petition to delete serious discussion

Darros

basically the only difference from usual Kelsper would be you getting to call people scum

like I don't already

but now I can get away with it

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am actually more bothered by the desire to delete serious discussion than i am by most of the topics in serious discussion.

EDIT: there seems to be a mentality that laughing at the notion of serious discussion is a cool thing to do; some members treat it as a form of entertainment at the expense of others, while others appear to think that everything in there is stupid. this is troubling. the reaction to the "is obama a terrorist?" thread is a great example - it's a perfectly valid question, but to some users, there's something funny about it. i'm sorry, but i don't see it.

Edited by dondon151

i am actually more bothered by the desire to delete serious discussion than i am by most of the topics in serious discussion.

EDIT: there seems to be a mentality that laughing at the notion of serious discussion is a cool thing to do; some members treat it as a form of entertainment at the expense of others, while others appear to think that everything in there is stupid. this is troubling.

In seriousness (haha) I don't think that is the issue. They do not like the types of people that thrive there on argument itself, who seek no resolution and only argue because it's fun.

In seriousness (haha) I don't think that is the issue. They do not like the types of people that thrive there on argument itself, who seek no resolution and only argue because it's fun.

you must be crazy if you think that arguments resolve without the intervention or judgment of a third party. this is a rarity.

Edited by dondon151

you must be crazy if you think that arguments resolve without the intervention or judgment of a third party. this is a rarity.

What does my belief have to do with whether they get resolved or not? People want arguments to get resolved whether that is a realistic expectation or not.

wishing away serious discussion based on an unrealistic expectation (i.e., because the general populace doesn't like unresolved arguments) is a poor idea.

in any case, what should the SD users have to do with it?

Edited by dondon151

The point of serious discussion is resolution. Without achieving the end goal, there is no point. It is a waste of time unless you get off on telling other people they are wrong ad infinitum.

EDIT: there seems to be a mentality that laughing at the notion of serious discussion is a cool thing to do; some members treat it as a form of entertainment at the expense of others, while others appear to think that everything in there is stupid. this is troubling. the reaction to the "is obama a terrorist?" thread is a great example - it's a perfectly valid question, but to some users, there's something funny about it. i'm sorry, but i don't see it.

Holy shit!

tumblr_inline_mp5xeivV501qz4rgp.gif

lmao!!!!

*snort*

The fact you took this thread seriously....

Wow.

I think I'm getting something.

Yes, I'm certain of it. I've identified the problem.

92YsS.png

*chortle*

I dunno, thats actually why people like the shit show. Cuz of....

wishing away serious discussion based on an unrealistic expectation (i.e., because the general populace doesn't like unresolved arguments) is a poor idea.

in any case, what should the SD users have to do with it?

BAahahahhhahahaha!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahah!!

The point of serious discussion is resolution. Without achieving the end goal, there is no point. It is a waste of time unless you get off on telling other people they are wrong ad infinitum.

Most humans get off on telling other people they are wrong, to be fair.

The point of serious discussion is resolution.

there is no way that this serious discussion about what constitutes serious discussion is going to be resolved. that does not make the discussion any less of a discussion, nor does it make it any less serious.

discussion does not necessitate resolution - look it up.

Holy shit!

lmao!!!!

*snort*

The fact you took this thread seriously....

Wow.

explain to me how this copout works. lol. let's make a topic about something, but it's actually not serious at all, so any motion of dissent within the topic is treated disparagingly while any motion of agreement is treated with tacit approval. it's not like the premise behind this topic has any real basis at all, nope. you can just hide behind your shield of facetiousness.

Edited by dondon151

there is no way that this serious discussion about what constitutes serious discussion is going to be resolved. that does not make the discussion any less of a discussion, nor does it make it any less serious.

explain to me how this copout works. lol.

You have to be the most joyless member on this forum. Wow. Just wow.

tumblr_mr695nyqMa1szim6vo1_400.gif

If you honestly thought that people were ultimately serious about this thread's proposition, then...thats not our problem.

explain to me how this copout works. lol.

A thing is a thing, you are arguing a tautology. That thing only has value if it offers some kind of reward. Serious discussion without resolution is serious discussion. I never disputed that.

But it's worthless.