Is Dozla underrated?

Hi! I'm alive!

So what are you think about him? IMO he is worth using. He can take hit like brick (even magic strikes, because this huge HP) and have really nice attack power. You actually need some brick in Ephraim route like in ch12 (blocking reinforcement from ship). I absolutely love his waterwalk in ch13, because he can carry Dussel. You might say that fillers also can do that, but Tanessa have to be unpromoted and Cormag might have other things to do (also, he don't like bolting :/). He can basically ORKO everything because halberd. Surviving 2 strikes of bolting without holly water is also nice. In Father and Son he can take reinforcements on both sides, because he can get swordslayer (who else wants it?). In ch15 he doesn't do anything amaizing. After ch15 fight almost doesn't exist.

His main problem is that Garcia do almost everything what he can, but joins bit earlier. In other side you don't need any effort to have Dozla with godly 9SPD!

If you complain about hit rates, you can use Hatchet.

Edited by Nicolas

Dozla is similar to Bartre in that he needs a Speedwing to get going and is otherwise a decent foot unit (fun fact: their growths are exactly the same). Unlike Bartre though, he doesn't have to wait for one and his only competition for it is Duessel. (It's remarkable how many enemies are still hovering around 6-7 AS at this point in the game.) And even without it he can still pull his weight thanks to above-average mobility and the occasional crit-kill. He'll never be a great unit since mounts + weak enemies = stampede, but I'd put him above the swordies and trainees sans Ross any day.

I feel like most people generally underrate him, but that doesn't mean I think he's good - he's adequate but not impressive, basically. 9 AS base is really awful, even though he does have a reasonably okay 40% growth, he doesn't really have time to put it to enough use. And while his base HP is good for a prepromote, his low defences mean he gets killed moderately quickly anyway - he can take one or two strong hits from most anything, but can't take sustained attacks. However, his base stats overall are still decent for when he joins (chapter wise, not level wise), and his growths are overall above average, which means he makes for a decent enough filler unit.

Edited by Tables

He's good for a few chapters, then he can't get enough exp to keep up. Even with a speedwing he's not doubling most of the time. But yeah, he's not dumpster tier like people seem to think

The reason Dozla is regarded as Bad is because many of the other units in this game are just so over-the-top good.

Fun fact: Dozla at base doubles Lyon in the final chapter. Doesn't mean he'll do any damage, but the fact that even he can double Lyon is hilarious and shows how heavy as fuck dark tomes were.

I think Dozla's a cool guy. He's not great, but he isn't as awful as people claim him to be. He does his job okay, and his growths are okay.

Fun fact: Dozla at base doubles Lyon in the final chapter. Doesn't mean he'll do any damage, but the fact that even he can double Lyon is hilarious and shows how heavy as fuck dark tomes were.

I think Dozla's a cool guy. He's not great, but he isn't as awful as people claim him to be. He does his job okay, and his growths are okay.

Doesn't nearly everyone double Lyon though ?

Or is that the point.

Dozla.. I generally don't use it because Ross is better in every point.

Or is that the point.

That's the point lol

Or is that the point.

Also, yea that's the point.

And at cap'd levels for both Dozla beats out Ross on HP (by 5).

Just saiyan

Edited by Elieson

Or is that the point.

I guess that's the point (and it highlights how much of a failure Lyon is as a boss).

Back to the topic, I don't bother with Dozla for reasons Tables stated (and if I really wanted a Berserker, I'd rather just settle for Ross).

If you complain about hit rates, you can use Hatchet.

The only problem there is that there's only one hatchet in the game, and it could very well be running low on uses (possibly even broken) by the time Dozla arrives.

Anyway, I do agree that Dozla is somewhat of an under-appreciated unit. I wouldn't consider him a "good" unit, but he has some use. There isn't much I can say about him that hasn't already been said.

I feel like most people generally underrate him, but that doesn't mean I think he's good - he's adequate but not impressive, basically. 9 AS base is really awful, even though he does have a reasonably okay 40% growth, he doesn't really have time to put it to enough use. And while his base HP is good for a prepromote, his low defences mean he gets killed moderately quickly anyway - he can take one or two strong hits from most anything, but can't take sustained attacks. However, his base stats overall are still decent for when he joins (chapter wise, not level wise), and his growths are overall above average, which means he makes for a decent enough filler unit.

I agree ther are many better unit, but he can be helpful (ch13EPH is best example).

However I don't think that he has low defense. 11 def and 8 res is nice. Cormag also has 11 def, but less HP, but everyone call him tank on wings.Give him Vulnerary and he'll be fine.

Handaxe!Gerik is the only axe user you need

Fix'd

Duessel.jpg

HAVE YOU FORGOTEN ABOUT ME?!

OK, but that's not reason to say he is bad. Of course there are better units, but Dozla has some good things, which people don't see.

And sorry, but Ross isn't better at every point. He is growth unit, has awful bases (especially in movement) and need promo item (there are almost no competition, but IMO money is nicer).

Edited by Nicolas

I agree ther are many better unit, but he can be helpful (ch13EPH is best example).

However I don't think that he has low defense. 11 def and 8 res is nice. Cormag also has 11 def, but less HP, but everyone call him tank on wings.Give him Vulnerary and he'll be fine.

6 RES, not 8. Although I'll admit 11 DEF is actually not as bad as I thought (I wasn't able to access the main site at time of posting, I thought it was a little lower), it's still not exactly good though. His defensive stats are very similar to a 20/1 Joshua's defences (Dozla has 3 HP and 1 DEF more), and while yeah, Josh isn't going to be that high levelled at this point (that's probably more like chapter 13 level), Dozla also has to deal with low AS (I don't know if much doubles him, but he's crit prone with only 4 luck and has very little avoid). He probably does tank moderately well anyway, just because this is FE8 and many enemies are quite mediocre.

As for Cormag, he has 12 DEF, not 11, but that's not the issue. He joins 10 levels and a promotion before Dozla, and a chapter earlier as well. He's always vulnerable to magic, but that's not so much of an issue except against like Gorgons and stuff. A 20/1 Cormag has probably fairly comparable survival to like... 20/10 Dozla or so except against Magic/Bows (neither are that common) - and with better avoid to boot.

Edited by Tables

SOLO PHANTOM SHIP AND WE'LL TALK.

Might as well do it properly and have Seth solo the whole game, then. :V

Dozla also has to deal with low AS (I don't know if much doubles him, but he's crit prone with only 4 luck and has very little avoid). He probably does tank moderately well anyway, just because this is FE8 and many enemies are quite mediocre.

Aside from promoted enemies and Mauthe Doogs (which hardly do anything to him at all), there's actually hardly anything that doubles Dozla, even without speedwings. Likewise, it's funny how many enemies in this game actually struggle to have double-digit SKL. So, despite his shitty 4 luck, he doesn't actually have a lot of issues with crits (and there's always the hoplon guard to fall back on).

@Topic: Personally, I appreciate Dozla's tankiness, and his issues offensively aren't very difficult to fix, considering he can OHKO about half the game using either halberds, hammers, swordslayers, or killer axes if his enemy happens to be vulnerable to neither of the former three.

The issue is that a lot of other units in this game are still better than Dozla, overall, but Dozla is nonetheless perfectly usable, and I like using him.

His waterwalking is pretty helpful on Serena's map, I guess. Otherwise he's just a fairly decent combat unit. Nothing that special, but good for 0% growths until you get Innes and Saleh.

The only problem there is that there's only one hatchet in the game, and it could very well be running low on uses (possibly even broken) by the time Dozla arrives.

Anyway, I do agree that Dozla is somewhat of an under-appreciated unit. I wouldn't consider him a "good" unit, but he has some use. There isn't much I can say about him that hasn't already been said.

Even if you are training Ross and still want to use Dozla (what's wrong with you), Ross never doubles when he needs the Hatchet the most. Then when he does double he'll usually want to use a stronger weapon. It's hard to break the Hatchet even if you try.

Aside from promoted enemies and Mauthe Doogs (which hardly do anything to him at all), there's actually hardly anything that doubles Dozla, even without speedwings. Likewise, it's funny how many enemies in this game actually struggle to have double-digit SKL. So, despite his shitty 4 luck, he doesn't actually have a lot of issues with crits (and there's always the hoplon guard to fall back on).

I'm so used to playing (usually self-made) difficulty patches and challenges that I forget just how bad most enemies in FE8 are before the lategame. Like wow, 13 AS is too high for enemies to reach? That sounds crazy and yet I can believe it.

Even if you are training Ross and still want to use Dozla (what's wrong with you), Ross never doubles when he needs the Hatchet the most. Then when he does double he'll usually want to use a stronger weapon. It's hard to break the Hatchet even if you try.

When using either earlygame axe fighter, I can't remember the last time I didn't break/almost break the Hatchet. Accurate 1-2 range on an axe user is just too good. Sometimes they want the extra power of Iron/Hand Axes, but usually, the Hatchet's accuracy makes it the weapon of choice I find. Not to mention the Hatchet does weigh a lot les (I think Pirate!Ross loses 2 AS from the Hand Axe?), and doubling with the Hatchet is almost always going to be better than a single (somewhat inaccurate) hit from the Hand Axe. It might only be a thin speed band this applies in but I think it's one a lot of enemies may be met at.

That isn't to say it's not perfectly viable to keep it around if you want it for Dozla, but I think there's a good chance it'll be broken or heavily damaged by then, just because it's convenient. (It's also unsellable and saves money on Hand Axes, since we all know how useful an extra 500G isn't in Sacred Stones).

Edited by Tables