you haven't seen this third dragon. Sorry if this isn't why.

Huh ... I think when I beat the wyvern the first time I wasn't on floor 29. That explains so much, thanks!

I've played EOIV up to near the end.

I beat the Fire Elemental Dragon, but still had trouble with the others, and started exploring the 6th stratum (I beat the Dragon to be able to have more levels).

I think it's my favourite, because of the Maps exploration.

I also started playing EOU (at the 3rd Stratum now), and I played up to the 4th Floor on EOII, but decide to start a new party.

It seems to be pretty great.

I don't really started to play EOII yet, and EOI doesn't interrest me that much after EOU.

EOIII may be the hardest IO tried so far, but I voted never played.
EOU is the easiest, if only for the possibility to change to Picnic Mode at any moment (I picked it to beat the Golem, but switched to Standard afterwards, because the lack of challenge cheapened the experience).

I really love these games, but I'm not sure why.

Being able to explore an unknown world is really exciting.