petition to delete serious discussion

Darros

Seriously though, the holier-than-thou attitude some users (hai dondon) have in that board are the reasons why people loathe it to begin with. Theres always "those guys" in an SD forum who think they know everything and come off as pretty goddamn insufferable. So people stop posting reasonably. Cuz seriously, if everyone who posted in that forum were Rehab (in terms of how to argue), more people would be willing to go in there and post. Instead we get Chiki.

the ideal poster boy for serious discussion is someone who makes overly wordy posts and usually seems like he doesn't have confidence in what he's talking about (though i'm sure this is not the case).

well, i'm not going to apologize for not posting like rehab, lol. nor should i.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Informing uninformed 3rd parties. A discussion doesn't solely serve those actively discussing.

At that point you are enabling ego-driven behavior, though.

See: My last post in this thread.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

the ideal poster boy for serious discussion is someone who makes overly wordy posts and usually seems like he doesn't have confidence in what he's talking about (though i'm sure this is not the case).

teehee...

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAAHA

you seriously described yourself.

Why bother if the other side isn't going to take your view seriously? Their entire reason for being there is to argue against you in any way they can.

I dunno! I'm kinda bad with competition sometimes. I try to take them seriously, or I'd like to think I try, and I just kinda hope I explain myself well enough to get a little something back.

^no that's me

Sure, that works.

hey man, i do this, and it does work. i learned about comet earlier today (and to be honest, i don't really know why he never replied, i was not being mean at all). it's why i post there. i learned about dwalin. i learned about olwen, and rehab, and dondon, and esau. it works.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

He was referring to you...

Loki knows that.

I mean he went back in the parentheses and said (except not), I'm saying that's lit. me, honestly

TBH I'm not only being awkward and cowardly etc. about that (though that's also me), I kinda see posting like that as the lesser evil to, say, presenting something as unassailable/as fact, and then getting told by somebody who clearly knows better/is more experienced "you're a fucking idiot, it's actually like ___." Like, even for most of the things I've spent a lot of time thinking or learning about, I'm no professional, and I'd just value their opinion about their expertise more than mine. I'd prefer to note that even at my best, all I can give is my perspective.

I kinda got some reinforcement in my head on this particular thing from, of all things, a Total War loading screen quote, from Shogun 2; a quote from Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings, where he essentially said "people who are at best neophytes about shit tend to talk like they got it all figured out, and like everything they say on the matter is fact. When you meet an actual master of something, they won't talk like that."

This may not actually be the case, as I'm sure there are plenty of opinionated GOATs out there, but, fuck, Miyamoto Musashi said that apparently. I thought that was cool enough to absorb. It tends to be what feels best to me to try for, anyway

I kinda got some reinforcement in my head on this particular thing from, of all things, a Total War loading screen quote, from Shogun 2; a quote from Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings, where he essentially said "people who are at best neophytes about shit tend to talk like they got it all figured out, and like everything they say on the matter is fact. When you meet an actual master of something, they won't talk like that."

miyamoto musashi ought to heed his own advice.

educated perspectives are worth more than uneducated perspectives. it's dangerous to think that you always have it all figured out, and it's important to recognize when you don't - but if you are relatively knowledgeable in a certain area, you shouldn't sell yourself short. don't apologize for being elitist if you know what you're talking about.

you learned that they are douchebags har har har

we all are, sometimes.

miyamoto musashi ought to heed his own advice.

educated perspectives are worth more than uneducated perspectives. it's dangerous to think that you always have it all figured out, and it's important to recognize when you don't - but if you are relatively knowledgeable in a certain area, you shouldn't sell yourself short. don't apologize for being elitist if you know what you're talking about.

if you want someone to listen, and be engaged in what you're talking about, though, it's best to not behave like an elitist.

if you want someone to listen, and be engaged in what you're talking about, though, it's best to not behave like an elitist.

i don't think this is necessarily true. one sometimes needs to behave with a certain amount of confidence in order to be listened to, and at that point he is vulnerable to accusations of elitism.

The reason why Serious Discussion is so controversial on this forum is because the vast majority of the people on this forum aren't mature enough to handle serious discussions. Even people like Florina Stark who are in their 30s can't do it. It's so much fun to see people get angry for having perfectly normal, serious discussions.

The reason why Serious Discussion is so controversial on this forum is because the vast majority of the people on this forum aren't mature enough to handle serious discussions. Even people like Florina Stark who are in their 30s can't do it. It's so much fun to see people get angry for having perfectly normal, serious discussions.

Making people angry on the internet never seemed like it was much worth the effort. It's about the worst place you can go to have a 'normal, serious discussion'.

Making people angry on the internet never seemed like it was much worth the effort. It's about the worst place you can go to have a 'normal, serious discussion'.

I'm not trying to. I'm trying to have serious discussions. But people here seem to get really offended over that sort of thing.

I'm not trying to. I'm trying to have serious discussions. But people here seem to get really offended over that sort of thing.

Don't mind this post.

EDIT: As in, pretend these words don't exist.

Edited by eclipse

What is this...I don't even...

On the other hand, Darros created the Last to Post Wins Thread, so I shouldn't be surprised...

Edited by James Bond

It's a containment board, isn't it?

it IS a containment board, you know.

You had ONE job. one. job.